News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jake on October 27, 2014, 06:43:27 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on October 27, 2014, 06:28:34 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2014, 06:27:22 PM
It's erroneous because it's in the wrong-sized blank.

I also noted that the "8" was tilted ever so slightly compared to the "6".

Aren't these just design errors?

Exactly.  There's a reason we have separate threads for "Worst Of" (pure unadulterated shite), "design errors" (self-explanatory, I hope?), and "the good, the bad, and the ugly" (not worst of, just kinda weird).  This thread is a little vague, but I always figured "erroneous" meant "errors in information", otherwise if it's open to all kinds of errors, the entire thread would be overlapped with the others.  Obviously there's going to be some overlap, but... like I said, isn't there a reason we have separate threads for different kinds of errors?

busman_49

OH 89 and OH 66 both got a status upgrade in the early 2000s; both of these have long since been fixed:

OH 89: https://www.flickr.com/photos/busman_49/15650465185/
OH 66: https://www.flickr.com/photos/busman_49/15626657996/

yakra

Now that ME 24 has been rerouted onto US 1 and ME 196, a NORTH 24 sign has been added next to the END 196 at the US 1 interchange. It should be a SOUTH 24.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

mrsman

Here's one that I just noticed today in Baltimore:

http://goo.gl/maps/VQIe3

This is on Monroe Street, just south of North Avenue.  This is the place where US 1 takes a left turn, but they inappropriately labeled US 1 as MD-1.

jakeroot

Erroenous pavement markings in Seattle (1st at Thomas):

Mapmikey

Quote from: mrsman on November 05, 2014, 10:02:02 PM

This is on Monroe Street, just south of North Avenue.  This is the place where US 1 takes a left turn, but they inappropriately labeled US 1 as MD-1.

Don't think I've seen this error MD 129 shield on this thread.  This is leaving US 40:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2948812,-76.6226409,3a,75y,349.56h,90.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSij9DGB9HtLFrsRBj6-uxA!2e0?hl=en

Mapmikey

Alex

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 07, 2014, 10:28:41 AM
Quote from: mrsman on November 05, 2014, 10:02:02 PM

Don't think I've seen this error MD 129 shield on this thread.  This is leaving US 40:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2948812,-76.6226409,3a,75y,349.56h,90.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sSij9DGB9HtLFrsRBj6-uxA!2e0?hl=en

Mapmikey

Had it posted on the main site since 2011 at least:

doorknob60

I discovered this weird monster browsing around on Street View. This is approaching OR-58 from Lowell, OR.

I mean, I guess they realized something was wrong with a US-58 shield and this was their solution. Points for effort I guess.

corco

Finally working on pictures from my trip to the Wichita Meet last July, I forgot about this particularly egregious error:

The Oklahoma 11 shields are on a permanent fixture 90 degrees offset from where they should be. This is on Oklahoma 11 west in Blackwell, Oklahoma at the US 177 junction. You can even see the 11 west reassurance shield in the background.

PHLBOS

I saw this one when I was in North Brookfield, MA this past weekend.

While one could argue the extent of the error; the reasoning for such is that this particular JCT 148 trailblazer is located along the stretch of S. Main Street where MA 67 & 148 multiplex w/each other.

Either a M3-3 (SOUTH) trailblazer sign should be placed between the JCT sign and 148 shield or both the M3-3 along with the M5-1 (advance left arrow) signs should be used instead of the JCT sign to make it more technically accurate. 

Note: since there's already an advance LGS stating NEXT LEFT for MA 148 South located not too far back along MA 67/148; this JCT 148 trailblazer assembly's really not needed at this location.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Similar to the US 68 example I posted recently, this one is on KY 977 at Waco (Madison County), Ky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Kacie Jane

Still not at all erroneous in my book.  Slightly ugly in a way I can't quite put my finger on (granted the extra whitespace doesn't help), but not as bad as the wonky US 68 one.

odditude

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 12, 2014, 03:23:54 PM
Still not at all erroneous in my book.  Slightly ugly in a way I can't quite put my finger on (granted the extra whitespace doesn't help), but not as bad as the wonky US 68 one.
it's vertically off-center, and is that series F? ugh.

regardless, once again this would fall under "design errors" instead of "erroneous." for the purposes of this thread, erroneous means the information conveyed is wrong.[/soapbox]

SignGeek101

Quote from: odditude on November 12, 2014, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 12, 2014, 03:23:54 PM
it's vertically off-center, and is that series F? ugh.

regardless, once again this would fall under "design errors" instead of "erroneous." for the purposes of this thread, erroneous means the information conveyed is wrong.[/soapbox]

I believe that's Series E. The shield doesn't look too bad IMO.

Eth

At first I thought maybe it was supposed to be US 52, but a quick consultation of Google Maps tells me that while US 52 does indeed parallel the Kentucky border for quite a long distance, it enters the state only very, very briefly, and not near Waco. That is indeed KY 52, which is exactly what it says.

hbelkins

You say "tomayto," I say "tomahto." To me, it's an error because it's in the wrong shield shape.

Quote from: Eth on November 12, 2014, 09:55:21 PM
At first I thought maybe it was supposed to be US 52, but a quick consultation of Google Maps tells me that while US 52 does indeed parallel the Kentucky border for quite a long distance, it enters the state only very, very briefly, and not near Waco. That is indeed KY 52, which is exactly what it says.

Yep. I took that picture about a month ago. I've passed that intersection many times but happened to notice the wide sign on that trip and turned around, and sure enough, saw the wide sign. I forgot about having the photo until I passed it again yesterday.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2014, 10:32:31 PM

You say "tomayto," I say "tomahto." To me, it's an error because it's in the wrong shield shape.

You say "tomahto", I say "there's a separate thread for this kind of error".

(Obviously, my issue isn't that there's no error, it's that (a) it's not a particularly remarkable one and isn't at all confusing to motorists, and (b) it belongs in that thread over there instead.)

Darkchylde

I'm not about to sift through 124 pages of thread to see if this is already here. Fair warning.

Should be Exit 15A, not 15.

jbnv

Quote from: Kacie Jane on November 13, 2014, 12:50:35 PM

This. It's not rocket science.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

hbelkins

(Obviously, my issue isn't that there's no error, it's that (a) it's not a particularly remarkable one and isn't at all confusing to motorists, and (b) it belongs in that thread over there instead.)

A US route marker for a state route would be posted here, and it's not confusing to motorists unless you have one of those situations where two different classifications of route intersect. This isn't a design error, this is a production error, like a misspelling:

Quote from: jbnv on November 13, 2014, 07:54:40 PM

This. It's not rocket science.

Whatever.

NE2

State road signs aren't supposed to have the Keys. Nobody would get confused, but it's an error since the sign doesn't meet standards.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on November 13, 2014, 08:49:57 PM

State road signs aren't supposed to have the Keys. Nobody would get confused, but it's an error since the sign doesn't meet standards.
It is an old standard. In the 1970s keys were included

NE2

Then it should have been replaced. Since it wasn't it's an error.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SidS1045

Quote from: NE2 on November 13, 2014, 11:14:03 PM
Then it should have been replaced. Since it wasn't it's an error.

There is no reason whatsoever to replace a sign, in good condition and imparting correct information, just because its graphic design is out of date.  If you want to replace it, be my guest, but be prepared to pay for it yourself and don't tell me the state has to spend my tax dollars to replace it.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.71853,-94.9213659,3a,75y,335.66h,85.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sMJd_NMqwnmCdy-sG2wdFmw!2e0  Here is one that shows that the exit to the right for NB US 59 & 69 NB is the LAST FREE EXIT before the I-44 Will Rogers Turnpike ahead, but it is not!  There is one more exit for the SB US 59 & 69 and straight through US 60 WB ahead.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.