AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: Saskatchewan Highways  (Read 12243 times)

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 12:37:00 AM
    • Alps' Roads
Re: Saskatchewan Highways
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 11:44:19 PM »

Stumbled upon this old alignment today: https://goo.gl/maps/GjjPD4nziY22

srpyyc

• Last Login: November 11, 2019, 09:59:29 PM
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 05:37:07 PM »

I did a road trip this week from Calgary to Saskatoon and Regina and back.  Can anyone tell me why there is a gap in the twinning of SK 11 at Chamberlain? 

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: November 14, 2019, 05:36:43 PM
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 11:30:09 AM »

I did a road trip this week from Calgary to Saskatoon and Regina and back.  Can anyone tell me why there is a gap in the twinning of SK 11 at Chamberlain? 

I guess it might be related to the business owners of that area who don't want to be bypassed.

Meanwhile, there's another study then I saw from an article published in May about the railroad crossings on Circle Drive in northeast Regina.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-city-council-railway-lines-may-1-1.4642903

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 02:24:11 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »

Meanwhile, there's another study then I saw from an article published in May about the railroad crossings on Circle Drive Ring Road in northeast Regina.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-city-council-railway-lines-may-1-1.4642903

FTFY. Circle Drive is up in Saskatoon.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Chris

• International road enthusiast

• Last Login: November 14, 2019, 04:24:53 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »

Upgrading Highway 11 to a four lane divided, 110 km/h road would also be expensive. A typical Highway 11 ROW of 60 - 80 meters doesn't fit between the village and the railroad tracks, plus you need a service road for Chamberlain access. That would likely require Highway 11 to be rerouted on a new alignment, preferrably with bridges across the railroad. That's a lot of money...

In addition, most of the 90 people in Chamberlain are probably employed by businesses that cater to passing traffic. It could be the same reason why the sections of I-10 and I-40 around smaller towns in the southwest were the last to be constructed.

Chris

• Flickr
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »

The Regina Bypass is nearly complete and will open to traffic later this month.

This'll be the new route numbering:

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: November 14, 2019, 05:36:43 PM
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2019, 06:08:02 PM »

I'm surprised to see the absence of an Hwy-1A.

Speaking of beltways, I saw some plans about Saskatoon perimeter highway on Skyscraperpage forums. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showpost.php?p=8716005&postcount=7848

I wonder how's the project of twinning SK-6 and SK-39 from Regina to Estevan goes?

Concrete Bob

• Last Login: November 14, 2019, 11:20:00 PM
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »

Regina bypass opens to traffic on Tuesday, October 29, 2019.  Yaayyy !!

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/busy-construction-season-comes-to-an-end-in-regina-across-sask-1.4654512

oscar

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2019, 01:24:43 AM »

I drove the Regina Bypass earlier today. A few quick notes, on my way out of Regina:

-- The part of the Bypass that is TCH 1 (including the final phase south of Regina, and earlier phases east to Balgonie) has exit numbers, which run from east to west from 217 in Balgonie to 258 on the west side of Regina. For some reason, the provincial highways ministry logs its cross-province routes that way, in this case starting at the Manitoba border. I think these exit numbers are Saskatchewan's first, though there is at least one older lettered exit on SK 11 north of Regina.

-- It's all four lanes or sometimes more divided, with a posted 110 km/h speed limit except approaching the Bypass terminus at SK 11 exit 19. This includes the part of the Bypass along the west side of Regina, onto which SK 11 was rerouted (originally it connected to the TCH on the east side of Regina, at a congested interchange with Victoria Ave.).

-- While every intersection has exit-numbered ramps, there are two with at-grade minor-road crossings: Courtney Avenue on the TCH at exit 253, and Armour Road at SK 11 exit 14. There are no traffic lights at those intersections, and no reduction in the 110 km/h speed limit.

The Bypass is a longer but faster route through the Regina area, and is a big improvement over the TCH's earlier routing along parts of the older Ring Road freeway and Victoria Ave.

Chris

• Flickr
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »

Do you think that Winnipeg - Saskatoon traffic will also use it? It's quite a long ways around Regina if you want to go from Highway 1 to Highway 11.

I've read that most truckers from Winnipeg to Saskatoon and Edmonton prefer the four lane Highway 1/11 instead of the 16, which is a long two-lane road. Google Maps indicates that the travel time difference between the 16 and 1/11 is only in the range of 5 minutes (via the old route through Regina).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:04:47 PM by Chris »

oscar

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »

Do you think that Winnipeg - Saskatoon traffic will also use it? It's quite a long ways around Regina if you want to go from Highway 1 to Highway 11.

It can be a slow slog if you take the old route (Victoria Ave. => northbound SK 6/Ring Rd. => old SK 11/new SK 11A), though the Bypass will take some of the congestion off Victoria Ave. Yeah, the Bypass is longer, but the higher speed limit and absence of the multiple stoplights on Victoria Ave. offsets that.

The Bypass might be used as an excuse to limit trucks on the old route, though that seems not to have happened yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.