News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway go MUTCD!

Started by Alps, February 06, 2013, 06:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 06, 2013, 12:24:13 PMreflective background button copy is absolutely terrible.  Connecticut seems to have the worst problem with it fading into complete oblivion.

Even when new.  It gets worse in CT because evidently they used the exact same kind of plastic for the buttons as that which was used for 1986-1993 Volvo 240 headlights.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

_Simon

I'm reading the NJHA's picture book on the Parkway and I can't believe those retarded square exit tabs and squished county route shields date back to the 60s/70s.

SignBridge

Are you talking about the tabs that just had the number without the word Exit? Yeah I remember those on the advance signs, along with the arrow inside the circle at the upper-right hand corner of the gore signs

_Simon

Quote from: SignBridge on August 08, 2013, 08:51:46 PM
Are you talking about the tabs that just had the number without the word Exit? Yeah I remember those on the advance signs, along with the arrow inside the circle at the upper-right hand corner of the gore signs

Yep.

mrsman

I'm willing to wait and see how this gets implemented, but generally I'm hopeful that standard MUTCD will be easier for the motoring public.

I'd like to see:

Mileage signs with three cities on a regular basis.  The last one should be New York City (GWB) northbound, and Del Mem Bridge southbound.

Pull through signage with control cities.  I gripe about the control cities used.  Every northbound BGS should have New York City and one other local city (Camden, Trenton, Newark).  Southbound, it should be Philadelphia on every sign above exit 6 and Del Mem Bridge below exit 6.  Trenton and Newark can also be used as secondary cities where appropriate.   I don't like Wilmington as a control city, since Del Mem Bridge crosses south of Wilmington.

Highway numbers.  I-95 shileds clearly displayed on BGS.  A new 2 digit state highway number should be assigned to the portion south of exit 6.

Occasional next three exit signs, particularly in northern NJ.

Unique NJTP non-MUTCD items that I wish they keep in some fashion:

"Next Exit xx miles"

Reduced Speed warnings.  I'll miss the red neon.

I'm still ambivalent about mileage based exit numbers.  While I generally favor those, on NJTP the exits have become so ingrained in the culture that it would be a hard switch.  However, I've been on the East Coast long enough to see Pennsylvania make the switch.  They did a good job of retaining "old exit number signs" for two years and so the old numbers are now a faded memory.

motorway

Wait, is the Turnpike switching to mileage-based exit numbering along with the other deplorable changes? What a travesty it would be to paper over such a touchstone of New Jersey life and identity!

Alps

Quote from: motorway on August 09, 2013, 03:54:54 PM
Wait, is the Turnpike switching to mileage-based exit numbering along with the other deplorable changes? What a travesty it would be to paper over such a touchstone of New Jersey life and identity!
They are not switching at this time. They obviously will go along if the FHWA issues an ultimatum. Otherwise, there's no reason to switch. (Notice that NY still hasn't switched, and they've said they would.)

_Simon

Quote from: mrsman on August 09, 2013, 02:48:41 PM
I'm willing to wait and see how this gets implemented, but generally I'm hopeful that standard MUTCD will be easier for the motoring public.

I'd like to see:

Mileage signs with three cities on a regular basis.  The last one should be New York City (GWB) northbound, and Del Mem Bridge southbound.

Pull through signage with control cities.  I gripe about the control cities used.  Every northbound BGS should have New York City and one other local city (Camden, Trenton, Newark).  Southbound, it should be Philadelphia on every sign above exit 6 and Del Mem Bridge below exit 6.  Trenton and Newark can also be used as secondary cities where appropriate.   I don't like Wilmington as a control city, since Del Mem Bridge crosses south of Wilmington.

Highway numbers.  I-95 shileds clearly displayed on BGS.  A new 2 digit state highway number should be assigned to the portion south of exit 6.

"Next Exit xx miles"

I fully agree, though I don't see why it would hurt to jut sign NJ-700. 

Ned Weasel

Quote from: _Simon on August 09, 2013, 09:42:27 PM
Quote from: mrsman on August 09, 2013, 02:48:41 PM

I'd like to see:

"Next Exit xx miles"

I fully agree, though I don't see why it would hurt to jut sign NJ-700. 

Honestly, there's no need for a route number south of Exit 6.  Everybody knows it as the New Jersey Turnpike, and that's all that's needed to identify it.  Let NJ 700 remain a hidden designation.  ;-)

Unless, of course, you want to do the "Express I-95" thing somebody proposed way back in the day (and I actually like that idea).
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Zeffy

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but...

http://goo.gl/maps/mN1BJ

When did THAT happen?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

Quote from: Zeffy on August 10, 2013, 03:39:56 PM

When did THAT happen?
I do not know when this happened, but I do see that they left blank spaces in the signs for future I-95 shields in it.  I actually like the  "New York City" as pull through destination. 

What interests me is why NJDOT started to use New York City instead of just plain ole New York like they have been for centuries.  I know CT always used NY City, and parts of NYS used New York City to avoid confusion for drivers there, but are there actually many people in NJ that get confused now?

Also, yes it is a sad shame to see the THRU TRAFFIC NEXT EXIT X MILES go, but at the same time pull through signs with control points are better.  Also, give Delaware a chance, let them feel important with having Wilmington as they often get ignored by MD especially on I-95 from Baltimore with "New York" on their guides.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

When did THAT happen?

The 'South 95' and 'To' is greened out.  Prior to the signs getting installed over the highway, they were sitting face up on the closed portion of the roadway and the full 'South 95 To West I-276' was clearly visible.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 11, 2013, 09:44:33 PM

When did THAT happen?

The 'South 95' and 'To' is greened out.  Prior to the signs getting installed over the highway, they were sitting face up on the closed portion of the roadway and the full 'South 95 To West I-276' was clearly visible.

Quote from: NE2 on August 11, 2013, 10:02:48 PM
The problem is the arrow...

You mean to tell me that arrow is permanent!?  It's as if someone tried to replicate the NJTP-style arrow using MUTCD-style arrow parts.  Argh!

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mrsman on August 09, 2013, 02:48:41 PMHowever, I've been on the East Coast long enough to see Pennsylvania make the switch.  They did a good job of retaining "old exit number signs" for two years and so the old numbers are now a faded memory.
Actually, many of the OLD EXIT XX are still standing today and will likley remain until the BGS' get replaced.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

J N Winkler

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 11, 2013, 10:24:46 PMYou mean to tell me that arrow is permanent!?  It's as if someone tried to replicate the NJTP-style arrow using MUTCD-style arrow parts.  Argh!

As discussed in a parallel thread, this sign appears to use the W1-4 (reverse curve warning sign) arrow as a substitute for the NJTA Type D arrow.  This seems to be a deliberate decision on the designer's part, since he has produced other plan sheets which use the Type B arrow (similar to Type D except it points off to the side) correctly, but I don't know if he expected the contractor to fabricate the sign using a true Type D arrow or if the W1-4 arrow was chosen to meet conditions specific to this site.  It is labeled in the plans as a Type D arrow even though it is not.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Steve D

Another problem is no mention of 95 North if you continue on the Turnpike....

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Steve D on August 12, 2013, 08:47:00 PM

Another problem is no mention of 95 North if you continue on the Turnpike....

I'm pretty sure the reason "NJTP NORTH" is off-center is that the I-95 shield is going to be added later.  Currently, the de facto I-95 enters the Turnpike at Exit 7A.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 12, 2013, 09:12:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the reason "NJTP NORTH" is off-center is that the I-95 shield is going to be added later.  Currently, the de-facto I-95 enters the Turnpike at Exit 7A.

The new pull through signs at Exit 8A northbound are the same. No I-95 shield, but there is space for it. Don't know why they didn't bother signing in there since it wouldn't be confusing at all. The 8A on-ramp BGSes have I-95 shields though.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 12, 2013, 11:31:22 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on August 12, 2013, 09:12:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the reason "NJTP NORTH" is off-center is that the I-95 shield is going to be added later.  Currently, the de-facto I-95 enters the Turnpike at Exit 7A.

The new pull through signs at Exit 8A northbound are the same. No I-95 shield, but there is space for it. Don't know why they didn't bother signing in there since it wouldn't be confusing at all. The 8A on-ramp BGSes have I-95 shields though.
Further north at the Joyce Kilmer plaza, there is now a new BGS directing those back on the northbound Turnpike that includes both a I-95 and NJTP shield.

Quote from: stridentweasel on August 09, 2013, 11:07:42 PM
Quote from: _Simon on August 09, 2013, 09:42:27 PM

I don't see why it would hurt to just sign NJ-700. 

Honestly, there's no need for a route number south of Exit 6.  Everybody knows it as the New Jersey Turnpike, and that's all that's needed to identify it.  Let NJ 700 remain a hidden designation.  ;-)

Unless, of course, you want to do the "Express I-95" thing somebody proposed way back in the day (and I actually like that idea).
If that stretch of Turnpike was actually assigned a public route number; I would go with either 695, 895 or even 95E.  With the latter choice (Fictional Territory here), I-295 south of the Turnpike and through Delaware could conceivably be re-designated as I-95E; given that suffixed-interstates are now being allowed again.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 13, 2013, 09:21:00 AM
If that stretch of Turnpike was actually assigned a public route number; I would go with either 695, 895 or even 95E.  With the latter choice (Fictional Territory here), I-295 south of the Turnpike and through Delaware could conceivably be re-designated as I-95E; given that suffixed-interstates are now being allowed again.[/quote]

I like I-895 for the N.J. Turnpike mainline between 1 and 6.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

The arrow is temporary, reflecting construction conditions. Look more closely.

_Simon

Quote from: Steve on August 13, 2013, 09:15:30 PM
The arrow is temporary, reflecting construction conditions. Look more closely.

Temporary or not, it's definitely part of the sign message.  You can see the rivets through the arrow, looking nothing like the rest of the green out which is clearly a separate layer tacked down in the corners.

SignBridge

What's greened out on the bottom of the sign?

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.