News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bicycle lane paint too bright, says 'Hollywood'

Started by mgk920, June 19, 2013, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

NE2

Dog bites man, and news story comments are dumb.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

doesn't the MPAA have better things to do, like censor movies?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

I'd be more concerned about the lack of traction for bicycles in wet weather on the paint.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

seicer

That was my concern too, when the thermoplastic was applied up here in Cincinnati. But the city installed grit over the thermoplastic and it's not slick in the rain.

sdmichael

I say screw the movies if they can't deal with it. There are other streets. Mind you, I know it is a big industry in Los Angeles, but people actually live there too. It isn't their private back lot. As such, Making Los Angeles into the city it wants to become vs what it used to be or is perceived to be should trump any film industry needs.

KEK Inc.

If it's a big deal, they can easily edit the green out on Final Cut Pro or whatever they use.

I don't think the city will comply against MUTCD standards for a movie.
Take the road less traveled.

theline

jeffandnicole

Quite funny that an industry that spends tens of millions on special effects per movie can't find a way to edit out painted pavement.

Having said that, bike lanes don't need to be painted.  And if the area is historic, it's historic partly due to the movie industry.  The city (or whoever is in charge of that) needs to realize that as well.  And I'm sure the movie companies pay to 'rent' the area, bringing in the money that ultimately funds the improvements to the area.

agentsteel53

Quote from: KEK Inc. on June 19, 2013, 07:59:36 PM
I don't think the city will comply against MUTCD standards for a movie.

really?  the bright green is an MUTCD standard?

I like it; I've never noticed any traction issues.  I thought it was just a few jurisdictions playing around with it - I'd be happy if it were an actual federal standard.

jake@aaroads.com

seicer

I think quite a few. It is similar to the evolution and eventual adoption of sharrows by the FHWA. The use of sharrows had been adopted by other municipalities and states beforehand and evaluated before being formally adopted.

The use of green paint for bike lanes and conflict areas received interm approval in April 2011.
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/interim_approval/ia14/ia14grnpmbiketlanes.pdf

agentsteel53

as much as I like the concept of a 'sharrow', the name is gratingly bad.

also, lots of standards are developed by jurisdictions other than FHWA or AASHO.  in fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of one that was developed by FHWA and AASHO, apart from the 1926 US route shield and the 1957 interstate shield.  nearly everything was tried by a state, found to be useful, and adopted for nationwide use.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 20, 2013, 01:11:57 PM
as much as I like the concept of a 'sharrow', the name is gratingly bad.
Sharon Osbourne as a small, annoying bird? (Yes, that's redundant.)

sdmichael

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2013, 09:00:40 AM
Quite funny that an industry that spends tens of millions on special effects per movie can't find a way to edit out painted pavement.

Having said that, bike lanes don't need to be painted.  And if the area is historic, it's historic partly due to the movie industry.  The city (or whoever is in charge of that) needs to realize that as well.  And I'm sure the movie companies pay to 'rent' the area, bringing in the money that ultimately funds the improvements to the area.

Their money doesn't buy them the rights to the "what and how" for improvements to that area. They may think that, but it isn't the case. This particular area, Spring Street, is historic because of the structures there, it has nothing to do with the movie industry. If they want full control of an area, they have their own backlots and CGI to fill in the gap.

thenetwork

You mean to say that Hollywood's CGI people who digitally add/delete images from movie scenes cannot digitally delete nor alter bike lanes from their shots???

Someone better get TMZ on the scene.

empirestate

Quote from: KEK Inc. on June 19, 2013, 07:59:36 PM
If it's a big deal, they can easily edit the green out on Final Cut Pro or whatever they use.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 20, 2013, 09:00:40 AM

Quote from: thenetwork on July 15, 2013, 09:20:13 AM
You mean to say that Hollywood's CGI people who digitally add/delete images from movie scenes cannot digitally delete nor alter bike lanes from their shots???

Sounds to me from the article that it isn't the lane itself, but its effect on the lighting throughout the shot:
QuoteThe reflectivity -- it's so fluorescent-y that it bounces up into the lofts and the storefront interiors and the cars driving by.

That become a considerably greater undertaking than simply painting them out of a shot, which could probably be done easily by keying and replacing the green color, the same way they put a weather map behind a weatherman or a first-down line on a football field. But if you have to re-touch everything in the shot it gets more expensive, leaving less money to give the city in exchange for its filming rights. I'm not taking a side myself, but this, I'm sure, is the filmmakers' (or rather, their employees' unions) point of view.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.