News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Most Boring Stretches of Highway

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, March 07, 2013, 12:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsinco

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 24, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 24, 2013, 01:26:41 AM
Alabama's I-65 from the big bridges north of Mobile up to Montgomery is torturous.  There is NOTHING on that road for about 150 miles or so.

The times I've been on that road I've set my cruise control at 90 mph (weather permitting) and I found I wasn't passing anyone.
It seems likely you didn't pass the police!
3 million miles and counting

1995hoo

Quote from: djsinco on May 24, 2013, 02:36:49 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 24, 2013, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 24, 2013, 01:26:41 AM
Alabama's I-65 from the big bridges north of Mobile up to Montgomery is torturous.  There is NOTHING on that road for about 150 miles or so.

The times I've been on that road I've set my cruise control at 90 mph (weather permitting) and I found I wasn't passing anyone.
It seems likely you didn't pass the police!

Not that I recall. Bear in mind, when I say "I wasn't passing anyone" I don't mean I had the road to myself–I just mean I was the slowest car on the road. (On a different trip in March 1997 going from Montgomery back to North Carolina via I-59 I set the cruise control at 100 and I did have the road to myself....except when a V-12 powered Mercedes went flying past.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TEG24601 on May 24, 2013, 11:25:07 AM
I-90 from Ellensburg to Spokane; Bozeman to Billings; Casper to Sioux Falls; Rochester to Madison.

I-94 from Billings to Alexandria; St. Cloud to St. Paul; Gary to Ann Arbor.

I-5 from Vancouver to Olympia.

I-84 from Hood River to Salt Lake City.

I-65 from Chicago to Indianapolis.

I'd start your I-84 section further east, as there's nothing boring about those mountains in eastern Oregon.  For I-5, I definitely agree with the Centralia/Chehalis area, but there's definitely something to be said for the area around Kalama where the freeway parallels the river.

And this one's personal, but I-90 near Moses Lake was the site of the most intense driving I've ever experienced, a sudden thunderstorm that required going about 25 mph until we pulled over on the shoulder along with about five other cars.

leroys73

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

djsinco

Quote from: leroys73 on May 25, 2013, 01:42:58 PM
:sleep:  = Illinois I-70
The first few miles headed east from the Poplar St. bridge are seldom dull...
3 million miles and counting

leroys73

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 25, 2013, 12:28:06 AM
And this one's personal, but I-90 near Moses Lake was the site of the most intense driving I've ever experienced, a sudden thunderstorm that required going about 25 mph until we pulled over on the shoulder along with about five other cars.

I had a similar experience once on I-95 in Florida between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville. 

An incredibly intense downpour from a sudden thunderstorm cell flooded the freeway with (what seemed like) a foot of water in about 30 seconds.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 24, 2013, 03:37:36 PM

Not that I recall. Bear in mind, when I say "I wasn't passing anyone" I don't mean I had the road to myself–I just mean I was the slowest car on the road. (On a different trip in March 1997 going from Montgomery back to North Carolina via I-59 I set the cruise control at 100 and I did have the road to myself....except when a V-12 powered Mercedes went flying past.)

I wonder where Alabama seems to have gotten its reputation as a speeder haven.

one of the fastest cars I ever saw on a public road in the US was in 2009: a Dodge Viper passed me, quite likely up against the governor at 155mph.  definitely bat-out-of-hell speed.  this was on I-10, about 30 miles before the Alabama state line in Mississippi.

not too long thereafter, just over the state line, I saw him pulled over by the side of the road.  one Mississippi state trooper, four Alabama state troopers.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

silverback1065

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 07, 2013, 12:10:25 AM
Hey there.

I was reading the "I-64 in Indiana" thread, and it had me thinking...about the opposite.

The Indiana portion of I-64 is said to be the one of the most beautiful experiences in interstate driving. However, there are stretches that, personally, makes me want to say, "Please end this."

Two great examples here: the stretch on I-65 between U.S. 231 in Crown Point and Indianapolis (with minor exception in Lafayette) is just open field and not much else. It has been tempered a bit by the wind turbines installed north of Lafayette in 2009, but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

The stretch of I-55 from I-80 to I-74 in Illinois is just death. There's absolutely nothing going on. The only fun there is if you somehow drive alongside an Amtrak train coasting along the tracks that sit just east of the highway.

What examples do you have? Share them here. I thank you for your time.

Add US 52 from 65 to Lafayette, it parallels 65 and is equally boring! I use it often to get to Purdue.

texaskdog

I-94 across North Dakota is God-awful.  Used to always take the slightly longer I-90 across South Dakota for better scenery.

agentsteel53

Quote from: texaskdog on June 07, 2013, 10:15:16 AM
I-94 across North Dakota is God-awful.  Used to always take the slightly longer I-90 across South Dakota for better scenery.

I did it once in the middle of the night, and took as much of old US-10 as I could find back the next day.

jake@aaroads.com

txstateends

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 08, 2013, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: InterstateNG on March 07, 2013, 04:35:24 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 07, 2013, 01:23:45 PM
The entire stretch of I-70 in Illinois is pretty boring. There's hardly anything to look at (including very few billboards).

There's that giant cross in Effingham.

Yep... I got a picture of that as I was driving. Did you know there's also a similar cross like that on I-40 in the Texas Panhandle (somewhere east of Amarillo)?

The tall panhandle cross is in Groom.

One road that I find excruciating is the rural sections of TX 19.  My dad liked it for some reason, later my mother thought it was a great way to go to take my grandmother to my aunt's house.  Fortunately, since adulthood, there are other/better ways to take for me than TX 19.

IIRR, the only time I've been on TX 87 in SE TX, there are many long boring parts to it also.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

relaxok

I don't have any experience driving in the plains states, so... I will say that on my trip from New England to Atlanta, I-81 through Virginia was a total snoozefest.

signalman

Quote from: relaxok on June 10, 2013, 05:22:20 PM
I don't have any experience driving in the plains states, so... I will say that on my trip from New England to Atlanta, I-81 through Virginia was a total snoozefest.
I wouldn't call I-81 through Virginia a snoozefest.  Infact, quite the opposite.  More like a stressfest.

Sonic99

How I-5 from the bottom of the Grapevine to the turnoff for San Francisco/Oakland isn't on here is just beyond me. You could literally get to the I-5/US99 split for Bakersfield, set the cruise for 80-ish, lock the steering straight, and take a 4 hour nap. It was the most horrendous drive I've ever done. And I wasn't even driving. What made it worse was that on both sides of you are mountain ranges (especially west), and you KNOW that there is some amazing driving happening JUST to your left (heading north) with the Pacific Coast Highway (CA 1), but you are stuck in Boresville USA for 4 hours.
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

texaskdog

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 07, 2013, 11:44:56 AM

I did it once in the middle of the night, and took as much of old US-10 as I could find back the next day.

There is a giant cow about halfway across.  It is the only interesting thing you'll see after the badlands.

NE2

Quote from: Sonic99 on June 10, 2013, 07:09:32 PM
How I-5 from the bottom of the Grapevine to the turnoff for San Francisco/Oakland isn't on here is just beyond me.
Somehow that part of I-5 is a state scenic route. I've never been on it, so I can't personally call bullshit.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

there are some fairly scenic sections of I-5, as it approaches and bounces off the hills.  that said, there's also hundreds upon hundreds of trucks, and CA-33 is right there for an actually interesting alternative.

jake@aaroads.com

kkt

How I-5 from the bottom of the Grapevine to the turnoff for San Francisco/Oakland isn't on here is just beyond me. You could literally get to the I-5/US99 split for Bakersfield, set the cruise for 80-ish, lock the steering straight, and take a 4 hour nap. It was the most horrendous drive I've ever done. And I wasn't even driving. What made it worse was that on both sides of you are mountain ranges (especially west), and you KNOW that there is some amazing driving happening JUST to your left (heading north) with the Pacific Coast Highway (CA 1), but you are stuck in Boresville USA for 4 hours.

Um... it is on the list:

Quote from: kkt on March 07, 2013, 12:02:06 PM
I-5 from Woodland to Red Bluff and Los Banos to Wheeler Ridge and Eugene to Tigard

kphoger

You could literally get to the I-5/US99 split for Bakersfield, set the cruise for 80-ish, lock the steering straight, and take a 4 hour nap.
[emphasis added] [no crap]

And I bet you would literally die if you did that.   :rolleyes:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: texaskdog on June 10, 2013, 07:21:43 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 07, 2013, 11:44:56 AM

There is a giant cow about halfway across.  It is the only interesting thing you'll see after the badlands.
It's also about halfway across on old US 10, which is an infinitely more interesting road than I-94.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2013, 05:56:23 PM
It's also about halfway across on old US 10, which is an infinitely more interesting road than I-94.

astonishingly, I do not remember that.  where is it?

jake@aaroads.com

Thing 342

As a frequent traveller between Hampton Roads and Columbia, SC, I nominate I-20 between Florence and Columbia. There is zero along that stretch that interests me, mostly just trees, weeds, and insanely loud pavement.

Interstatefan78

What about California's I-5 in the Central valley farms mostly throughout except Stockton and Sacramento which are cities that I-5 goes through in the central valley or US-101 from San Miguel to Salinas which are farmlands that run along the Salinas River Valley

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.