News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The neighborhood I grew up in that was demolished for I-279

Started by ARMOURERERIC, May 21, 2013, 09:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

On the city data forum for Pittsburgh, there was a recent post about a revamped Ross Township Historical Society facebook page.  There is a alum with 60 photos from the construction of McKnoght Road, 1940-1946.  One pic has a photo of the neighborhood I grew up in from 1946.  We lived along the ridgeline on the right in the house with the 2 storey gable over the entrance.  The home was built in 1938, demolished in 1977 along with all the other homes in the picture.

Back in the 70's the plan was to preserve the existing McKnoght Road bridge that was only in it's 20's in age.  To do so, the ramp from McKnight south to 279 was to take a much wider swing to the west and cross under Ivory Ave via it's own shorter bridge.  This plan was dropped when the HOV lanes came into being.  I am very certain that the current plan would have spared most of the homes in the picture.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/335649016485767/photos#!/photo.php?fbid=10150593893939141&set=oa.335771596473509&type=1&theater

Mr_Northside

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.