News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

U.S. 64 gap in North Carolina - east of I-95

Started by hurricanehink, February 04, 2013, 09:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurricanehink

Back in the early 2000s, it seemed like North Carolina was eager to make U.S. 64 a four-lane highway east of I-440. From what I can tell on Google Maps, they made it to Wiliamston (meeting with US 17), and then there was another segment 24 miles to the east that is a four-lane highway to Columbia. I know NC has so many other highways they're working on building, but I was wondering if this gap is intended to be closed, or if that's the end of 64 construction? Anyway insight would be helpful, as I'm curious.

Strider

I am not sure if NC is going to continue making U.S. 64 a freeway between both gaps, but from what I heard, NC is trying to build/upgrade the road to freeway standards along U.S. 17 from the end of US 64/17 freeway towards Norfolk, VA. (so they can slap in a future interstate shield.. last time it was either a proposed I-44 or I-46).

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong...I am sure somebody knows something we don't.

dfilpus

US 64 from Williamston to Plymouth is a divided four-lane highway, just not a freeway, which predates either of the freeway segments. The Plymouth to Columbia freeway segment bypassed a two-lane segment. NC is looking at upgrading from Columbia to Manns Harbor, which will complete the four-laning of US 64 to the coast, just not all freeway grade.

hurricanehink

Thanks both for the quick response. Is that upgrade along 17 really legit? It makes sense, but I didn't know NC had priorities outside of the Research Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte :P

broadhurst04

I'd say the main reason that the upgrade is incomplete is, there's the small matter of constructing a new four lane bridge over the Alligator River. That's about three miles.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on February 05, 2013, 03:45:46 AM
(map)
So I-74 is going to double back on itself. Smarrrrrrt. How about taking it along the I-20 path to Wilmington and calling the Myrtle Beach spur I-174?

Molandfreak

Quote from: Strider on February 04, 2013, 09:51:38 PM
(so they can slap in a future interstate shield.. last time it was either a proposed I-44 or I-46).
Any chance they're cooking up an elaborate plan for 44 to be extended from St. Louis? :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

jcarte29

Quote from: Steve on February 05, 2013, 06:42:28 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 05, 2013, 03:45:46 AM
(map)
So I-74 is going to double back on itself. Smarrrrrrt. How about taking it along the I-20 path to Wilmington and calling the Myrtle Beach spur I-174?

My thoughts exactly, minus I-20, cause SC isn't interested in crossing the state line with it. I-d call it I-474 since it would connect to I-73 (Carolina Bays Parkway) and end
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Strider

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 05, 2013, 06:54:18 PM
(so they can slap in a future interstate shield.. last time it was either a proposed I-44 or I-46).
Any chance they're cooking up an elaborate plan for 44 to be extended from St. Louis? :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:

If the plan is in works, I doubt it will be connected to the 44 in St. Louis. I don't see how it could connect there either... :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:

CanesFan27

I am not sure if NC is going to continue making U.S. 64 a freeway between both gaps, but from what I heard, NC is trying to build/upgrade the road to freeway standards along U.S. 17 from the end of US 64/17 freeway towards Norfolk, VA. (so they can slap in a future interstate shield.. last time it was either a proposed I-44 or I-46).

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong...I am sure somebody knows something we don't.

There's no formal proposal or movement to make 64/17 an interstate from Raleigh to Roanoke.  It's all pure speculation.

BrianP

Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 08, 2013, 11:00:01 AMfrom Raleigh to Roanoke.
I-79?  Sure from Roanoke go NNW to meetup with current I-79 around Sutton WV.  And southward from Raleigh down US 1 then toward Fayetteville.  Then follow the NC 87 corridor towards Wilmington.  All roads lead to Wilmington!  Oops sorry this isn't the fictional highway board. 

CanesFan27

lol :-p I had just finished a project for something in Roanoke and it was on my brain!

hbelkins

Quote from: BrianP on February 08, 2013, 01:08:58 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on February 08, 2013, 11:00:01 AMfrom Raleigh to Roanoke.
I-79?  Sure from Roanoke go NNW to meetup with current I-79 around Sutton WV.  And southward from Raleigh down US 1 then toward Fayetteville.  Then follow the NC 87 corridor towards Wilmington.  All roads lead to Wilmington!  Oops sorry this isn't the fictional highway board.

Funny you should mention Roanoke and I-79. The southbound exit for US 19 at Roanoke, WV, doesn't have the US 19 route marker on the guide signs. The implication is that motorists are too dumb to realize that the exit is not the one for Corridor L to Summersville and Beckley. The US 19 markers are on the northbound signs, however.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteThere's no formal proposal or movement to make 64/17 an interstate redacted.  It's all pure speculation.

To elaborate, it's being promoted by business interests, but there's no formal proposal from either NCDOT or VDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.