News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Musings on cross-country routes & their control cities

Started by Interstatefan78, October 02, 2012, 11:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstatefan78

MOD NOTE: This thread was originally part of the "Interesting new California style of freeway junction exit number signing" thread on the Pacific Southwest board. --roadfro

Quote from: myosh_tino on March 29, 2012, 01:43:42 AM
If California were to follow the 2009 MUTCD to the letter, then the I-80/CA-12 sign I drew earlier might look something like this...

That's right.  I-80 eastbound is going to be 7 lanes wide... 5 through lanes, one option lane and one exit only lane. :wow:
I think Adding Ridgefield Park,NJ below the Fairfield,CA spot on I-80 East going sacramento shows that I-80 serves NYC-SF area long distance traffic. :thumbsup:

SignBridge

Ha, ha, ha...........Okay then, let's just make the eastbound control city "New York City" starting east from San Francisco and show "San Francisco" westbound starting at Ridgefield Park. After all that's where the route ends at either end? Keep it simple, right? LOL

agentsteel53

it should be signed "other Desert Cities" starting in New York.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SignBridge

According to the MUTCD (Sec. 2E.44.02) only "control city" names should be used as destinations on Interstate highways. So your suggestion is technically not approved. However I think some exceptions like you describe could reasonably be used.

Going east out of NYC for years the signs said "Eastern Long Island" but now New York DOT has abandoned that as part of "sign requirements" programs. So now destinations like "Hauppauge" and "Islip" are shown. I thought the generic "Eastern L.I." worked fine. Oh well..........

Henry

Quote from: SignBridge on October 03, 2012, 04:38:56 PM
Ha, ha, ha...........Okay then, let's just make the eastbound control city "New York City" starting east from San Francisco and show "San Francisco" westbound starting at Ridgefield Park. After all that's where the route ends at either end? Keep it simple, right? LOL
If that's what you want, then perhaps Boston and Seattle should sign each other as control cities on I-90!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SignBridge

kphoger

Going west from NYC, it should just be signed "The West".

ducks for cover
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

6a

NE2

"Route 128" works as a control blob covering the corridor around Boston from Braintree to Gloucester.

So how'd this thread get necroed anyway?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

^ Mr. Navy Text did it:

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on October 02, 2012, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: myosh_tino on March 29, 2012, 01:43:42 AM
If California were to follow the 2009 MUTCD to the letter, then the I-80/CA-12 sign I drew earlier might look something like this...
(I-80 BGS)
That's right.  I-80 eastbound is going to be 7 lanes wide... 5 through lanes, one option lane and one exit only lane. :wow:
I think Adding Ridgefield Park,NJ below the Fairfield,CA spot on I-80 East going sacramento shows that I-80 serves NYC-SF area long distance traffic. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Interstatefan78

That should be right, but here in New Jersey I-80 West is signed as Delaware Water Gap and Stroudsberg,PA but if I were to design the I-80 West control Cities in New Jersey I would Signed it as I-80 West Delaware Water Gap San Francisco,CA or Even Reno,NV to show NJ motorists that I-80 West goes all the way to California

kphoger

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on October 05, 2012, 04:29:30 PM
That should be right, but here in New Jersey I-80 West is signed as Delaware Water Gap and Stroudsberg,PA but if I were to design the I-80 West control Cities in New Jersey I would Signed it as I-80 West Delaware Water Gap San Francisco,CA or Even Reno,NV to show NJ motorists that I-80 West goes all the way to California

Only if US-40 gets signed for Denver and/or Salt Lake City.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on October 05, 2012, 04:42:26 PM

At least here in Maryland, we do inform I-70 motorists of the distance (from just west of the I-695 "stack" interchange in Baltimore County) to Denver, Colorado (~1700 miles) and Cove Fort, Utah (~2200 miles).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

That would be such a useful change. Why they haven't done it yet is a mystery.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

swbrotha100

What, no love for Teaneck, NJ? Last I checked, it's still the technical east end of I-80.

swbrotha100

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 05, 2012, 05:28:45 PM

At least here in Maryland, we do inform I-70 motorists of the distance (from just west of the I-695 "stack" interchange in Baltimore County) to Denver, Colorado (~1700 miles) and Cove Fort, Utah (~2200 miles).

It would be cool to see that kind of mileage sign near the endpoints of other interstates.

Interstatefan78

Quote from: swbrotha100 on October 05, 2012, 07:50:51 PM

It would be cool to see that kind of mileage sign near the endpoints of other interstates.
You also forgot that US-40 East from its terminus in Utah as New Castle,DE and Baltimore,MD and US-40 East does go through these on the way to Atlantic City,NJ US-40's eastern terminus   :-D

cpzilliacus

Quote from: swbrotha100 on October 05, 2012, 07:50:51 PM

There's a distance to Sacramento, Calif. sign on westbound U.S. 50 as the highway crosses the Isle of Wight Bay.

But Maryland does not post a sign on southbound U.S. 29 near I-70 showing the distance to Pensacola, Fla.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Interstatefan78

Quote from: swbrotha100 on October 05, 2012, 07:49:22 PM

What, no love for Teaneck, NJ? Last I checked, it's still the technical east end of I-80.
It's the NJ Tunpike authority signs  and the ticket on the NJ Turpike (I-95) that says Ridgefield Park is the Official teminus of I-80, but if NJDOT has jurisdiction on the final 18 miles of the NJ Tunpike then they will say I-80 East will end at Teaneck,NJ

Alps

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on October 07, 2012, 12:01:16 AM

It's the NJ Tunpike authority signs  and the ticket on the NJ Turpike (I-95) that says Ridgefield Park is the Official teminus of I-80, but if NJDOT has jurisdiction on the final 18 miles of the NJ Tunpike then they will say I-80 East will end at Teaneck,NJ
WHAT??

national highway 1

Quote from: Steve on October 08, 2012, 06:49:15 PM

WHAT??
He's either just being confusingly annoying, or he just can't seem to spell 'Turnpike' right...  :meh:
but if NJDOT has jurisdiction on the final 18 miles of the NJ Tunpike then they will say I-80 East will end at Teaneck,NJ
That will depend on the law. :evilgrin:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 08, 2012, 07:39:17 PM
Quote from: Steve on October 08, 2012, 06:49:15 PM

WHAT??
He's either just being confusingly annoying, or he just can't seem to spell 'Turnpike' right...  :meh:
but if NJDOT has jurisdiction on the final 18 miles of the NJ Tunpike then they will say I-80 East will end at Teaneck,NJ
That will depend on the law. :evilgrin:
No - check out that last quote. 18 miles? It's more than just spelling that's scraping my measles.

SignBridge

What is Interstatefan78 talking about? NJDOT doesn't have jurisdiction over any of the NJ Turnpike. Not even the last few miles of I-95 from Route-46 to the G.W. Bridge.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on October 09, 2012, 03:40:36 PM
What is Interstatefan78 talking about? NJDOT doesn't have jurisdiction over any of the NJ Turnpike. Not even the last few miles of I-95 from Route-46 to the G.W. Bridge.
They have jurisdiction over: I-95 Mercer (not Turnpike), I-295 Del Mem Bridge (not Turnpike), I-80 (not Turnpike).

national highway 1

Quote from: Steve on October 09, 2012, 08:57:43 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on October 09, 2012, 03:40:36 PM
They have jurisdiction over: I-95 Mercer (not Turnpike), I-295 Del Mem Bridge (not Turnpike), I-80 (not Turnpike).
Isn't the NJTP owned and run by the NJ Turnpike Authority?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.