News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Excessively Oversized Signs

Started by deathtopumpkins, April 10, 2013, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on April 12, 2013, 11:31:25 PM
Huge street name sign: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.246441,-81.43605&spn=0.00862,0.016512&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.246626,-81.436052&panoid=4UfxX0bPcFbCT4WQXdlByg&cbp=12,47.17,,1,0.47
Wait till you see the new back lit street signs installed at the John Young Parkway & Orange Blossom Trail with the JYP extension project.  Like the FUN SPOT family park commercial "Itttttttts Huuuuuuuuge!"
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SidS1045 on April 12, 2013, 03:00:47 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 12, 2013, 02:28:10 AM
Quote from: kurumi on April 11, 2013, 10:57:55 PM

Enormous MA 213 sign, MA 28, Methuen

Looks like a standard MA shield. Newly erected ones are generally quite large. I'd say at least 30x24 for a 3-digit rectangle. At least. They usually get 2 poles with directions or arrows mounted on one off-center.

I do agree though, the fact that we use shields this large is a bit excessive.

For a very long time Massachusetts took a lot of flak, especially from visitors, for not marking state roads very well.  In some places it was impossible even for natives to stay on certain numbered state routes (MA-16 from Boston west was particularly bad).  I wonder if they're overcompensating by using such large shields.

Some still aren't, especially on town-maintained roads. I still sometimes get lost in downtown Amesbury looking for 110 or 150. Worcester can also be a bit lacking in signage for state routes: even MA 9 has some spotty signage. For the most part though in eastern, urbanized Mass. the only issues are on town or city roads, and in western Mass. the only issues are on roads that shouldn't really be state highways in the first place (I'm looking at you, 8A and 101).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

amroad17

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2013, 11:55:12 AM
I don't even know what used to be on this sign....

http://goo.gl/maps/pVKoF

IF YOU WANT TO ENTER
                      THE UNITED STATES
                 DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

(in Spanish, of course)
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Billy F 1988

SI QUIERES ENTRAR
                       LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS
                  HACE BAJO SU PROPIO RIESGO!

There's the Spanish translation.  :sombrero:
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

amroad17

Thanks, I do not know much Spanish.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

lordsutch

Uh, it's facing in the wrong direction for that.  It probably was directions on Mex 2 (Laredo & Monterrey left, Piedras Negras & Ciudad Acuña etc. right).

NE2

My guess: a fucking billboard.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Looks like a standard MA shield. Newly erected ones are generally quite large. I'd say at least 30×24 for a 3-digit rectangle.

No no, 30×24 is reasonable if not a bit small by modern standards.  I think Ohio's standard for conventional roads is 37½×30.  To me, that sign looks like 60×48.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: vtk on April 14, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

Looks like a standard MA shield. Newly erected ones are generally quite large. I'd say at least 30×24 for a 3-digit rectangle.excessive.

No no, 30×24 is reasonable if not a bit small by modern standards.  I think Ohio's standard for conventional roads is 37½×30.  To me, that sign looks like 60×48.

Yes, yes, we already established that I was wrong upthread - I'm terrible at estimating shield sizes, I know. Need I apologize again?

Also, don't twist my words. I did not call 30x24 excessive, I called the MA large shield size excessive, but you cut that out of your quote.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vtk

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on April 14, 2013, 04:19:52 PM
Quote from: vtk on April 14, 2013, 02:04:15 PM

Looks like a standard MA shield. Newly erected ones are generally quite large. I'd say at least 30×24 for a 3-digit rectangle.excessive.

Yes, yes, we already established that I was wrong upthread - I'm terrible at estimating shield sizes, I know. Need I apologize again?

Also, don't twist my words. I did not call 30x24 excessive, I called the MA large shield size excessive, but you cut that out of your quote.

Oops, I messed up the quote; the word "excessive" should have been omitted as well.  Though it did seem to me at the time that you were characterizing "at least 30×24" as "quite large".  And another reply seemed to still underestimate the size at 45×36. I guess I just couldn't let it go.

PS – I enjoy that you countered my opening "no no" with an opening "yes yes".  Made me smile.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

kphoger

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 13, 2013, 09:46:51 PM
                         SI QUIERES ENTRAR
                       LOS ESTADOS UNIDOS
                  HACE BAJO SU PROPIO RIESGO!

There's the Spanish translation.  :sombrero:

Quote from: amroad17 on April 13, 2013, 09:53:58 PM
Thanks, I do not know much Spanish.

Neither does he, I'm guessing.  Although it isn't super terrible.

Si quiera (subjunctive) entrar en (added preposition) los Estados Unidos, hacerlo (reflexive infinitive, used as polite imperative) bajo su propia responsabilidad (more common vocab).

[EDIT:  quieras to quiera

Quote from: NE2 on April 14, 2013, 01:20:59 AM

I've thought of that, but the color just keeps screaming highway sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

I dunno... fucking is pretty popular as is; does it need its own advertising?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 15, 2013, 04:11:09 PM
Greenout due to censorship?

I dunno about you guys, but it clearly says "©2009 Google".

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 15, 2013, 04:06:50 PM

I dunno... fucking is pretty popular as is; does it need its own advertising?
Yes. Yes it does.

Billy F 1988

Don't remind me. That is what is known as teabagging!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 15, 2013, 11:32:25 PM
Don't remind me. That is what is known as teabagging!
No, teabagging is when you dip your scrotum into your partner's/drunk friend's mouth or elsewhere on their face.

PHLBOS

Guys, can we please keep it somewhat clean here?  Seriously.  The last 3 posts were over-the-top IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

I agree. No teabagging on this forum.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 16, 2013, 08:32:42 AM
Guys, can we please keep it somewhat clean here?  Seriously.  The last 3 posts were over-the-top IMHO.

Agreed.  Let's keep this rated R and not NC-17.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

The sign Steve posted is real, isn't it? Isn't there really a town/village/hamlet with that name somewhere in Europe?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2013, 10:24:57 AM
The sign Steve posted is real, isn't it? Isn't there really a town/village/hamlet with that name somewhere in Europe?

Yes, there is.  Fucking, Austria.

QuoteThe village is especially popular with British tourists; as a local tour guide explained: "The Germans all want to see Mozart's house in Salzburg; the Americans want to see where The Sound of Music was filmed; the Japanese want Hitler's birthplace in Braunau; but for the British, it's all about Fucking."

Interestingly, it's named for a person, Focko, a Bavarian nobleman; hence "Fucking" means, in German, "place of Focko's people".

How's that to expand one's knowledge for the day!  :rofl:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2013, 10:33:44 AM

Is it sister cities with Intercourse, Pa.?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on April 16, 2013, 01:45:35 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2013, 10:33:44 AM

Is it sister cities with Intercourse, Pa.?  :-D

Sure as hell wouldn't be with Blue Ball, PA.  :biggrin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.