News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Cutout greenout

Started by NE2, April 14, 2013, 07:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Darkchylde

Wow. Interesting find.

Alps

agentsteel53

the state route shield was not a demountable element?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

I'm just amazed that the greenout was cut to shape rather than simply going the typical route and using a square or rectangle.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2013, 01:25:13 PM
I'm just amazed that the greenout was cut to shape rather than simply going the typical route and using a square or rectangle.

I'll bet they took a standard shield blank and painted it green.

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2013, 01:41:48 PM
Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2013, 01:25:13 PM

I'll bet they took a standard shield blank and painted sheeted it green.

FTFY

agentsteel53

Quote from: thenetwork on April 16, 2013, 08:56:01 PM

FTFY

is the non-reflective stuff sheeting as well?  I honestly do not know.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2013, 09:49:35 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on April 16, 2013, 08:56:01 PM

FTFY

is the non-reflective stuff sheeting as well?  I honestly do not know.
Nowadays, yes, either Engineer grade (Type I) or just plain non-reflective (no Type that I know of). They no longer paint anything.

Duke87

To answer the question of what's under the greenout.

Incidentally, I clinched AZ 143 last week. Was not aware there used to be another state highway right next door!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on April 16, 2013, 10:34:45 PMThey no longer paint anything.

do they even make anything non-reflective anymore? 

jake@aaroads.com

Central Avenue

You know, even if it is just a standard shield blank made green, it seems like this would be a weirdly time-consuming way to patch the sign. After all, if it's the same size as what it's covering, you gotta take the time to line it up precisely, as opposed to a square or rectangle that could just be made a little bit bigger than the shield.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 12:48:26 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 16, 2013, 10:34:45 PMThey no longer paint anything.

do they even make anything non-reflective anymore? 
Black...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on April 17, 2013, 06:46:13 PM
Black...

as a background?  are there any signs which start as a substrate of black vinyl and then have a lighter color screen-printed on top?  I do not believe this to be the case, because screen-printing for highway signs (or digital printing, for that matter) usually is best done with a light substrate and applying darker colors. 

even signs which are ostensibly light-on-dark contrast, like an interstate shield or a STOP sign, start out as white blanks and have inverse features added.

but yes, you are correct that black is the one opaque foreground color in regular use: the rest are all translucent, to allow the reflectivity through.  thus my question: are there any non-reflective signs being currently made out there? 

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 06:50:43 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 17, 2013, 06:46:13 PM
Black...

as a background?  are there any signs which start as a substrate of black vinyl and then have a lighter color screen-printed on top?  I do not believe this to be the case, because screen-printing for highway signs (or digital printing, for that matter) usually is best done with a light substrate and applying darker colors. 

even signs which are ostensibly light-on-dark contrast, like an interstate shield or a STOP sign, start out as white blanks and have inverse features added.

but yes, you are correct that black is the one opaque foreground color in regular use: the rest are all translucent, to allow the reflectivity through.  thus my question: are there any non-reflective signs being currently made out there? 
I think you mean, "for highway use." No.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on April 17, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

right.  I figured that was the universe of discourse.

does the current MUTCD provide either of the following?
1) certain signs not needing to be reflective or illuminated.  the 1961 MUTCD required all signs to be reflective or illuminated except certain parking signs.
2) the option for illuminated as opposed to reflective.  does anyone still do this??

I know that the definition of "reflective" was expanded to say "retroreflective both foreground and background, to have identical appearance during day and night" in the 2002 MUTCD.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 07:17:54 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 17, 2013, 07:09:31 PM

right.  I figured that was the universe of discourse.

1) certain signs not needing to be reflective or illuminated.  the 1961 MUTCD required all signs to be reflective or illuminated except certain parking signs.
2) the option for illuminated as opposed to reflective.  does anyone still do this??

I know that the definition of "reflective" was expanded to say "retroreflective both foreground and background, to have identical appearance during day and night" in the 2002 MUTCD.
Illuminated is certainly an option. And I forgot one class of signs that's non-reflective: backlit.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on April 17, 2013, 07:28:24 PM
Illuminated is certainly an option. And I forgot one class of signs that's non-reflective: backlit.

I think "backlit" is classified, for legal purposes, as "illuminated", no?  even though in the field they appear completely different.

is anyone still, in practice, making illuminated signs?

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 07:38:08 PM
Quote from: Steve on April 17, 2013, 07:28:24 PM

I think "backlit" is classified, for legal purposes, as "illuminated", no?  even though in the field they appear completely different.

is anyone still, in practice, making illuminated signs?
Cities are starting to use them more and more for street names...

Milepost61

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 07:17:54 PM

A lot of the signs around Denver International Airport, at least the original ones from when it opened in 1995, were non-reflective and had lights shining down on them from above. Some have been replaced with internally lit signs.

They also used an odd white-on-dark-brown scheme.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dia&ll=39.836058,-104.676104&spn=0.026923,0.055747&hq=dia&hnear=Denver,+Colorado&t=m&fll=39.827259,-104.713225&fspn=0.026795,0.055747&z=15&layer=c&cbll=39.836386,-104.676101&panoid=Hctl35aazfkSeoHfUfrLLQ&cbp=12,184.23,,0,1.45

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.