News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

"CHURCH" warning sign

Started by M3019C LPS20, May 16, 2013, 10:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

From time to time, I come across a warning sign that is simply labeled as "CHURCH." Although I find it as a rather strange warning for motorists, what is the actual intention?

I cannot necessarily figure it out, and I am also curious. Any thoughts?

Big John

My thinking it it to alert motorists that there might be heavy traffic/pedestrian activity ahead, particularly on Sunday

oldhippie

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 16, 2013, 10:48:44 PM
From time to time, I come across a warning sign that is simply labeled as "CHURCH." Although I find it as a rather strange warning for motorists, what is the actual intention?

I cannot necessarily figure it out, and I am also curious. Any thoughts?

around here that is usually to warn you that there is a church with drive way and
possibly pedestrian traffic

seicer

I'm noticing these signs less and less in Kentucky, thankfully.

Brian556

TxDOT used to post these. i don't know if they don't do it anymore, or just do it based on request. There are two large churches around here that have driveways on state highways (FM roads) at which cops direct traffic every Sunday, and they don't have CHURCH signs.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on May 16, 2013, 11:13:33 PM
I'm noticing these signs less and less in Kentucky, thankfully.

Why "thankfully?" Shouldn't a DOT caution motorists of possible hazards from turning traffic or pedestrians?

What's the difference between a "Church" sign and a "Truck Crossing" sign?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

If there are warning signs which say "CHURCH," why not "MOSQUE" or "SYNAGOGUE"?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

It's a nice, brief way of saying "There's going to be a lot of old, Sunday drivers in the area that can barely see over the steering wheel, much less have any comprehension of what road they are on, and they probably will be going 30 mph under the speed limit, even on roadways with a 25 mph limit".  Since that won't fit into a road sign, they abbreviate it to 'Church'.

1995hoo

I saw those signs on rural roads in Florida, seemingly at random because some churches had them and some didn't. I wondered if they were intended to serve as warnings that you may encounter more parked cars on the shoulder and things like funeral processions–in other words, a sudden uptick in traffic that you otherwise might not expect on a rural road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Or it could be that the signs are installed in places where there have been wrecks involving traffic entering or exiting the church parking lot. Much like "Deer Crossing" signs are installed where there have been instances of deer being hit by vehicles.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brian556

Qoute from 1995hoo:
QuoteI saw those signs on rural roads in Florida, seemingly at random because some churches had them and some didn't. I wondered if they were intended to serve as warnings that you may encounter more parked cars on the shoulder and things like funeral processions–in other words, a sudden uptick in traffic that you otherwise might not expect on a rural road.

This may be halfway off topic, but does Florida have a lot of churches?  It seems like there are less there than in TX or TN.

Back on subject, similar in concept, how bout this CONGESTED AREA sign on a very non congested rural US highway that has been bypassed by the interstate. This sign is to warn of a popular catfish resteraunt
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=35.03955,-85.479459&spn=0.000009,0.006266&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=35.039461,-85.479405&panoid=NoIqlZmo1JpJfK7cwdJ_7w&cbp=12,332.63,,0,0

jwolfer

Quote from: Brian556 on May 17, 2013, 10:32:01 AM
Qoute from 1995hoo:
QuoteI saw those signs on rural roads in Florida, seemingly at random because some churches had them and some didn't. I wondered if they were intended to serve as warnings that you may encounter more parked cars on the shoulder and things like funeral processions—in other words, a sudden uptick in traffic that you otherwise might not expect on a rural road.

This may be halfway off topic, but does Florida have a lot of churches?  It seems like there are less there than in TX or TN.

Back on subject, similar in concept, how bout this CONGESTED AREA sign on a very non congested rural US highway that has been bypassed by the interstate. This sign is to warn of a popular catfish resteraunt
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=35.03955,-85.479459&spn=0.000009,0.006266&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=35.039461,-85.479405&panoid=NoIqlZmo1JpJfK7cwdJ_7w&cbp=12,332.63,,0,0

North Florida is the Bible Belt... Lots of Churches in the Panhandle and around Jacksonville

PHLBOS

I've seen similar CHURCH warning signs in southeastern PA (Delaware County). 

One's along Wayne Ave., north of US 30, alerting motorists of Church of the Savior in Wayne.  Note: there's a lot of activity that takes place at that church (which looks more like a small college campus of sorts) beyond just Sunday mornings.

The other one I saw was along Providence Road in Edgmont, Twp. just south of PA 3 (West Chester Pike) alerting motorists of St. Sharbel Maronite Church.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jwolfer

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 17, 2013, 01:23:38 AM
If there are warning signs which say "CHURCH," why not "MOSQUE" or "SYNAGOGUE"?

The US is predominantly Christian.  In a heavily Jewish area like Lakewood NJ, you might see a SYNAGOGUE  sign, or a heavily Muslim area you might see MOSQUE.  If the concern is a highway dept or DOT establishing religion ...that is a bit too much phobia of Christians. Its not like the sign says "CHURCH AHEAD YOU HAVE TO TURN IN DO AN ALTAR CALL AND ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR AND IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL BE ARRESTED."

If one wanted to be completely PC there could be a sign saying RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION.  But this line of thinking is like homeschoolers getting their panties in a wad over SCHOOL ZONE  signs. Specifying the religion would give a clue about which day(s) to be careful.  Here in the Bible Belt... you have to look out for church people not only on Sunday but on Wednesday night.  Kids don't have soccer practice etc because of Wednesday night services

J N Winkler

Quote from: jwolfer on May 17, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 17, 2013, 01:23:38 AMIf there are warning signs which say "CHURCH," why not "MOSQUE" or "SYNAGOGUE"?

The US is predominantly Christian.  In a heavily Jewish area like Lakewood NJ, you might see a SYNAGOGUE  sign, or a heavily Muslim area you might see MOSQUE.

Are any such signs in fact posted?

QuoteIf the concern is a highway dept or DOT establishing religion ...that is a bit too much phobia of Christians. Its not like the sign says "CHURCH AHEAD YOU HAVE TO TURN IN DO AN ALTAR CALL AND ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR AND IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL BE ARRESTED."

I recognize that the intent behind posting these signs is normally not to promote an established religion or even the act of religious worship.  However, it is not self-evident from these signs how the presence (or otherwise) of a church is relevant to traffic using the road.  Also, while the federal MUTCD allows state DOTs and local agencies complete flexibility in devising word-message signs to fit a given situation, many state MUTCDs do not, so in those states "CHURCH" is the only off-the-shelf option for religious institutions which generate significant foot and automobile traffic, such as temples, synagogues, or mosques.  That disparity looks a lot like official endorsement of Christianity.

It would be much better to warn drivers directly of the potential traffic problem--through sign messages like "CONGESTED AREA," "HEAVY PEDESTRIAN ACTIVITY," etc. (all of which have been used in various places)--than to step into a First Amendment minefield with "CHURCH."

QuoteIf one wanted to be completely PC there could be a sign saying RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION.  But this line of thinking is like homeschoolers getting their panties in a wad over SCHOOL ZONE  signs. Specifying the religion would give a clue about which day(s) to be careful.  Here in the Bible Belt... you have to look out for church people not only on Sunday but on Wednesday night.  Kids don't have soccer practice etc because of Wednesday night services

Regarding getting one's panties in a wad, I think it should be unlawful to have Election Day polling places in churches or other religious institutions.

I see your point about the heavy foot/automobile traffic around churches (and for that matter synagogues) being concentrated on particular days of the week, but on the other hand it could be problematic to create an expectation that there will be no traffic except on the weekday(s) of regular worship.  Many religions have feast days and days of obligation (to borrow a Catholic term) which fall outside the regular calendar--e.g. Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Eid, Yom Kippur, . . .
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jwolfer

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 17, 2013, 02:57:36 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on May 17, 2013, 02:16:33 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on May 17, 2013, 01:23:38 AMIf there are warning signs which say "CHURCH," why not "MOSQUE" or "SYNAGOGUE"?

The US is predominantly Christian.  In a heavily Jewish area like Lakewood NJ, you might see a SYNAGOGUE  sign, or a heavily Muslim area you might see MOSQUE.

Are any such signs in fact posted?

QuoteIf the concern is a highway dept or DOT establishing religion ...that is a bit too much phobia of Christians. Its not like the sign says "CHURCH AHEAD YOU HAVE TO TURN IN DO AN ALTAR CALL AND ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR AND IF YOU DON'T YOU WILL BE ARRESTED."

I recognize that the intent behind posting these signs is normally not to promote an established religion or even the act of religious worship.  However, it is not self-evident from these signs how the presence (or otherwise) of a church is relevant to traffic using the road.  Also, while the federal MUTCD allows state DOTs and local agencies complete flexibility in devising word-message signs to fit a given situation, many state MUTCDs do not, so in those states "CHURCH" is the only off-the-shelf option for religious institutions which generate significant foot and automobile traffic, such as temples, synagogues, or mosques.  That disparity looks a lot like official endorsement of Christianity.

It would be much better to warn drivers directly of the potential traffic problem--through sign messages like "CONGESTED AREA," "HEAVY PEDESTRIAN ACTIVITY," etc. (all of which have been used in various places)--than to step into a First Amendment minefield with "CHURCH."

QuoteIf one wanted to be completely PC there could be a sign saying RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION.  But this line of thinking is like homeschoolers getting their panties in a wad over SCHOOL ZONE  signs. Specifying the religion would give a clue about which day(s) to be careful.  Here in the Bible Belt... you have to look out for church people not only on Sunday but on Wednesday night.  Kids don't have soccer practice etc because of Wednesday night services

Regarding getting one's panties in a wad, I think it should be unlawful to have Election Day polling places in churches or other religious institutions.

I see your point about the heavy foot/automobile traffic around churches (and for that matter synagogues) being concentrated on particular days of the week, but on the other hand it could be problematic to create an expectation that there will be no traffic except on the weekday(s) of regular worship.  Many religions have feast days and days of obligation (to borrow a Catholic term) which fall outside the regular calendar--e.g. Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Eid, Yom Kippur, . . .

In Duval County they used to have polling places in the schools my polling place was at a campus of the community college auditorium but it was moved to a Methodist Church.   The school board did not like the disruptions to the school day  and then there was the issue of lots of strangers around the school campus.  Now polling places are usually church meeting rooms, libraries or community centers.  Early voting sites are the Supervisor of Elections office or Libraries

.. Churches usually have a parish hall or some other large room that can accommodate lots of people with ample parking and usually not being used on election day... I don't think that just stepping into a church( or any other religious building) owned building is going to make someone feel that they have to be a particular religion. However I think the supervisor of elections opts for a library before a church.

I just googled "polling places at synagogue"  lots of stories that mention voting at synagogues and even mosques.  I would not feel compelled to convert to Judaism is my polling place were at a Jewish Temple.  I didn't feel compelled to become a Baptist because I happened to vote at a Baptist Church. 

Some of the larger churches will have a Police Officer directing traffic at the entrance to the church.  "CHURCH" also would imply there may be an office directing traffic more than "CONGESTED AREA"  I worked at an office near a large Mosque and on Fridays they had a Jacksonville Sheriffs Officer directing traffic, I don't that to mean that the JSO favors Muslims over any other religion.

It seems to me "CHURCH" signs are used sort of like "HIDDEN OR BLIND DRIVEWAY" signs.  In the county I live in I have seen them on rural roads with 55-60 MPH speed limits.  Or where the church is not visible or not near a traffic light.  By no means is there a sign near every church

M3019C LPS20

I now seem to have a clearer understanding of its actual intention, since I sometimes see temporary congestion near and at churches on certain days of the week. These churches that I am aware of are located alongside 45-50 M.P.H. roads. Makes sense.

With regards to other names for houses of worship, I never came across warning signs that read such as "MOSQUE" or "SYNAGOGUE." Only "CHURCH."

kphoger

Has anyone seen any newly erected CHURCH warning signs?  My suspicion is that the real answer to the question is that the vast majority of them were put up before the world went all PC crazy.  Similarly, they signs are also typically found in rural areas, where other religions have not spread as quickly as in urban areas.  (Maybe this is just my experience, but I've never seen a CHURCH sign in a large city.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

deathtopumpkins

There's a fair number of "CHURCH" signs around eastern Mass, including in urban areas. I can't think of any newly installed ones though.

I kind of agree with J N Winkler though. If a busy church has lots of traffic turning in and out, or lots of pedestrians crossing the street, then put up a pedestrians sign and a "WATCH FOR TURNING TRAFFIC" sign, both of which are standard, at least here in MA. No need to specify that it's a church, since there is no hazard specific to a church, like there is to a school/playground, fire station, or area with deer.

As a side note, I think these "CHURCH" signs are from a bygone era with a different set of standard signs. All the ones here seem to be a similar vintage to "CHILDREN" and old text signs that have since been replaced with symbols, like intersection or stop ahead or "THICKLY SETTLED"
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

cpzilliacus

I don't think I have ever seen a "CHURCH" sign in Maryland or Virginia or D.C. (or, for that matter, a "SYNAGOGUE" or "MOSQUE" or "TEMPLE" or "KINGDOM HALL" sign). 

The "SYNAGOGUE" sign would seem to me to be especially important and even warranted (in the context of an MUTCD warrant) near those congregations where all or most of the members walk to services on the Sabbath and on other Jewish holidays.

Sometimes the traffic in and out of the LDS temple not so far from where I grew up in Kensington, Maryland can seem pretty heavy (and the entrance to it is on a relatively minor street with on a somewhat steeply sloping hill (GSV here)), so perhaps there should be a "TEMPLE" sign there?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SP Cook

I can see the point of a "CHURCH" sign, it in no was establishes a religion, any more than a "MALL" sign establishes a retail establishment or a "GOLF COURSE" sign establishes a sport.  After all the church was there before the sign.

FWIW, Pennsylvania has a liscense plate for "CHURCH BUS", which I suppose are taxed differently.  I have seen them on buses belonging to groups that do not call their places of worship a "church".  The sun came up the next day anyway.

Somebody mentioned voting.  In my state, we have way too many precincts, because they want people to not have to travel very far.  School is always out for elections and the county prefers to use schools (which, of course, they already own, so they don't have to pay rent), but we have had a (tremendious idea, IMHO) exteme round of school consolidations and they have thus been using churches, along with firehouses, community buildings, and even motels.   Part of the contract is that they have to cover up any political statements that the church might post.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SP Cook on May 18, 2013, 07:08:47 AM
I can see the point of a "CHURCH" sign, it in no was establishes a religion, any more than a "MALL" sign establishes a retail establishment or a "GOLF COURSE" sign establishes a sport.  After all the church was there before the sign.

But those aren't standard signs. Church is/was.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SP Cook

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 18, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

But those aren't standard signs. Church is/was.

MUTCD W11-11

MUTCD W15-1

sp_redelectric

I'm surprised the "Freedom from Religion" group hasn't done an all-out assualt on the various "Church Streets".  How many "Synagoge Street" or "Mosque Street" are there?

(And I'm an athiest, but this P.C. crap is going bonkers.)

When I grew up in McMinnville, Oregon the city did a pretty good job of signing churches on the main streets (Oregon 99W, Adams and Baker Streets) with blue signs.  However a recent tour on Streetview looks like many of those signs have been taken down (it looks like ODOT has gone through and replaced all of the city signs with state signs, too...)

But church warning signs?  Can't say I've seen them around here...

thenetwork

The only place I can recall seeing CHURCH signs was in Ohio -- the same state I also last saw THEATRE ENTRANCE for a now-defunct Drive-In Theater in Akron.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.