News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unusual Places for Exit Numbers

Started by roadman65, January 19, 2013, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I think that this one qualifies as unusual even though it is justified to have them.  Exiting the Holland Tunnel in NYC has numbered exits around the circle.  I know this is part of I-78 and its not an interstate grade freeway here, but as a tool for drivers it is helpful though unusual due to its location.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Look at the gore point–I'd say that's an unusual place for an exit number... :spin:

(photo courtesy route56)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 28, 2013, 03:24:04 AM

Look at the gore point–I'd say that's an unusual place for an exit number... :spin:

(photo courtesy route56)

that's standard for Arizona and other states.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 28, 2013, 03:24:04 AM

(photo courtesy route56)
What is so unusual about that?  I think its a great place as it points out very well the place of diversion.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I think the point is that the numerals on the gore sign are at the lower right instead of the lower left.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

The point is that instead of being an actual sign designed for an exit number, they just took a non-numbered exit sign and wedged an "11" in between the arrow and the edge of the sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PHLBOS

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 28, 2013, 03:21:36 PMThe point is that instead of being an actual sign designed for an exit number, they just took a non-numbered exit sign and wedged an "11" in between the arrow and the edge of the sign.
I've seen that done in other locations.  That's more of sign fabrication afterthought and/or error rather than an unusual location for an exit numbered interchange/intersection.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

The thread title does say "Unusual places for exit numbers", not "unusual places to have an exit numbered interchange/intersection", so technically you can joke around by posting examples of the physical location of the number on the sign and still be on topic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I was noticing that near Wichita, KS on K-254 approaching I-135 and I-235 it has exit tabs for I-235's Exits 16 A & B, even though it does not begin I-235 until through the interchange itself.  K-254 does not have exit numbers  for itself so this is unusual that its ramps to I-135 (and US 81 & K15) have them.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.