News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How old is this guide sign?

Started by NE2, October 17, 2012, 11:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on October 17, 2012, 11:25:57 PM
US 101 northbound in Ukiah:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.15717,-123.19768&spn=0.015174,0.033023&gl=us&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=39.157255,-123.1977&panoid=6_WENEnYs6fgsPxz6itNxQ&cbp=12,39.5,,2,6.86
It looks more cracked than the average California sign.
I don't think its that old.  There are numerous signs in Santa Clara County with cracked sheeting, mostly on the county's expressway system (Lawrence, San Tomas, Capitol, Central, etc).  These signs were installed no more than 10 years ago and have weathered badly.  The sign in your post seems to have suffered the same fate as the ones I see all of the time in the San Jose area.  Maybe it was a batch of bad sheeting.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

J N Winkler

I would estimate 30 years, not on the basis of the cracked sheeting but rather on the horizontal rows of rivets near the top and bottom borders.  In my experience, on newer signs the retroreflective sheeting is lapped over the rivets.  In fact, visible rivets are usually a sign of opaque coated background, but I don't think that is the case here since OCB doesn't craze in the same way.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 18, 2012, 10:48:14 AM
I would estimate 30 years, not on the basis of the cracked sheeting but rather on the horizontal rows of rivets near the top and bottom borders.  In my experience, on newer signs the retroreflective sheeting is lapped over the rivets.  In fact, visible rivets are usually a sign of opaque coated background, but I don't think that is the case here since OCB doesn't craze in the same way.

I wonder if a) the retroreflective sheeting cracked and fell off the rivets, or b) the reflected light makes it look like the rivets are on top.

OCB indeed does not craze like that.  there are signs from the 60s around here with the background just fine, and a retroreflective foreground almost completely gone.  (a ~1959-63 standard called for retroreflective border and button copy legend - so now there are signs with no border and button copy legend!)

I'd say late 80s to early 90s because retroreflective-background signage from before then is very hard to find in California.  as in, I cannot think of an example offhand since the 1965 experimental sign in Needles with a patch over US-66 was removed several years ago.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.