News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Florida now requires Canadian drivers carry an international driving permit

Started by Dougtone, February 14, 2013, 06:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Quote from: realjd on February 17, 2013, 03:52:25 PM
Since 1949 when we signed the treaty and it was subsequently ratified by the US Congress as per Article II Section 2 of the US Constitution.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this isn't the same Geneva Convention that spells out the rules of war. This one deals with road traffic reciprocity.

If Florida does not promptly repeal this idiotic law on its own, then the U.S. Department of Justice needs to give them a little nudge in the form of a federal lawsuit to nullify this obviously unconstitutional state statute.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mtantillo

Wow.  I don't speak a word of French other then "boujour" and "merci", and somehow I was able to figure out what every single item on the sample license was. 

Someone would think that the Republicans would be up in arms over anything that drives away business from a certain segment of the population (and the Quebecois make up quite a good proportion of Florida visitors, just based on the number of Quebec license plates I see on I-95 through DC-area during the holidays). 

cpzilliacus

Quote from: mtantillo on March 07, 2013, 10:29:42 AM
Wow.  I don't speak a word of French other then "boujour" and "merci", and somehow I was able to figure out what every single item on the sample license was. 

Someone would think that the Republicans would be up in arms over anything that drives away business from a certain segment of the population (and the Quebecois make up quite a good proportion of Florida visitors, just based on the number of Quebec license plates I see on I-95 through DC-area during the holidays). 

Absolutely correct.  I have read about a lot of legislation coming out of Florida's legislature in recent years that I disagree with for reasons beyond the scope of this forum, but this (IMO) takes the cake.

Wonder if this might also be in violation of the NAFTA treaty?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 07, 2013, 12:10:41 PM

While I appreciate the nod to NAFTA–unfortunately, the counterargument is usually something like "Who cares about NAFTA?", and then that's that.  Treaties, apparently, are made to be broken.  And scorned.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2013, 12:18:59 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 07, 2013, 12:10:41 PM

While I appreciate the nod to NAFTA–unfortunately, the counterargument is usually something like "Who cares about NAFTA?", and then that's that.  Treaties, apparently, are made to be broken.  And scorned.

Last time I checked, no state legislature (not even Florida's) is allowed to modify or nullify a treaty that's been ratified by the U.S. Senate. 

I just hope that Attorney General Eric Holder will put Florida Gov. Rick Scott and its legislature on notice that if they do not promptly repeal those provisions, the Justice Department will ask the federal courts to take care of the problem.

kphoger

It would be really good if it's indeed found to violate NAFTA, then.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

Florida repeals law requiring international driving permit for foreigners

QuoteLegislators in Florida have approved a bill repealing a law from last year that requires foreigners visiting the state to have international driving permits.
The bill passed unanimously in the Florida House on Wednesday and now goes to the Senate, where it is expected to pass as well.

kphoger

And, of course, they'll refund the money to all those people who've already bought an international DL.  Or not.  What a crock.
Male pronouns, please.

realjd

xcellntbuy

You can almost bet Tallahassee is not going to give the money back.  The great majority of the folks obtaining these licenses were our Canadian friends who visit annually and already pay lots of taxes for owning homes and condos here.  It is sort of like the bank robbery currently being perpetrated on the many Russian depositors holding large cash balances in Cypriot banks, only on a smaller scale.

kphoger

Well, yeah, I doubt Florida would reimburse foreign citizens on purchases made in a foreign country.  But, still, the principle of it...
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.