News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Brown number signs

Started by DSS5, June 12, 2013, 04:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSS5

rarnold

They probably measure 1/10ths of a mile.

agentsteel53

the last "0" is on the same post as an END CONSTRUCTION sign, so maybe it was some guide to the road workers?

it may or may not be a coincidence that each gap between numbers is three lane stripes long, by my eyeballing.  so, 120 feet?  (unless my knowledge of interstate lane striping is incorrect.  10-30-10-30..., correct?)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DSS5

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 12, 2013, 04:35:14 PM
the last "0" is on the same post as an END CONSTRUCTION sign, so maybe it was some guide to the road workers?

it may or may not be a coincidence that each gap between numbers is three lane stripes long, by my eyeballing.  so, 120 feet?  (unless my knowledge of interstate lane striping is incorrect.  10-30-10-30..., correct?)

Nothing to do with the construction. That image is from August 2011. I drove by there last week, the road work and related signs are long gone.

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

Mapmikey

They are almost certainly related to the rehab of the bridge which looks recent in the 2011 GMSV.  Notice that they also have a set of 0-9 twice facing backward on the same side of I-40 east of the bridge.  They are distance-related points (20 in each direction) from the mid point of the bridge it appears.

Mapmikey

hbelkins

Those signs have been up for years and years. Seems like I heard somewhere that they are weather-related, since that area is subject to heavy fog.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

Those sort of remind me of the large white-on-black number signs one sees along an airport runway.  The numeral (X) represents X000 feet to the end of the runway.  In the case of the runway, the numbers decrease as a plane travels along a runway (in both take-offs and landings).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

HazMatt

There's a joke that the signs are to teach us North Carolinians how to count before we get to Tennessee.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2013, 12:42:47 PM
Those signs have been up for years and years. Seems like I heard somewhere that they are weather-related, since that area is subject to heavy fog.
Sounds like a maintenance reference, then, or state police - determine visibility based on number of signs you can see ahead. The NJ Turnpike Authority does this with just plain skip lines to decide how low to run the speed limit on a foggy day or whether to close the road entirely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.