American Territory Road Pictures?

Started by KEK Inc., March 28, 2013, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

There's a lot of Puerto Rico road signs on the web, but it's a bit harder to find some of the other territories like Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Isles.  Wikipedia shows the shields that they use, and they're at least using the same font.  I know that Puerto Rico follows our MUTCD pretty well -- in Spanish!

None of these photos are credited to me. 

Guam:

American Samoa:

Source

Source

Source

U.S. Virgin Islands:

Source

Source

Take the road less traveled.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEK Inc.

Nice try NE2, but that old thread isn't relevant to this.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

KEK Inc.

Japan was never an American territory...  Those signs may have been from when the allies occupied Japan after WWII.

english si

Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 29, 2013, 04:59:26 AMJapan was never an American territory...  Those signs may have been from when the allies occupied Japan after WWII.
That's what a territory is...

OK, Japan was a de facto one rather than de jure, but it wasn't a sovereign state while occupied.

de jure ones (eg Falklands, Puerto Rico, St Pierre et Miquelon) nowadays are with the consent of the governed, rather than kept occupied by force.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: english si on March 29, 2013, 09:09:37 AM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 29, 2013, 04:59:26 AMJapan was never an American territory...  Those signs may have been from when the allies occupied Japan after WWII.
That's what a territory is...

OK, Japan was a de facto one rather than de jure, but it wasn't a sovereign state while occupied.

de jure ones (eg Falklands, Puerto Rico, St Pierre et Miquelon) nowadays are with the consent of the governed, rather than kept occupied by force.

At one point, the United States had de facto control over all of Cuba (not just Guantanamo Bay), all of the Philippines, and, the U.S. sector of what is now Germany - and the U.S. sector of Berlin (I don't think the residents of the U.S. sector, or for that matter, the British and French sectors) wanted the U.S. to leave their part of the  city open to Soviet occupation.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: KEK Inc. on March 28, 2013, 08:08:35 PM
There's a lot of Puerto Rico road signs on the web, but it's a bit harder to find some of the other territories like Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Isles.

You forgot the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands!  <smile>
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

I have one photo of road signs back when Hawaii was a territory.  These are from the temporary wartime route number system on Oahu (except for that, no signed route numbers in Hawaii until just before statehood).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Alps

froggie

NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.