News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Who here doesn't have Asperger's?

Started by bugo, August 29, 2012, 11:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

It seems the majority of road enthusiasts have Asperger's Syndrome.  Who doesn't have it?  I do not.

agentsteel53

I have a fairly mild form of it, which results mainly in the lack of tolerance for small talk.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

elsmere241

I may have it, I don't really know.

formulanone

Never been diagnosed with it.

I have self-diagnosed myself with symptoms of procrastination, because...well, can we talk about this later?

texaskdog

My fiancee realizes there is something wrong with me when I see a strange road sign and jump out of the car to take a picture of it

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

english si

While higher than average on the autism spectrum, I'm nowhere near high enough to get either.

Looking at a self-diagnosis thing, being task-centric and introverted are both things that mean you score higher on the spectrum than a people-centred extrovert.

mgk920

I've never been formally tested, but I'd likely score as a 'classic' case of it.

Mike

1995hoo

I had to look up what Asperger's is, as the only time I remember hearing that term previously was, I believe, on an episode of South Park where they called it Ass Burgers.

The symptoms don't sound like anything that affect me, although I can be very idiosyncratic about certain things.

Quote from: formulanone on August 29, 2012, 01:30:43 PM
Never been diagnosed with it.

I have self-diagnosed myself with symptoms of procrastination, because...well, can we talk about this later?

This comment reminds me of an autosignature used by a guy on the unofficial Washington Capitals fan forum. It says, "I may have Alzheimer's, but hey, at least I don't have Alzheimer's."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: mgk920 on August 29, 2012, 03:48:51 PM
I've never been formally tested, but I'd likely score as a 'classic' case of it.

Mike
Same. My dad tested borderline for it, and I show more signs of it than he does. But I don't really care one way or the other.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

There was a raucous thread on m.t.r about Asperger's several years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

I don't think they were yet diagnosing Aspberger's at the time of my diagnosis, but I know I've been told I exhibit more of its tenets than straight-on autism.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on August 29, 2012, 04:14:28 PM
There was a raucous thread on m.t.r about Asperger's several years ago.

The high number of AS sufferers there, most likely accounts for the cesspool-like group culture behavior of that forum, given that AS causes poor social skills.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

agentsteel53

Quote from: Beltway on August 29, 2012, 05:12:21 PM
The high number of AS sufferers there, most likely accounts for the cesspool-like group culture behavior of that forum, given that AS causes poor social skills.

nah, it's the lack of moderation.

everyone has poor social skills when they are anonymized and unmoderated.  most of the dumbasses on the internet aren't Aspergers, they're more "brogrammers" than anything else.  note how popular testosterone-addled stupidity and misogyny are, as opposed to "five thousand phone numbers I just memorized and insist on sharing with you".

jake@aaroads.com

Beltway

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2012, 05:25:24 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 29, 2012, 05:12:21 PM

nah, it's the lack of moderation.

everyone has poor social skills when they are anonymized and unmoderated.  most of the dumbasses on the internet aren't Aspergers, they're more "brogrammers" than anything else.  note how popular testosterone-addled stupidity and misogyny are, as opposed to "five thousand phone numbers I just memorized and insist on sharing with you".

Yeahbut you would think that members of a rather unique hobby would be more willing to moderate their own group behavior, in such a group.  Instead it was like junior high group behavior, and rather poor on the continuum for that.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

agentsteel53

Quote from: Beltway on August 29, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

Yeahbut you would think that members of a rather unique hobby would be more willing to moderate their own group behavior, in such a group.  Instead it was like junior high group behavior, and rather poor on the continuum for that.

people devolve to junior high.  just the way our species is.

I cannot offhand name a single discussion board (no matter how niche the community) that has all of the following features:

1) no moderation
2) people do not regularly interact in real life
3) civilized behavior

reason 2 is why places like Facebook generally stay in control.  you're not gonna post some dumb shit about someone if you two are gonna be at the same party next weekend.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

When I've read up on the symptoms it seems like I probably have some form of it, but I don't really know what I'd gain from being diagnosed and I don't feel like it's anything crippling, so I might have it but I don't really care to find out one way or another.

I feel like I'd use it as an excuse or a crutch if I found out I have it, so even if I do have it I really don't want a professional telling me I do.

Duke87

I was diagnosed with it in middle school. But I am pretty high functioning, all things considered.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Sanctimoniously

I've never been officially diagnosed with it (or anything, for that matter), but I wouldn't say I didn't have it.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

Alps

Quote from: corco on August 29, 2012, 06:00:25 PM
When I've read up on the symptoms it seems like I probably have some form of it, but I don't really know what I'd gain from being diagnosed and I don't feel like it's anything crippling, so I might have it but I don't really care to find out one way or another.

I feel like I'd use it as an excuse or a crutch if I found out I have it, so even if I do have it I really don't want a professional telling me I do.
From having met you, you're pretty low on the spectrum. I wouldn't call most of the people I've met in this hobby Aspies. Many of us are slightly more along the spectrum than average, but it's just that - a spectrum. In this age of overdiagnosis, I'd rather err on the side of underdiagnosis. Label yourself as slightly left of normal and see how you can deal with it, rather than hiding behind a disease.

Beltway

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 29, 2012, 05:54:18 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 29, 2012, 05:36:29 PM

people devolve to junior high.  just the way our species is.

I cannot offhand name a single discussion board (no matter how niche the community) that has all of the following features:

1) no moderation
2) people do not regularly interact in real life
3) civilized behavior

MTR was for the first 10+ years of its existence.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Scott5114

Quote from: texaskdog on August 29, 2012, 01:31:30 PM
My fiancee realizes there is something wrong with me when I see a strange road sign and jump out of the car to take a picture of it

Please tell me you stop the car first
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

huskeroadgeek

A few of the symptoms match me somewhat, but not nearly enough to think I have it. I've seen shows on TV and read about people who have Asperger's, and none of the people I have seen or read about seem like me much at all.

national highway 1

I was diagnosed in sixth grade with a mild form of it. Occasionally it can be difficult at times with others, but things are getting better as time goes on.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Scott5114

I don't think I have it. In the past I have been mildly awkward in social situations but it's gotten better with practice, so I'm inclined to chalk it up to mere inexperience.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.