News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual Hobbies (other than Roadgeekery)

Started by vtk, August 03, 2012, 09:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctsignguy

Quote from: deanej on September 02, 2012, 12:38:35 PM
Quote from: ctsignguy on September 01, 2012, 10:34:26 PM
I have some other interests besides collecting old signs, and road trips.....

> Japanese anime....i like the story-telling far better than most American animation....and i also write some anime-based fiction.
I'm absolutely OBSESSED with Sailor Moon!

Ahhh, much of the fiction i write is Sailor Moon-based fan fiction
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

ctsignguy

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2012, 02:28:36 PM
Quote from: ctsignguy on September 01, 2012, 10:34:26 PM
> Playing cards.....no real reason or rhyme to it, just decks of interest to me personally

Mostly novelty decks, I'm guessing? I have a lot of tourism/promotional decks of cards in my collection but most of them don't get played with since as I rule I will not use a deck of cards in a serious game unless it has a reversible back. (The reason for this is because flipping certain cards upside down is a foolproof way collaborating cheaters can share information since it's nearly undetectable.)

Some novelty decks (WSOP/WPT), a few old KEM and Congress decks, some Playtime miniature cards from the 60s and 70s, and a couple of Bicycle decks where each suit has its own color (4-color deck)...and a couple of decks of some very garish 1960s cards from TWA airlines....among others....they dont get played with either (I have some 'normal' decks for that....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Duke87

Anime is one of those things that I probably could get a lot more into if I had a willing partner in crime at it. But without that, there's only so much just sitting there watching stuff by myself that I can take. It's not stimulating enough unless there's a social component to the activity.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ctsignguy

Quote from: Duke87 on September 02, 2012, 10:44:07 PM
Anime is one of those things that I probably could get a lot more into if I had a willing partner in crime at it. But without that, there's only so much just sitting there watching stuff by myself that I can take. It's not stimulating enough unless there's a social component to the activity.

i quite agree...my most recent SO didnt like it, and wouldnt even give it a fair shot.....i have had a couple of friends over to my current place, and they seemed to like it, which makes it better to watch...even my favorite series are hard to watch by myself for any length of time.......

Mdcastle

Quote from: vtk on September 02, 2012, 06:50:54 PM
Quote from: Mdcastle on September 02, 2012, 03:14:55 PM
Roller Coasters

Riding or designing?
Riding mainly, although I did play around with an old DOS based design program many years ago; I haven't kept up with what's current. I've been to these Six Flags Parks: Great America, Great Adventure, and St. Louis; these Cedar Fair parks: Valleyfair, Carowinds, Worlds of Fun, soon going to Kings Dominion. Also Mount Olympus in WI Dells, Universal Islands of Adventure, and Disney Magic Kingdom.
A few of my favorite in no order: Kingda Ka (SFGAdv), Nitro (SFGAdv), Space Mountain (MK), Nighthawk (Carowinds), Prowler(WOF), Superman (SFGAm and SFGAdv), THe Boss (SFSL), High Roller- just for nostalgia (VF), the Batman Rides (SF)

texaskdog

Buying a model train set this month.  Used to have them when I was a teenager.

US71

Quote from: texaskdog on September 03, 2012, 08:43:28 PM
Buying a model train set this month.  Used to have them when I was a teenager.

I had an HO train when I was about 15. Still have it, but it's been boxed up for ages. Someday, I'd like to get it out again, plus my dad's O Scale set.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vtk

I've got several boxes of O27 stuff in the basement.  Haven't had it out in years.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

deathtopumpkins

When I lived at home I usually had some form of an HO scale layout running (also N scale when I was younger), but the past couple years that stuff's all remained boxed up. I'd like to take it out more but it's just such a space, time, and money-consuming hobby.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

NYYPhil777

I'm too into model trains and tracks, and I really loved seeing them in restaurants when I was younger.
But I think, as a roadgeek, that maybe I should build myself a model road network in my house. It sure would use up my relatively-large Hot Wheels collection.
How about that idea?
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

vdeane

How about both?  I've always spent a good chunk of time looking at the roads on model train networks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ce929wax

Besides being a roadgeek and enjoying hobbies related to roadgeekery (i.e. signs, county collecting, general travel) I also enjoy:

Doing a simulation sports league for all four major North American sports and college football.
DXing Radio and TV.
Watching old news clips on Youtube.
Posting videos of my sim sports league and other subjects on YT.
Weather, especially tornadoes.
Playing video games.
Politics.

the49erfan15

As far as collections go, I own around 175 sports jerseys including a few game-worn jerseys.

Going along with that, I also have a collection of 40+ hats. New Era and Mitchell & Ness are my brands of choice.

Traveling to sporting events (I've seen my undergraduate school's basketball team play in 27 different arenas); maps and other geography-related interests; and sports logo/uniform design.
Driven: AK-1, AK-2, AK-3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 39, 40, 57, 59, 64, 65, 69, 70, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 81, 85, 90, 94, 95
Clinched: 16, 85

vtk

Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

the49erfan15

Quote from: vtk on September 10, 2012, 03:09:43 AM
Is that an autographed traffic cone?

Haha, technically yes, but just by me and my friends. I followed my college's basketball team down for a game against University of Miami a few years ago. We won and it was a pretty big early-season upset, and I, uh, "appropriated" one of the traffic cones from the arena's parking lot. I put the score of the game and some quotes from the trip on the "Victory Cone" and we all signed it.
Driven: AK-1, AK-2, AK-3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 39, 40, 57, 59, 64, 65, 69, 70, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 81, 85, 90, 94, 95
Clinched: 16, 85

formulanone

Temporary traffic control and college sports...together at last!

Darkchylde

Dr Frankenstein

I expected a lot of the folks here to be railfans, model railroad enthusiasts, history geeks and sign/license plate/signal collectors. And ham radio enthusiasts because it seems so popular among railfans as well. But now, trekkies, bronies (which I didn't really expect to see outside of deviantART, facebook and furry sites), anime fans, math and geometry enthusiasts, collectors of all sorts (coins, cards, dice, hats, jerseys), fanfic authors and all sorts of role players (D&D, Magic, even live action)... Wow! We're a lot geekier than I initially thought we all were.

Well, I'm a computer programmer, which means that, just like other developers, I also do some of that in my spare time.

I'm a railfan as well. I take pictures of trains and railroads, and I clinch passenger routes, including light rail and subways. I have a disused CSX mainline and siding as my back door neighbour (currently used for forming trains that don't fit in our short intermodal yard). I'm also a plane spotter at times, especially around YUL and YOW. Didn't check YYZ out yet. I'm into those two hobbies enough to be buying an FM scanner.

Once I make enough room in the house, I'll start collecting signs. I already have some license plates, I just haven't unboxed them since moving in. Once I move out of here, I hope to start a signal collection and maybe a HO scale train set.

Speaking of which, I have a project with a friend of mine of building a G scale train set. I want to start designing the layout this winter, so I'm reading a lot online about that.

In sports, I do around 20 days of downhill skiing every winter (used to be 45 when I worked as an instructor), and do volunteer work for a major French Canadian skiing website (which is entirely volunteer-run, in fact).

kphoger

Quote from: Darkchylde on September 11, 2012, 03:54:38 AM
Ponies! :D

At what level of geekdom do I exist, that I immediately thought of the White Ugliness track on Frank Zappa's album Lumpy Gravy?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 11, 2012, 09:18:13 AM
... Wow! We're a lot geekier than I initially thought we all were.

Nah, seems to be par for the course. Not terribly surprised, there's may of the same people with similar interests at many of the car/racing sites I belong to, but each of us has their side-interests.

texaskdog

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on September 07, 2012, 10:20:42 PM
I'm too into model trains and tracks, and I really loved seeing them in restaurants when I was younger.
But I think, as a roadgeek, that maybe I should build myself a model road network in my house. It sure would use up my relatively-large Hot Wheels collection.
How about that idea?

they should have little road/highway sets for us :)  I left Minnesota in 2006 and mom claims nothing of mine is left there so they probably all got throw out, N & HO.  Asked for one for Christmas!

triplemultiplex

The thread did ask for our other unusual hobbies.

Things like golf and fishing and video games and poker and fantasy football aren't really unusual, but I'm sure we all still have "ordinary" hobbies like that.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NYYPhil777

Going to the supermarket to buy a couple of Hot Wheels every one out of five visits is quite unusal in itself, provided I'm a young adult (which I am).
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Alps

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on September 11, 2012, 11:21:45 PM
Going to the supermarket to buy a couple of Hot Wheels every one out of five visits is quite unusal in itself, provided I'm a young adult (which I am).
it was one out of every one visit until I was about 18.

mgk920

Quote from: Steve on September 11, 2012, 11:34:06 PM
Quote from: NYYPhil777 on September 11, 2012, 11:21:45 PM
it was one out of every one visit until I was about 18.

I never got into them, but I do note that they recently went over $1 each....

:verymad:

:-P

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.