News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The anal road enthusiast

Started by bugo, October 05, 2012, 10:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: Takumi on October 28, 2013, 01:57:56 PM
The anal road enthusiast probably wouldn't be fun at parties ;-)

I picture the anal road enthusiast as being someone like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory

At the very least, Sheldon's got to be an honorary member, (despite lacking a drivers license), given how he hacked a GPS unit to provide fun highway trivia during roadtrips.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2013, 01:43:52 PM
Notice the name of the street running south at the center of this Google Maps view.

I passed through there Saturday and noticed the street name and immediately made a mental note never to drive on that street because of its name. I suppose that may be a sign of an anal road enthusiast.
At least it's not "Viatology Lane".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mgk920

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 28, 2013, 01:43:52 PM
Notice the name of the street running south at the center of this Google Maps view.

I passed through there Saturday and noticed the street name and immediately made a mental note never to drive on that street because of its name. I suppose that may be a sign of an anal road enthusiast.

You're not alone with this one

http://goo.gl/maps/bEMGU

It even appears on some BGSes, but, alas (or 'thankfully'), the ones that are shown in the current Streetview images are blanked out due to the then underway US(I)-41 upgrade construction.

However, a somewhat fuzzy view of one of the interchange's BGSes is on a 45 degree aerial view:

http://goo.gl/maps/OKzTN

:-P

Mike

Molandfreak

You're an anal road enthusiast if you insist that 3di specifically means 3-digit interstate, and ignore all uses of the term (generically meaning three digits) by non-road enthusiasts.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 28, 2014, 12:31:31 AM
You're an anal road enthusiast if you insist that 3di specifically means 3-digit interstate, and ignore all uses of the term (generically meaning three digits) by non-road enthusiasts.
Since when do non-roadgeeks use the abbreviation 3di? Kettle's an awesome person.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Never heard the term "3di" used by anyone other than a roadgeek.

There is a difference between "3di" and "3dus."

At least I've never seen a certain viatologist use the term "3dfr."  :ded:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2014, 11:26:09 AM

Never heard the term "3di" used by anyone other than a roadgeek.

Me either. The closest I ever heard was the terminology used for rolling dice when you played D&D. The particular die was referred to by "d" followed by a number denoting how many sides it had (so, for example, the eight-sided die was the "d8") and the number of times you rolled it was indicated by a number before the "d" (so, for example, "3d8" told you to roll the eight-sided die three times). But since a die cannot have a number of sides using an imaginary number, "di" would not have been used.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2014, 01:00:22 AM
Since when do non-roadgeeks use the abbreviation 3di?

All the time.  Some examples:

This winter sucks.  Shame summer is still 3di's away.

I ain't telling you how much I weigh, but I'll give you a hint: It's in the 3di range.

Awesome party!  There must've been 3di people there.

See?  Totally common in everyday speech.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on February 28, 2014, 03:55:54 PM

I'm Pot. :420:

is "awesome person" what we're censoring it to now?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Nah, that's what it was censored to about a year ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.