News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Vintage New York City "Color Coded" Street Signs

Started by M3019C LPS20, March 16, 2013, 01:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

Large vinyl aluminum street signs have been in use in New York City since 1964 or so, and they were what ultimately replaced their predecessors, which were generally porcelain street signs.

Unlike today's street signs throughout the five boroughs, which have green backgrounds with either white letters or numbers, large vinyl aluminum street signs were originally available in several different pairs of colors, and one pair was used for each borough. These were in use from their introduction until the early 1980s, which was when the universal color scheme first appeared in the picture (what is still in use today).

I enjoy to collect and preserve vintage New York City street signs, and, below, is a picture of my collection of vintage "color coded" vinyl aluminum street signs. One from each borough in the city of New York.

From top to bottom, "225 ST" is from Queens, while "E 57 ST" is from Manhattan. Next, "MILL LA" is from Staten Island, while "FOSTER AV" is from Brooklyn. Finally, "MORRIS AV" is from the Bronx.

Queens...white background with either blue letters or numbers.
Brooklyn...black background with either white letters or numbers.
Staten Island...yellow background with either black letters or numbers.
Manhattan...same color scheme as Staten Island.
The Bronx...total opposite of Queens. Blue background with either white letters or numbers.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2013, 08:40:27 PM
I thought that Manhattan changed their street blades to white on green with some having Lady Liberty to the side? 
Maybe you didn't actually read his post. Let's take a look:
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 16, 2013, 01:34:46 AM
Unlike today's street signs throughout the five boroughs, which have green backgrounds with either white letters or numbers
Yeah, there it is.

roadman65

Cannot believe I missed that paragraph!  I must of been amazed with the photos so much, I skipped over that part or something.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: roadman65 on March 24, 2013, 08:40:27 PM
I thought that Manhattan changed their street blades to white on green with some having Lady Liberty to the side? 

That particular street sign (with the Statue of Liberty on the side) appeared in the borough of Manhattan as early as 1981.

PurdueBill

Is it still the case that the green signs with the Statue of Liberty logo appear in part of Manhattan, not the whole borough?  I recall that it used to be used in a certain area that included Times Square but not the whole thing.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 25, 2013, 09:26:42 PM
Is it still the case that the green signs with the Statue of Liberty logo appear in part of Manhattan, not the whole borough?  I recall that it used to be used in a certain area that included Times Square but not the whole thing.

To my knowledge, yes.

mapman1071

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 25, 2013, 11:04:26 PM

To my knowledge, yes.

The WTC logo Street Signs are still up
There are also Tall Sip Logos street signs in the South Street Seaport Area

mapman1071

Quote from: mapman1071 on March 26, 2013, 11:26:14 PM
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on March 25, 2013, 11:04:26 PM

To my knowledge, yes.

The WTC logo Street Signs are still up
There are also Tall Sip Logos street signs in the South Street Seaport Area

There are also White and Brown Signs In Central and Prospect Parks and also in historic districts and blocks in all 5 boros in both the old font, both in Clearview or one blade side in old and the other blade side in clearview.

M3019C LPS20

I remember them, not to mention the black and white street signs that are located in lower Manhattan's financial district.

There are obviously several kinds that exist in the city. Another kind that I remember typically dedicated a hero in a community. The street sign had a blue background with white letters (same color scheme that street signs in the Bronx once had). There are a couple that I know of that still remain. Nowadays, from what I have seen, New York City uses the standard color scheme (green background with white letters) for that particular kind of street sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.