News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Nevada legislature considering 85 mph speed limit

Started by gonealookin, February 26, 2013, 12:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I'm used to continuity myself.  NY's interstates tend to keep the same speed limits when crossing borders, with the exception of those that end at Canada and possibly those that enter NYC (with NYC having 50 and NJ 55).  I-95 also loses a truck limit upon entering CT, and I think I-84 was set to 55 at the eastern end by NYSDOT solely for continuity with CT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

doorknob60

Ugh, I hate Oregon, consistintely signing speed limits anywhere from 10 to 20 mph lower than everyone else :( It really pisses me off, driving in Oregon's surrounding states is a significantly better (and less stressful) experience, because you can drive what feels more natural, or not have to worry about being pulled over by driving the natural speed. My friend got pulled over (just a warning luckily) for driving 70 on US 20 east of Bend. In NV, that would be the speed limit, and in CA, WA, or ID, it would be only 5 over and no big deal.

djsinco

Bad flashback, driving a semi from Bend to Ontario, OR dozens of times at 55 mph. It seems like there was only one four-way stop in the entire route.
3 million miles and counting

agentsteel53

Quote from: djsinco on March 22, 2013, 03:23:33 AM
Bad flashback, driving a semi from Bend to Ontario, OR dozens of times at 55 mph. It seems like there was only one four-way stop in the entire route.

what's wrong with having only one four-way stop? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

nexus73

Quote from: doorknob60 on March 22, 2013, 02:46:48 AM
Ugh, I hate Oregon, consistintely signing speed limits anywhere from 10 to 20 mph lower than everyone else :( It really pisses me off, driving in Oregon's surrounding states is a significantly better (and less stressful) experience, because you can drive what feels more natural, or not have to worry about being pulled over by driving the natural speed. My friend got pulled over (just a warning luckily) for driving 70 on US 20 east of Bend. In NV, that would be the speed limit, and in CA, WA, or ID, it would be only 5 over and no big deal.

As a native Oregonian, I concur with your sentiment! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

djsinco

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 22, 2013, 09:30:27 AM
Quote from: djsinco on March 22, 2013, 03:23:33 AM

what's wrong with having only one four-way stop?
My point was that since the road only had very minimal traffic, the 55 Speed was quite insane.

roadfro

Another article on the subject, from the Las Vegas Review Journal (3/13/13):
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/nevada-legislators-voice-concerns-about-bill-boost-speed-limits

Tracking SB 191 in the legislature:
http://leg.state.nv.us/Session/77th2013/Reports/history.cfm?DocumentType=2&BillNo=191

As of this writing, it has passed in the Senate and has been forwarded to the Assembly. This is partway to becoming law.

Looking at the text of the bill, I appreciate that it is pretty much only changing the maximum speed limit and nothing else with existing law. It's also adding to the gradual step/limited fine provisions that impose a minimal penalty for speeding 5mph over at higher speed limits--that's a good thing as it's a little known perk to the existing law.

EDIT: Repaired link to article
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on April 04, 2013, 05:35:00 AM
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/nevada-legi/slators-voice-concerns-about-bill-boost-speed-limits

this one is "page not found" for me.  any luck from anyone else?

QuoteLooking at the text of the bill, I appreciate that it is pretty much only changing the maximum speed limit and nothing else with existing law. It's also adding to the gradual step/limited fine provisions that impose a minimal penalty for speeding 5mph over at higher speed limits--that's a good thing as it's a little known perk to the existing law.

seems reasonable to me.  it allows transportation engineers more leeway in setting speed limits - which should indeed be their responsibility, as opposed to that of elected officials, who are much less well-trained in the relevant issues.

jake@aaroads.com

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadfro

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 04, 2013, 12:53:30 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 04, 2013, 05:35:00 AM
http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/nevada-legislature/nevada-legislators-voice-concerns-about-bill-boost-speed-limits

this one is "page not found" for me.  any luck from anyone else?

Had a random forward slash in there. Fixed in original post and in quote here.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Older article from late February in the LA Times:
Nevada perhaps to match Texas, eyes 85 mph speed limit

No movement on the bill since last week. It is in the Assembly transportation committee.

Interstatefan78

Also used to speed limit continunity to myself with some examples in the Lehigh Valley Area like US-22 keeping it's 25-45 mph speed limit from the 13th street exit to the Phillipsburg High School, and I-78 East and West keeping it's 55-65 Mph Speed Limit from exit 75 in Easton to exit 3 in Still Valley. Perhaps NV should have an 85 mph speed limit in all rural highways and this might lead to CA,NV,UT, and OR using 85 mph speed zones in their Rural highways. Currently I-15 South from Las Vegas,NV to Ontario,Ca has 70 mph speed limit and of NV decides to go 85 on LV to Primm then CA will go 85 on Ontario to CA/NV stateline and also Escondido to Corona on I-15 https://www.aaroads.com/california/images015/i-015_nb_exit_043_01.jpg. Also this might require NV to use 70 mph day 65 night on Las Vegas  freeways if the planned 85 mph speed limit goes ahead
https://www.aaroads.com/west/nevada015/i-015_nb_exit_027_03.jpg     

vdeane

OR will go 85 when hell freezes over.  They can't even do 70; while the law sets the "standard maximum" at 70, the DOT considers every mile of highway to be a "special exception" to that rule warranting 65 or lower.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadfro

Quote from: Interstatefan78 on April 20, 2013, 12:40:54 AM
Also this might require NV to use 70 mph day 65 night on Las Vegas  freeways if the planned 85 mph speed limit goes ahead

Not sure where this statement comes from... Nevada does not use night speeds.

From what I recall reading, urban freeway speed limits would likely remain unchanged, staying at 65. It was places between cities and towns that NDOT could change limits on (after performing speed/safety studies).

Interstatefan78

Quote from: roadfro on April 20, 2013, 01:04:23 PM
Also this might require NV to use 70 mph day 65 night on Las Vegas  freeways if the planned 85 mph speed limit goes ahead

Not sure where this statement comes from... Nevada does not use night speeds.

From what I recall reading, urban freeway speed limits would likely remain unchanged, staying at 65. It was places between cities and towns that NDOT could change limits on (after performing speed/safety studies).
Perhaps I was think of TX which had night speed limits up to 2012. Also NDOT will retain the 65 mph speed zones in the cities therefore they should put some safety corridors on their highways and NJDOT,PENNDOT and Caltrans do have safety corridors that have fines doubled http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=PR&Date=20130401&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=1010403&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80

myosh_tino

Perhaps NV should have an 85 mph speed limit in all rural highways and this might lead to CA,NV,UT, and OR using 85 mph speed zones in their Rural highways. Currently I-15 South from Las Vegas,NV to Ontario,Ca has 70 mph speed limit and of NV decides to go 85 on LV to Primm then CA will go 85 on Ontario to CA/NV stateline and also Escondido to Corona on I-15

I think you'll have a hard time convincing Caltrans and the CHP to allow 85 MPH speed limits on any freeway.  There's two problems that I see.  First, California has a 55 MPH limit on big rigs and cars towing trailers so if 85 MPH limits are introduced, then the 30 MPH difference would be a huge problem.  After seeing trucks tailgate me doing 70-75 MPH on I-15 between Las Vegas and the California state line makes me very glad California sets their speed limit at 55 MPH. 

Another problem is, in California, speed limits can only be reduced at most 10 MPH at a time in an effort to eliminate speed traps.  With an 85 MPH limit, you'll have to first drop the limit to 75 MPH before dropping it to 65 MPH.  That would mean the 85 MPH limit would have to end a couple of miles before entering an urban area to allow drivers enough time to slow down.

With all that said, I believe there are some stretches of rural California freeways where an 85 MPH speed limit might be appropriate given the terrain and traffic volumes.  Getting the Caltrans, the CHP and state legislators to go along with it is another story.

Note: As an aside, I'm quite surprised that I-15 retains its 70 MPH limit through the cities of Barstow and Victorville.  I guess these cities aren't "urban" enough to warrant the lowering of the speed limit to 65 MPH.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

vdeane

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 22, 2013, 03:39:33 AM
Another problem is, in California, speed limits can only be reduced at most 10 MPH at a time in an effort to eliminate speed traps.  With an 85 MPH limit, you'll have to first drop the limit to 75 MPH before dropping it to 65 MPH.  That would mean the 85 MPH limit would have to end a couple of miles before entering an urban area to allow drivers enough time to slow down.
Does CA also have a law requiring these zones to be a mile long?  In NY it's often done on more major roads (but not always) and those speed zones are usually 1/10 mile long.  Even on interstates, the longest I've seen is 1/2 mile long.

agentsteel53

I think you'll have a hard time convincing Caltrans and the CHP to allow 85 MPH speed limits on any freeway.  There's two problems that I see.  First, California has a 55 MPH limit on big rigs and cars towing trailers so if 85 MPH limits are introduced, then the 30 MPH difference would be a huge problem.  After seeing trucks tailgate me doing 70-75 MPH on I-15 between Las Vegas and the California state line makes me very glad California sets their speed limit at 55 MPH.

I'm the exact opposite way.  I'd rather not have one truck doing 61 passing another doing 60.

I'd be okay with raising the truck speed limit to be 75 if the general one goes to 85.

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 22, 2013, 01:01:32 PM

I'm the exact opposite way.  I'd rather not have one truck doing 61 passing another doing 60.

I'd be okay with raising the truck speed limit to be 75 if the general one goes to 85.

Good luck getting trucks to go that fast, with speed limiters on so many of them.

85mph on I-5 in the Central Valley could be manageable if another lane were added in each direction.  Of course, there's no money for that.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

myosh_tino

Quote from: vdeane on April 22, 2013, 12:30:40 PM
Does CA also have a law requiring these zones to be a mile long?  In NY it's often done on more major roads (but not always) and those speed zones are usually 1/10 mile long.  Even on interstates, the longest I've seen is 1/2 mile long.
I'm not sure how long each of these zones need to be.  1/10th of a mile is way too short for a freeway IMO but I think 1/2 mile is reasonable.  Keep in mind that at 85 MPH, you're going to cover one mile in a little more than 40 seconds.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

vdeane

If I take the foot off the gas, my speed drops like a rock.  Of course, I do drive a stick shift.  Automatics take longer to slow down, but that's what the breaks are for; that's the price you pay for not having a "real" car.

The 1/10 mile zones I mentioned were from going from 55 to 40 to 30 on NY 12, so I don't think it's a huge issue on freeways if it isn't here.

djsinco

Try slowing like that with a 40 ton truck, which are legal on those same roads.

Another thing common in NY state, the famous "Reduced Speed Ahead," or "Speed Zone Ahead" signs. The following sign usually tells you what the actual new speed limit is, although sometimes this is around a bend or at the bottom of a hill. These signs, along with "Speed Zone Ends," should be outlawed, as they are obviously not communicating the concept fully.

Molandfreak

Quote from: djsinco on April 23, 2013, 01:12:59 PM

Another thing common in NY state, the famous "Reduced Speed Ahead," or "Speed Zone Ahead" signs. The following sign usually tells you what the actual new speed limit is, although sometimes this is around a bend or at the bottom of a hill. These signs, along with "Speed Zone Ends," should be outlawed, as they are obviously not communicating the concept fully.
Exactly. Even when there's a standard speed limit in a state, it's still confusing as heck for people not from the area. :clap:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: djsinco on April 23, 2013, 01:12:59 PM

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't all be forced to slow down because of what a truck might need to do.  Should we all have to stop at railroad crossings because school busses have to?

NY is phasing out the "speed zone ahead", "reduced speed ahead", and "end XX limit" signs, but it's more of a "change when replaced" policy rather that actively changing signage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.