AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Missouri  (Read 10770 times)

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector, mad man with a camera

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:58 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
Re: Missouri
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2020, 03:30:05 PM »

The road is still there, trip-point is still there, but the signage has changed

It's no longer 20/43, just 20

That same sign was there yesterday. I have video evidence and just consulted it!

They must have missed one.

The "triplets" disappeared around 2017
Fear itself is largely an illusion.

mvak36

• Super Bowl Champs!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 04:29:54 PM
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2020, 05:14:29 PM »

https://www.kmbc.com/article/plans-to-replace-the-buck-oneil-bridge-hit-snag/32022939
KANSAS CITY, Mo. —

The plans to replace the Buck O'Neil Bridge are stalled for now.

Economic uncertainty is one of them, just because the city and the region are taking a serious hit.

"So before we are signing onto contracts and that sort of thing, we want to make sure the money is there," Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said.

It is estimated that it will cost $250 million to replace the bridge. It breaks down like this: $100 million from the state, which owns the bridge; $60 million from Kansas City; $40 million from the Missouri side of the region, through the Mid-America Regional Council; and $24 million from Washington, D.C.

The project is short $26 million. Two alternatives include, having the city and the state split the difference, or see if Washington, D.C., has more infrastructure money in a COVID-19 stimulus bill.

"That's the sort of thing where you would have the Buck O'Neil Bridge project ready for, and as, a shovel-ready project," Lucas said.

That is an idea and not a hard plan.

This is a complex project. There are railroad tracks on two sides of the bridge and then there is the Missouri River.

The plan is to have the new bridge connect to Interstate 35. Despite cutbacks, MoDOT has its bridge money in a special account. A lobbyist told the City Council Thursday that means, it is "about as solid as you could make it."

So right now, it's a question of details. But if the delay continues, it could become a serious question.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more projects being delayed since people aren't driving as much. This bridge and the I-70 Rocheport bridge are the next two major bridges slated for replacement.

I went to the project site for the Buck O'Neil Bridge and they have posted an updated Draft Procurement Schedule.

Updated Draft Procurement Schedule:

Project Advertisement:  May 19th, 2020
RFQ/Industry meeting:  June 19th, 2020
SOQ shortlist:  July 2020
RFP:  August 2020
Award:  February 2021

Hopefully they will be able to award this next February and it won't get delayed any further.

There's nothing on the project site, but I found an article about the Recommended Alternative, which is the Central Alternative.

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: Today at 06:59:45 PM
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

According to the newest contract listings, the historic Route 66 bridge over the Gasconade River is scheduled for demolition.
This project appears to have been removed from the bid lettings. Anything new from "Roamin Rich", US 71?

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector, mad man with a camera

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:58 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »

According to the newest contract listings, the historic Route 66 bridge over the Gasconade River is scheduled for demolition.
This project appears to have been removed from the bid lettings. Anything new from "Roamin Rich", US 71?

The project is on "hold". 66'ers have managed to persuade MoDOT  NOT to destroy the bridge and to turn it over to them to maintain. They are still working out the details, so there's no "victory lap" as of yet, but it looks promising.
Fear itself is largely an illusion.

mvak36

• Super Bowl Champs!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 04:29:54 PM
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2020, 12:59:01 PM »

Got this in my email today:

MoDOT Kansas City Completes I-435 South Loop Link Design/Build Project

JACKSON COUNTY – MoDOT Kansas City has completed the Interstate 435 South Loop Link design/build project. This project has completely rebuilt more than three miles of pavement through one of Kansas City’s top three regional commuter corridors, added an additional lane in both eastbound and westbound directions, replaced and rehabilitated five bridges. This is a heavily traveled route that winds from the northern part of the metro southbound, eventually curving west to the Kansas state line and exceeds daily traffic counts of 150,000 vehicles a day.

The Radmacher-Wilson team that was awarded the project understood that minimizing the impacts to the public during peak travel hours was a large project goal. The key to its success was all about shifting traffic. The team built new lanes along the outside of the existing footprint, then shifted traffic to and away from where they needed to work next, completing the bridge work in place simultaneously. The crew was able to maintain four lanes through most morning and afternoon peak travel hours since breaking ground in spring 2018.

MoDOT’s method of delivering large-scale projects through a design-build format is relatively new. Design-build includes hiring a consultant to complete design and construction under one contract. MoDOT provides project goals, budget and schedule. This technique is proven to significantly save time and money. Some other very successful design-build projects include the Christopher S. Bond Bridge over the Missouri River and the Safe and Sound Bridge Improvement Project which replaced more than 800 bridges under one contract. The next anticipated Design-Build contract is the U.S. 169 Buck O’Neil Bridge.

I'm glad this project's over. I use part of this stretch for my daily commute (before the quarantine). IMO, it was managed pretty well. I didn't have to deal with too many delays and the extra lanes are nice.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

STLmapboy

• Last Login: Today at 07:42:17 PM
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2020, 02:01:24 PM »

https://www.kbia.org/post/maryland-heights-residents-call-rename-road-bearing-slave-trader-s-name

Apparently some MD Heights residents in Greater St Louis want to rename Dorsett Rd because it's named after a slave trader (never knew that). It probably won't happen, but if it did could the Midland Blvd designation found in Overland (and currently ending at Lindbergh) be extended west?
Teenage STL area roadgeek/avgeek.
Every time a span wire is replaced with a mast arm an angel gets its wings

skluth

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 02:58:02 AM
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2020, 06:13:58 PM »

https://www.kbia.org/post/maryland-heights-residents-call-rename-road-bearing-slave-trader-s-name

Apparently some MD Heights residents in Greater St Louis want to rename Dorsett Rd because it's named after a slave trader (never knew that). It probably won't happen, but if it did could the Midland Blvd designation found in Overland (and currently ending at Lindbergh) be extended west?

Midland actually runs parallel north of Dorsett between Lindbergh and the Beltway. There’s also the issue of Old Dorsett in Maryland Heights.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 05:41:50 PM
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2020, 02:37:56 AM »

Midland actually runs parallel north of Dorsett between Lindbergh and the Beltway. There’s also the issue of Old Dorsett in Maryland Heights.

At the risk of being called to task for "making light" of a now-sore subject, the road name could remain the same, but the dedication changed to honor NFL's Tony Dorsett!

STLmapboy

« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2020, 05:47:45 PM »

Best to leave it as it is, I guess. We could otherwise end up with a cluster like Lackland and Fee Fee (discontinuous, disjointed)

skluth

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 02:58:02 AM
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2020, 06:08:42 PM »

At the risk of being called to task for "making light" of a now-sore subject, the road name could remain the same, but the dedication changed to honor NFL's Tony Dorsett!

TD has no connection to STL and they may not want to name a road after a living person considering the fate of the Mark McGwire Freeway. They could drop the second "T" and call it Dorset after the region in England. No real connection either but there's not much love for former Dallas Cowboys in the area.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 05:41:50 PM
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2020, 01:10:24 AM »

TD has no connection to STL and they may not want to name a road after a living person considering the fate of the Mark McGwire Freeway. They could drop the second "T" and call it Dorset after the region in England. No real connection either but there's not much love for former Dallas Cowboys in the area.

All well & good -- but I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic/ironic here.  In retrospect, I'll give myself a D+ for that effort!

STLmapboy

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2020, 02:31:23 PM »

Video of St Louis downtown in 1973, just as the decay was starting to build:
The streets are busier, and most traffic lights are mounted on yellow poles on the side of the road with visors of varying lengths. A few trombone mounts are seen. The lights are still black-fronted, but with yellow backs.

St Louis 1963: Not as many lights but still some side mounts, and a very early overhead mount at the Bevo Windmill at 3:18.

I think I heard Revive 755 say somewhere that STL signals used to have blue backplates. Does anyone have examples of those?

Revive 755

• Last Login: July 07, 2020, 10:37:42 PM
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2020, 06:29:31 PM »

^ I thought it was the back of the signals?  Not that I can find any in Streetview, but there are more green mast arms than I recall.

I'm also finding a lot more of the non-MUTCD compliant 'left only on left arrow' signs with four or five section heads.  Example.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:32:05 PM by Revive 755 »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.