News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Provo, UT: I-15 VMS says “God Hates Gays”

Started by Lyon Wonder, August 09, 2012, 04:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyon Wonder

An electronic road sign on I-15 in Provo, UT near Brigham Young University was reprogrammed to say "God Hates Gays".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=704fAF-iatY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/54666287-90/sign-message-signs-dethman.html.csp

Hacked I-15 sign flashed "˜God Hates Gays'
Hate message » UDOT says it will ensure security of road signs.

By Lee Davidson

After one of its mobile construction-zone message signs on Interstate 15 flashed "God Hates Gays," the Utah Department of Transportation says it is now busy ensuring such signs are secured to prevent passers-by from reprogramming them.

On Tuesday night, a sign at Provo's University Avenue exit alternated flashing "Follow detour," and "God Hates Gays."

"Someone broke in and reprogrammed one of our message boards," said Leigh Dethman, spokeswoman for the I-15 Corridor Expansion project that is rebuilding the freeway in Utah County. "It happened sometime after 10 p.m., and was taken down about 5:30 a.m. [Wednesday], but we don't know exactly what time it went up."

Dethman said UDOT did not receive complaint calls, but a contractor noticed the message and stopped it. A video of the sign was posted on YouTube on Thursday, entitled "Really, Provo?"

Dethman said the sign was not secured, allowing any passer-by to reprogram it. "So anyone could have done this," she said.

"The program boards cannot be accessed remotely. So someone had to physically go into the board and reprogram it. This was an isolated incident and this sign was unsecured," she said.

"UDOT has taken appropriation action with the contractor," Dethman said without elaborating. But she did say that UDOT and the contractor are assessing all electronic signs to ensure they are properly secured "so that this never happens again."

Dethman added, "Obviously, this message is extremely offensive," and UDOT condemns it.

" We take this very seriously because these signs are so important to communicating road construction and traffic messages to keep the public informed and safe."

The online video was attracting plenty of negative comments – so one Provo spokeswoman even added a comment there saying the city did not do it, and condemned the message.

"This is not a Provo City sign and of course it does not reflect the opinion of the city. I personally find it very offensive. Despite every effort to prevent it, sometimes signs like this get hacked," wrote Provo spokewoman Helen Anderson.

agentsteel53

it's this sort of asinine immaturity-disguised-as-extremism which will be the downfall of the religious right.  that and old age.  in 20 years, we'll be laughing at these sorts of things the same way we laugh at Klansmen.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Could have been a troll who hates the religious right. In which case good for him.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on August 09, 2012, 04:39:18 PM
Could have been a troll who hates the religious right. In which case good for him.

in this case, I am sticking with Poe's law...

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

I'm not saying I support hacking into VMSes.  I'm not saying God hates gays.  BUT...

I'm sorry, I'm cracking up imagining driving down the highway in the middle of the night and seeing that message.  That was one super-cool prank.  Of course, I completely condemn the action.  Sort of.  Wait, yes, I most certainly do.  I guess.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2012, 05:17:37 PM
I'm not saying I support hacking into VMSes.  I'm not saying God hates gays.  BUT...

I'm sorry, I'm cracking up imagining driving down the highway in the middle of the night and seeing that message.  That was one super-cool prank.  Of course, I completely condemn the action.  Sort of.  Wait, yes, I most certainly do.  I guess.

it doesn't require much intellect to reprogram an unlocked VMS.  "hacking" is overstating it by a severe amount.  it is about as much talent as spray-painting a three-second tag on it.

and besides...

much funnier.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Most definitely.  Maybe this thread should be merged with the one I started about roadgeek jobs for non-engineers.  I'd love to get paid to come up with alternate messages for VMSes.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

The only humor I could have managed to get out of the situation would be from the fact that it was still alternating "GOD HATES GAYS / FOLLOW DETOUR".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Well, yes, it would have been much less funny if the "Follow Detour" part had been removed.  Also funny would have been:

Follow Detour / We Shoot to Kill

Stupid People Ahead / Follow Detour

Follow Detour / Or Else ! ! !

Follow Detour / And Don't Come Back

World Will End 1 Mile / Follow Detour

Follow Detour / Then Eat at Joe's
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

I do not approve of the message that was said as it is like graffiti, but I do not support the act of the lifestyle either.   Plus, God loves everyone!  He hates nobody.  Even those who are the most evil in the world, he loves.  He may not approve of what many of us do, but he loves us unconditionally.

I think this goes in the category of what was said at a New Jersey Wal Mart a few years back by a customer who grabbed a store phone to access the public address system to make that comment about blacks needing to leave the store.  Both are a little to far and give Christians a bad name!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CL

I wholly believe that whoever did this was someone with a bone to pick with the dominant religion around these parts (which, as you may know, is against same-sex marriage, but vociferously condemns any hateful words or discrimination against gays). Believe me—we hate the Westboro Baptist Church way of doing things as much as the next guy.

All this does is perpetuate the stereotype that Utah is nothing but a cultural and intellectual backwater. Which is a shame.
Infrastructure. The city.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2012, 05:54:53 PM
Most definitely.  Maybe this thread should be merged with the one I started about roadgeek jobs for non-engineers.  I'd love to get paid to come up with alternate messages for VMSes.
MIT has been known to hack VMSs left around - and that's not to say they're unsecured, either.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Would this have been better or worse? . .
God hates gays / John 3:16

On the one hand, people might actually read John 3:16 and realize God doesn't hate gays.
On the other hand, . . . well, it's simply terrible!
Male pronouns, please.

BigMattFromTexas

I don't support the lifestyle, but this is completely unnecessary. I'm not ever gonna go out of my way to offend anyone, regardless of sexuality, religion (or lack there of in some cases), or race. As for the Westboro Baptist people, and their "God Hate [ya know...]", they piss me off. I know God doesn't hate anyone. Everyone else might not agree with my views, but oh well.

I do however like those other hacks, about Zombies! Haha.
BigMatt

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2012, 06:01:17 PM
Well, yes, it would have been much less funny if the "Follow Detour" part had been removed.  Also funny would have been:

Or, given the subject of the "hack", "Follow Detour/Then Eat at Chick-Fil-A"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rover_0

Quote from: CL on August 09, 2012, 06:27:07 PM
I wholly believe that whoever did this was someone with a bone to pick with the dominant religion around these parts (which, as you may know, is against same-sex marriage, but vociferously condemns any hateful words or discrimination against gays). Believe me–we hate the Westboro Baptist Church way of doing things as much as the next guy.

All this does is perpetuate the stereotype that Utah is nothing but a cultural and intellectual backwater. Which is a shame.

This. This needs to be said far more. I'm so sick of being lumped into this "backwater" stereotype. I can't say that it isn't an LDS Church member doing this, but if it is, they're likely towards the fringe side of things.

Not to get on the soapbox but IIRC said church is fine with civil unions, and I (as a member) am too.

Above all else, though: Can't everyone just get along?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

NYYPhil777

Quote from: kphoger on August 09, 2012, 06:01:17 PM

I have an idea:

Bud Shuster's I-99 Ahead/Detour NOW!
:biggrin:
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on August 10, 2012, 04:02:14 PM

BigMatt

Wasn't one who used once the classic "All your bases belong to us"?

US71

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 12, 2012, 09:53:32 PM

Someone else once used "Gort Klaatu barada nikto"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Special K

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 12, 2012, 09:53:32 PM
Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on August 10, 2012, 04:02:14 PM

BigMatt

"All your base are belong to us."

Beltway

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 12, 2012, 09:04:21 PM

I have an idea:

How about ...

Pennsylvania Ahead
Detour Now
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

NYYPhil777

Quote from: Beltway on August 15, 2012, 05:41:33 PM

I have an idea:

How about ...

Pennsylvania Ahead
Detour Now
Other than I-99 and Breezewood, what do you have against Pennsylvania?  :eyebrow:
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Ian

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 15, 2012, 07:17:09 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 15, 2012, 05:41:33 PM

I have an idea:

How about ...

Pennsylvania Ahead
Detour Now
Other than I-99 and Breezewood, what do you have against Pennsylvania?  :eyebrow:

It's a roadgeek custom to hate Pennsylvania and everything about it  :-/
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.