News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Excessively Oversized Signs

Started by deathtopumpkins, April 10, 2013, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2013, 09:54:20 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 16, 2013, 08:32:42 AM
Guys, can we please keep it somewhat clean here?  Seriously.  The last 3 posts were over-the-top IMHO.

Agreed.  Let's keep this rated R and not NC-17.

Rated R for Roads.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Big John

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2013, 02:53:30 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2013, 09:54:20 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 16, 2013, 08:32:42 AM
Guys, can we please keep it somewhat clean here?  Seriously.  The last 3 posts were over-the-top IMHO.

Agreed.  Let's keep this rated R and not NC-17.

Rated R for Roads.
And there is no North Carolina route 17.  17 is a US highway there though.

agentsteel53

there is, however, a route PG-13 in Puerto Guam (a jointly held subsidiary of Alanland Alanworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

If NC-17 is the newfangled politically-correct version of X, does than mean a XXX flick would now be NC-51?

(Yes, I know the answer is "no" because the MPAA owns the NC-17 rating.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

NC-4913, actually.  Which really needs to be a North Carolina state highway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2013, 05:26:33 PM
I'm bizarrely inspired to split off from this thread, "MPAA ratings, sexuality, and road numbering." Or write a scholarly research paper.

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2013, 03:22:22 PM
there is, however, a route PG-13 in Puerto Guam (a jointly held subsidiary of Alanland Alanworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern)

No love for Matsumura Fish Works?

(hmmm...T-shirts exist)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Steve on April 16, 2013, 06:16:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 16, 2013, 05:26:33 PM
I'm bizarrely inspired to split off from this thread, "MPAA ratings, sexuality, and road numbering." Or write a scholarly research paper.

If you want to expaned your paper to include license plates...

On occasion, I'll see a car with the license plate HOT 69X.  This is a standard issued NJ Tag (with the little state silhouette between HOT & 69X).  The woman driving it appears to be in her post-hot days, to put it nicely.

roadman

One of the southern states (South Carolina) no longer issues standard plates with the letter combination OMG.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kkt

Quote from: roadman on April 25, 2013, 04:18:41 PM
One of the southern states (South Carolina) no longer issues standard plates with the letter combination OMG.

How about LOL or WTF?

agentsteel53

POO is not used in California, simply because it conflicts with the number 00 for the commercial pattern (1A23456).  I believe 1P00234 is issued to commercial runs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 25, 2013, 05:32:10 PM
POO is not used in California, simply because it conflicts with the number 00 for the commercial pattern (1A23456).  I believe 1P00234 is issued to commercial runs.

Is the P00 series issued to trucks for cleaning our septic tanks?  :-P
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ap70621

There are some really huge speed limit 45 signs on NJ 23 near I-287 in Riverdale, NJ. Can't post a picture though since Streetview was taken before they were put up.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: kkt on April 25, 2013, 04:59:26 PM

How about LOL or WTF?

North Carolina once issued plates in the WTF-0000 series. These were on the short-lived red-die plates, sometime between 2007 and 2009.

OracleUsr

Quote from: ap70621 on April 25, 2013, 08:36:35 PM
There are some really huge speed limit 45 signs on NJ 23 near I-287 in Riverdale, NJ. Can't post a picture though since Streetview was taken before they were put up.

I-64 west of Williamsburg used to have a huge SPEED LIMIT 55 sign going towards Richmond.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cpzilliacus

Quote from: OracleUsr on April 25, 2013, 11:21:35 PM

I-64 west of Williamsburg used to have a huge SPEED LIMIT 55 sign going towards Richmond.

There were similar signs on I-95 northbound near Dumfries, Prince William County, Va.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

The winner for me of excessively oversized signs was this panel on DE 1/7 south after I-95 (long gone now, but was there throughout most of the 1990s):

Oddly enough, this sign might qualify as an early example of a OAPL sign.  :coffee:

OracleUsr

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 26, 2013, 01:41:32 PM

There were similar signs on I-95 northbound near Dumfries, Prince William County, Va.

Any pictures of these around?  I only knew about the I-64 one because in 1982 I took an overnight class trip to Williamsburg and we returned on I-64 to I-95.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: OracleUsr on April 27, 2013, 01:53:55 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 26, 2013, 01:41:32 PM

Any pictures of these around?  I only knew about the I-64 one because in 1982 I took an overnight class trip to Williamsburg and we returned on I-64 to I-95.

I never took one, and I they are gone now (according to GSV) - they were posted someplace between Exit 148, MCB Quantico (Russell Road) and Exit 152, Va. 234 (Dumfries Road).

The speed limit along that part of I-95 was raised in the last several years, and the signs would have had to be modified or removed for that reason.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

OracleUsr

Wait, I remember those now that you mention it.  There were many in VA like that, had a fairly large space above the word "SPEED"  I used to live in Gaithersburg, MD, so I sometimes used I-95 to go from my parents' house in Greensboro, NC, to my apartment (81 to 66 or 70 was my preferred route, though)

The I-64 one I'm thinking about was about the size of a large BGS...maybe I remember incorrectly.

amroad17

There are large "Speed Limit 55" signs before each end of the Big Walker Tunnel entrances as well as before the south entrance of the East River Tunnel.  They are not as large as the one I saw on I-64 westbound between Williamsburg and Richmond in 1990.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

OracleUsr

Ahh, okay, so I didn't dream it.

I had a 110 camera with me on the bus, shoulda grabbed a pic of it.

Duke87

How about LOL or WTF?

Connecticut let WTF slip:

And New York issued plates with FAP:

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Brandon

Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

How about LOL or WTF?

FAP - Federal Aid Primary?  That's one designation for route in Illinois (as in FAP-407 aka IL-336).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Duke87

Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2013, 07:09:45 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on April 28, 2013, 06:38:31 PM

How about LOL or WTF?

FAP - Federal Aid Primary?  That's one designation for route in Illinois (as in FAP-407 aka IL-336).

Nope. This.

It's kind of an internet thing, I suppose. Most people I mention it to have not heard the term before. Which I guess is why the DMV didn't catch it.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.