News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

George Bush airport to IH 10 eastbound

Started by Richard Box, January 20, 2013, 02:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Box

Would anyone like to give me a blow by blow account of how to get from Houston airport to the IH-10 (Beaumont).

Having not used American toll roads before I'd like to have some information before I get behind the wheel.

How are tolls paid? Are the booths manned or automated? Are they paid on entry to the road or exit? Do they make change?  Are there any lanes to avoid such as season ticket holders or exemptions (I've ended up paying the price of using the full system instead of the one or two intended stretches in Portugal before simply by choosing the wrong lane in the dead of night).

I guess once on Sam Houston toll (Beltway 8?) I just keep heading clockwise (sth and sth-east) until I come to the appropriate exit? But, like any other motorway in the western world, there have to be pitfalls, right?

Thanks in advance.

NE2

https://www.hctra.org/sh-northeast/index.html
If your rental doesn't include a tag, use the frontage roads instead. Take the Beltway 8 east ramp on the left leaving the airport, but follow the 'last free exit' signs after US 59. After crossing US 90, take the left-side ramp back onto the Beltway 8 main lanes, which are again free to (and beyond) I-10.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wxfree

Going clockwise from the airport, the Sam Houston Tollway is tag-only, meaning there's no cash payment and it's a violation to drive on the road without a tag.  Even if your rental has a tag, some rental companies charge exorbitant fees for paying tolls, so your best bet is to follow NE2's advice and avoid tolls.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

FreewayDan

Quote from: NE2 on January 20, 2013, 02:48:09 AM
https://www.hctra.org/sh-northeast/index.html
If your rental doesn't include a tag, use the frontage roads instead. Take the Beltway 8 east ramp on the left leaving the airport, but follow the 'last free exit' signs after US 59. After crossing US 90, take the left-side ramp back onto the Beltway 8 main lanes, which are again free to (and beyond) I-10.

There's also I-610 to use as an alternate.  You won't have any traffic signals to encounter if you use 610. 
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

wxfree

I didn't really answer your question, so I'll try again.

On that portion of road, Sam Houston from the airport east and south to I-10, tolling is all electronic, and a tag is required.  You just drive along the road and the system reads your car's tag.  There's no slowing down to pay and no toll booths.  You pay a toll for each toll point.  If you click the map at NE2's link, it shows that driving that distance you cross one mainline toll point, and it costs $1.30 for a car.  The other toll points shown are exit and entrance ramps, but along your route you'd drive the whole distance and just go through the main toll point.

If your car doesn't have a tag, don't go that way; it's a violation.  Before driving on toll roads, you should make sure you get a car with a tag and know your rental company's policies.  If they don't charge too much and you find it worthwhile, your tag will take care of tolls on any road in Texas.  You just drive where you want to go and it's all taken care of electronically.  In general, you'll pay at most the toll for about 10 miles at a single toll point.  There's no place where you'll be charged for long distances at a single point.  The exception is the Camino Columbia Toll Road, which is about 22 miles long and has a single toll point.  Other than that, I don't think there's any single toll point in Texas that costs more than $2 for cars.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

TXtoNJ

JFK Boulevard to Beltway 8 East, then to I-69/US 59 South toward Downtown. Then, after a few miles, take I-610 East, and then I-10 East toward Beaumont.

achilles765

Quote from: Richard Box on January 20, 2013, 02:25:59 AM
Would anyone like to give me a blow by blow account of how to get from Houston airport to the IH-10 (Beaumont).

Having not used American toll roads before I'd like to have some information before I get behind the wheel.

How are tolls paid? Are the booths manned or automated? Are they paid on entry to the road or exit? Do they make change?  Are there any lanes to avoid such as season ticket holders or exemptions (I've ended up paying the price of using the full system instead of the one or two intended stretches in Portugal before simply by choosing the wrong lane in the dead of night).

I guess once on Sam Houston toll (Beltway 8?) I just keep heading clockwise (sth and sth-east) until I come to the appropriate exit? But, like any other motorway in the western world, there have to be pitfalls, right?

Thanks in advance.

All the responses so far are good...the stretch from IH 45 to US 59/IH 69 is free, so you can hop onto either of those and either go all the way to IH 10(the most direct yet not always most convenient way), hop onto IH 610, or...here's a though...the frontage roads alongside the Sam Houston Tollway are free...if you don't mind a few lights in a fairly lightly trafficed area.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Richard Box

Thanks to you all so far.

Looks like there are plenty of options.

Would time of day make much difference? Plane lands at half past 2 in the afternoon, passport control, baggage and car pick-up are going to put us close to rush hour I reckon.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Richard Box on January 28, 2013, 01:19:02 PM
Thanks to you all so far.

Looks like there are plenty of options.

Would time of day make much difference? Plane lands at half past 2 in the afternoon, passport control, baggage and car pick-up are going to put us close to rush hour I reckon.

Rush hour in Houston is awful no matter what route you take, but less so on the east side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.