News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

[Humor] Report: It Pretty Incredible That Americans Entrusted With Driving Cars

Started by cpzilliacus, March 27, 2013, 06:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

triplemultiplex

Ah yes, my go-to reading material for the commode. :p

So who's going to be the first to complain that the picture of traffic in the article is clearly not from America?
(license plates!)
That's a hell of a street; eight lanes undivided with angle parking.  Anyone for Frogger?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 27, 2013, 09:32:18 PM
So who's going to be the first to complain that the picture of traffic in the article is clearly not from America?
(license plates!)

Beat me to it...Too many Volvos to be America.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: formulanone on March 27, 2013, 10:40:45 PM
(license plates!)

Beat me to it...Too many Volvos to be America.

There's also a VAZ-2101 (a Soviet Russian Fiat) moving away from the camera, another dead giveaway that it's not the United States.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 27, 2013, 11:07:56 PM

There's also a VAZ-2101 (a Soviet Russian Fiat) moving away from the camera, another dead giveaway that it's not the United States.

two of them.  one in #3 lane, one in #4.

and upon seeing them, my first impression was that they are Ladas.  they're not?

as for where this is... my guess is some former Eastern Bloc country.  maybe Moscow?  or, insufficient Ladas for that? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 27, 2013, 11:07:56 PM

two of them.  one in #3 lane, one in #4.

and upon seeing them, my first impression was that they are Ladas.  they're not?

as for where this is... my guess is some former Eastern Bloc country.  maybe Moscow?  or, insufficient Ladas for that?

Lada and Vaz and Zhiguli are the essentially the same thing - a 1970's-era Fiat (model 124), hardened somewhat for Soviet conditions - though the company AvtoVAZ is still around, though not building those cars any longer.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 28, 2013, 02:16:11 PM
Lada and Vaz and Zhiguli are the essentially the same thing - a 1970's-era Fiat (model 124), hardened somewhat for Soviet conditions - though the company AvtoVAZ is still around, though not building those cars any longer.

and now I know!

I once saw a Lada in Toronto.  it could, theoretically, have entered the US.  not as a regular-issue import (was never safety-tested for US standards), but just as a visitor. 

I'd still like to know where that photo is from.  what country uses solid double white stripe to separate opposing directions of traffic?  too bad they blanked out all the license plates; that was not very nice of them.  if my license plate appeared in a stock photo, I'd probably think to myself "hey cool!"
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 02:21:20 PM
I'd still like to know where that photo is from.  what country uses solid double white stripe to separate opposing directions of traffic?  too bad they blanked out all the license plates; that was not very nice of them.  if my license plate appeared in a stock photo, I'd probably think to myself "hey cool!"

The photographer, Pavel Losevsky, is from Moscow.  He posted one other image to stockfresh.com in the same series, and that one is titled many cars on big Moscow road, so I'd say it's a safe bet the picture was taken in Moscow.  If you'd like to find out the specific intersection, you could email him (adv12@narod.ru) or friend him on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pavel.losevsky), but I don't know if he speaks English.  How's that for stalking?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

[Emphasis added below]

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2013, 10:37:57 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 28, 2013, 02:21:20 PM

The photographer, Pavel Losevsky, is from Moscow.  He posted one other image to stockfresh.com in the same series, and that one is titled many cars on big Moscow road, so I'd say it's a safe bet the picture was taken in Moscow.  If you'd like to find out the specific intersection, you could email him (adv12@narod.ru) or friend him on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pavel.losevsky), but I don't know if he speaks English.  How's that for stalking?

Good job.

I  definitely don't speak Russian, but narod means (roughly) the people or the (unwashed) masses.

Road Hog

Ah yes, my go-to reading material for the commode. :p

(license plates!)
That's a hell of a street; eight lanes undivided with angle parking.  Anyone for Frogger?

Count me in. I'll kick your ass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.