AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Most absurd VMS messages  (Read 91972 times)

Pink Jazz

• Real Men Wear Pink

• Last Login: Today at 12:32:32 PM
Re: Most absurd VMS messages
« Reply #625 on: December 10, 2020, 09:05:08 PM »

We saw one on I-696 yesterday

ENDANGERED PERSON
[Car description]
[License plate]

Huh?  What are we supposed to do if we see that red car?  And what does "endangered" mean - they are in immediate peril and we should intervene?  Or someone just wants to know where they are?

Here in Arizona we call these Silver Alerts.  Other states that post Silver Alerts on DMS in addition to Arizona I think are California, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, and Wisconsin.  I'm guessing this is new to Michigan.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 08:50:56 AM
« Reply #626 on: December 11, 2020, 12:15:06 AM »

ENDANGERED PERSON
[Car description]
[License plate]

Huh?  What are we supposed to do if we see that red car?  And what does "endangered" mean - they are in immediate peril and we should intervene?  Or someone just wants to know where they are?

Here in Arizona we call these Silver Alerts.  Other states that post Silver Alerts on DMS in addition to Arizona I think are California, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, and Wisconsin.  I'm guessing this is new to Michigan.
Illinois does it, too

Driving from Chicagoland to Southern IL on Sat after Thanksgiving, the same Silver Alert message for a vehicle was on every VMS from IL 390s west termination to south of Mt Vernon on I-57 that I drove that night - both ISTHA and IDOT VMSs

GaryV

• Last Login: Today at 06:20:09 PM
« Reply #627 on: December 11, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »

Given that the last Amber alert I got was from Phoenix (and my wife in the next room didn't get it), I'm not surprised that MI isn't on top of everything.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 04:10:53 PM
« Reply #628 on: December 11, 2020, 09:31:06 AM »

ENDANGERED PERSON
[Car description]
[License plate]

When NJ started posting them, Grandpa (and yes, I'm using that generically) seemed to get lost...a LOT!  It was getting to the point where every day there was a Silver Alert posted...and NJDOT would post them statewide.  Some days, the alert would say "2 Silver Alerts".  While the law stated they should be mentioned on TV and radio as well, I don't recall any of them ever being broadcasted that way.  And then, for some reason, the VMS alerts dropped dramatically, as if they issued some sort of guideline that dramatically reduced the reasons or timelines of the alerts.

I know I have seen the same license plate posted 2 or 3 times, so apparently that particular family has an issue with Grandpa getting ahold of the keys!

Delaware uses them too, but because they always have to be different, they call them Gold Alerts.

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: Today at 07:41:32 PM
« Reply #629 on: December 11, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »

I've seen signs similar to the ones being discussed, but I don't recall the word "ENDANGERED" specifically ever being used in New York.
General information about alerts here: https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/missing/who-we-are.html
The VMS's usually say:

MISSING ADULT
[Car description]
[License plate]

STLmapboy

• Last Login: Today at 05:49:21 PM
« Reply #630 on: December 11, 2020, 10:35:55 AM »

I was driving through Iowa City, IA, in July around midnight and I saw this sign on US-218:

MISSING CHILD DAVENPORT IA
[CAR DESCRIPTION]]
[LICENSE PLATE]

And then on the second page

CALL 911
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 05:54:31 PM
« Reply #631 on: December 11, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »

This morning, I saw the below in Wichita:

TRAFFIC DEATHS
UP 5%

* flip *

WEAR SEAT BELTS

And all I could think was, Yeah, and drownings go up in the summer, too.  I mean, we're in a pandemic, and Thanksgiving was just a couple of weeks ago.  Is it any surprise that traffic deaths are up?  If anything, I'd have expected the increase to be more than 5%...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

MCRoads

• Damn, I missed celebrating my 500th post. Oh well!

• Last Login: Today at 05:01:36 PM
« Reply #632 on: December 11, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »

TRAFFIC DEATHS
UP 5%

* flip *

WEAR SEAT BELTS

And all I could think was, Yeah, and drownings go up in the summer, too.  I mean, we're in a pandemic, and Thanksgiving was just a couple of weeks ago.  Is it any surprise that traffic deaths are up?  If anything, I'd have expected the increase to be more than 5%...
I think I saw somewhere that because of COVID, MVC deaths are DOWN from last year, but I saw that in September, so that might not be true anymore.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
 4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*/80*/95/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

empirestate

• Last Login: February 24, 2021, 01:03:06 AM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #633 on: December 11, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »

I've seen signs similar to the ones being discussed, but I don't recall the word "ENDANGERED" specifically ever being used in New York.
General information about alerts here: https://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/missing/who-we-are.html
The VMS's usually say:

MISSING ADULT
[Car description]
[License plate]

"Vulnerable" is a term we use. NYCEM uses the hashtag #MissingVulnerableAdult in its notices, but also sometimes just #SilverAlert. (I don't know if there's a distinction between the two.)

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: Today at 07:41:32 PM
« Reply #634 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:41 PM »

[snipped]

Up from when, though?

You might expect traffic deaths around Thanksgiving to be higher compared to a month prior, but in this case, they should certainly still be lower than last Thanksgiving.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 05:54:31 PM
« Reply #635 on: December 11, 2020, 05:00:51 PM »

Up from when, though?

Well, that was the question my rational mind later asked.

But nobody was around to give me the answer.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

wanderer2575

• Last Login: Today at 07:22:22 PM
« Reply #636 on: December 14, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »

TRAFFIC DEATHS
UP 5%

* flip *

WEAR SEAT BELTS

I think I saw somewhere that because of COVID, MVC deaths are DOWN from last year, but I saw that in September, so that might not be true anymore.

As has been asked, up from when?  Michigan posted its usual monthly death count on VMSs last week and the statewide year-to-date count was up 59 compared to the year-to-date count at the same time in 2019.  (Coincidentally, that's about a 5% increase.)  With near-empty roads for three months back when the pandemic started, and reduced traffic volumes since, one would expect a significant reduction year-to-date over last year.  But maybe I'm not surprised at the increased traffic deaths given the increased number of weaving speed demons I see living out their Fast and the Furious-type fantasies on the Detroit freeways.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 08:15:45 PM by wanderer2575 »

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 07:34:41 PM
« Reply #637 on: December 15, 2020, 07:49:50 AM »

North of Nashville on I-65, yesterday:

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 08:35:21 PM
« Reply #638 on: February 13, 2021, 11:29:17 AM »

NO VALENTINE?
YOUR SEAT BELT
WILL HOLD YOU

wanderer2575

• Last Login: Today at 07:22:22 PM
« Reply #639 on: February 14, 2021, 09:59:12 AM »

NO VALENTINE?
YOUR SEAT BELT
WILL HOLD YOU

Could also be interpreted as  "Be as much of a f*** as you want, you'll be fine if you're wearing a seatbelt, never mind who else might be killed because of your idiocy."  Which goes to show these people need to think twice when coming up with these cutesy phrases.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 05:30:29 PM
« Reply #640 on: February 14, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »

NO VALENTINE?
YOUR SEAT BELT
WILL HOLD YOU

Could also be interpreted as  "Be as much of a f*** as you want, you'll be fine if you're wearing a seatbelt, never mind who else might be killed because of your idiocy."  Which goes to show these people need to think twice when coming up with these cutesy phrases.
I find that to be an extreme interpretation.  I don't think a whole lot of people would take it as a license to drive recklessly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

• Last Login: Today at 07:41:35 PM
« Reply #641 on: February 14, 2021, 11:22:51 AM »

NY has had recently:

WE ARE
NY TOUGH

Not sure if that's specific to upstate, or in use downstate as well.
I really wish I could respond
WELL DONE, GOVERNOR
CAN I GET MEDIUM?

EpicRoadways

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:41 PM
« Reply #642 on: February 14, 2021, 02:01:40 PM »

NO VALENTINE?
YOUR SEAT BELT
WILL HOLD YOU

I find that to be an extreme interpretation.  I don't think a whole lot of people would take it as a license to drive recklessly.
That reminds me of something I saw while driving through Tennessee a few years back that read something like "I-40 CHALLENGE/ STATE TROOPER EVERY 20 MILES". I remember joking with my parents at the time that we should wait to pass the first trooper we see, kick it up to 120 for the next 19 miles, slow back down at mile 20, and do it all over again  :sombrero:

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #643 on: February 14, 2021, 07:37:32 PM »

NY has had recently:

WE ARE
NY TOUGH

Not sure if that's specific to upstate, or in use downstate as well.
I really wish I could respond
WELL DONE, GOVERNOR
CAN I GET MEDIUM?

I know this is an older post, and mildly off topic, but I am so tired of the "#(blank)Strong" or "#(blank)Tough" type catchphrase garbage. I've seen it before 2020, but with the virus and political tensions, it's become commonplace now.

It is completely meaningless drivel made to think that the people in charge are actually making a positive difference. No, being apart of a specific state, college, business, or neighborhood does not make me "strong" or "tough" or "brave". My own qualities, independent of where I am and what I associate with, make those characteristics.

Putting it on a VMS is just the cherry on top.
:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
All posts are personal opinion and/or subject to factual error.
Please excuse my early posts; I was much less mature and knowledegable back in the day!

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:45 PM
« Reply #644 on: February 14, 2021, 07:46:22 PM »

I posted an intersection in the redesign this intersection thread (288B @ Wilkins in Angleton, TX for those interested) because it's honestly not great. And it appears TxDot attempted to solve it ... with a portable VMS. It said something like this:

HIGH CRASH VOLUME
INTERSECTION AHEAD
--------------------------
USE CAUTION

Earlier in the pandemic, I saw another VMS there that said something about social distancing and masks, but I don't really feel that counts in the cultural climate of today.
Houston-area teenage roadgeek.
Amateur guitarist and keyboardist.

Fix Baton Rouge's traffic!!!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.