News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

When was the last time either of the Dakotas designated a new highway?

Started by TCN7JM, July 02, 2013, 03:09:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

Quote from: brad2971 on October 10, 2013, 07:08:11 PM
And yet SDDOT, in 2015, is planning on spending $36-40 million dollars on two new SPUIs at locations (I-190 Exit 1 and I-90 Exit 14) in which current traffic counts come nowhere close to justifying SPUIs (and likely never will, in the case of I-190 Exit 1). In both instances, the commenting public was presented with options that were significantly deemed acceptable by them that would have cost $5 for each interchange. But some folks in SDDOT can't bear the thought of making I-190 a surface street (current traffic counts easily justify this), and some folks have this weird attitude against roundabouts in Spearfish.

I disagree.

The exit 14 project idea floated around in 2009, and it NEEDS A SPUI!!!! Trust me, I live there. You haven't seen that during the rally. We can't put the roundabouts in because they just repaved that stretch of 14A and the asphalt needs to live out its lifespan (and no one would know how to drive them anyway). I-190 a surface street? What????? Exit 1C is just a mess.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TCN7JM

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 10, 2013, 10:53:30 PM
I-190 a surface street? What????? Exit 1C is just a mess.

I drove I-190 when I was in Rapid City in July and it seems like it might be better if they made it a surface street like I-180 in Wyoming. The freeway wasn't that heavily traveled...
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

SD Mapman

How?
It already has frontage roads and is sunk below North Rapid (which no one wants to see anyway).
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

TCN7JM

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 10, 2013, 11:10:31 PM
How?
It already has frontage roads and is sunk below North Rapid (which no one wants to see anyway).

I don't know. Maybe it gets clogged up during rush hour or during different times of the year, but I didn't see many cars on the freeway (I only drove it once on a Friday at about 1 PM).

It's almost certainly less congested than I-229 here. During rush hours, one of the exits is so bad that SDDOT is conducting a corridor study to redesign it.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

SD Mapman

Quote from: TCN7JM on October 11, 2013, 08:10:37 AM
I don't know. Maybe it gets clogged up during rush hour or during different times of the year, but I didn't see many cars on the freeway
That big building on the left is one of the largest high schools in the state.
Quote from: TCN7JM on October 11, 2013, 08:10:37 AM
It's almost certainly less congested than I-229 here. During rush hours, one of the exits is so bad that SDDOT is conducting a corridor study to redesign it.

Which one? The one with 115 (4, I think)? Or am I just completely off base?

TCN7JM

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 11, 2013, 09:24:37 AM
Which one? The one with 115 (4, I think)? Or am I just completely off base?

SD 115/Minnesota Avenue is actually exit 3, but I digress. The exit they need to fix is exit 5 with 26th Street. The exit ramp northbound gets backed up all the way to the Interstate seemingly every day at rush hour, and it's a pretty long exit ramp. Not helping is the fact that 26th Street will get backed up for blocks and blocks.

Counties

SD Mapman

Quote from: TCN7JM on October 11, 2013, 04:03:52 PM
Not helping is the fact that 26th Street will get backed up for blocks and blocks.
Sounds like Exit 14 during the Rally! But worse!

M86

Quote from: brad2971 on October 10, 2013, 07:08:11 PM
Typical long wait for state projects...

And yet SDDOT, in 2015, is planning on spending $36-40 million dollars on two new SPUIs at locations (I-190 Exit 1 and I-90 Exit 14) in which current traffic counts come nowhere close to justifying SPUIs (and likely never will, in the case of I-190 Exit 1). In both instances, the commenting public was presented with options that were significantly deemed acceptable by them that would have cost $5 for each interchange. But some folks in SDDOT can't bear the thought of making I-190 a surface street (current traffic counts easily justify this), and some folks have this weird attitude against roundabouts in Spearfish.

Typical long wait for state projects...

I can't shake the feeling that you're with an engineering firm used by SDDOT.  I know they used engineering firms in Denver.  Hey, if I'm wrong, call me out.

Also, SDDOT isn't really hemorrhaging money, compared to other states.  SD 100 isn't critical, but will be needed in the future.  I give SDDOT kudos to implement interchanges that make sense and will in the future.  I wish I could say the same about the state I live in now.

And, if you are with an engineering firm that was hired by SDDOT, I really hope they do not hire your organization again.

Edit:  Yeah, the interchange justification report on SDDOT.com for Exit 14 in Spearfish confirms what I thought.  At least they're planning for the very far future.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on October 12, 2013, 03:07:01 AM
I give SDDOT kudos to implement interchanges that make sense and will in the future.
Thank you (even though I am not associated with DOT whatsoever)! Ever since Wal-Mart moved out to Exit 14 (2005), congestion has been rabid.

TCN7JM

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 12, 2013, 05:11:42 PM
Ever since Wal-Mart moved out to Exit 14 (2005), congestion has been rabid.
Not sure if you've heard about this or not, but there's a possibility for similar stuff to go on in Sioux Falls that would definitely increase traffic on SD 38 and SD 115 in Sioux Falls. Walmart wants one location at N 60th Street (SD 38) and Marion Road, and another at Minnesota Avenue (SD 115) and 85th Street. This would raise the grand total for Walmarts in Sioux Falls to four...

Counties

SD Mapman

Quote from: TCN7JM on October 12, 2013, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on October 12, 2013, 05:11:42 PM
Ever since Wal-Mart moved out to Exit 14 (2005), congestion has been rabid.
Not sure if you've heard about this or not, but there's a possibility for similar stuff to go on in Sioux Falls that would definitely increase traffic on SD 38 and SD 115 in Sioux Falls. Walmart wants one location at N 60th Street (SD 38) and Marion Road, and another at Minnesota Avenue (SD 115) and 85th Street. This would raise the grand total for Walmarts in Sioux Falls to four...
Yeah, I have... Why the heck would they want one by the University Center? There's nothing out there!

TCN7JM

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 13, 2013, 12:46:19 AM
There's nothing out there!
Not in the immediate vicinity but, similar to how the one on the eastern edge of the city is mainly used by residents of Brandon, this one is expected to be used by residents of Hartford.

Counties

SD Mapman

andy3175

For what it's worth, here's a list of South Dakota's officially designated state highways from its codified laws (Chapter 31-4, State Trunk Highway System). Each statute contains the effective date or last revision date for each listed highway. Note that some designated routes such as overlaps between two routes and certain business routes aren't listed here but are still signed when concurrent with something else. The most surprising route in my review of this list is South Dakota 248, an unsigned state route that follows Old U.S. 16 east of the Badlands area for 100+ miles!

http://legis.state.sd.us/statutes/DisplayStatute.aspx?Statute=31-4&Type=Statute

Regards,
Andy

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

I posted that... in another forum earlier in this forum. One of the statutes listed gives the DOT authority to extend signage even where the highway is not. The business loop thing is because they turned them over to the cities. BTW, that's not surprising as the street signs list the road as "SD 248" in places.

andy3175

Quote from: SD Mapman on October 15, 2013, 04:05:37 PM
I posted that... in another forum earlier in this forum. One of the statutes listed gives the DOT authority to extend signage even where the highway is not. The business loop thing is because they turned them over to the cities. BTW, that's not surprising as the street signs list the road as "SD 248" in places.

Thanks! Missed that.

Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

SD Mapman

SD has stripped a lot of designations lately... as evidenced by the [deleted] lines on the statute page.

TCN7JM

I don't think they were that recently. There were a lot of smaller routes that seem to have disappeared sometime in the 70s or 80s, according to the few maps I have.

Counties

SD Mapman

Just based off the last time I looked in the spring, and then looked last week, they removed a bunch of pointless unsigned 3-di's... but the last real decomission was probably in the 70's. Although, do you know when SD 134 went away?

TCN7JM

Counties

SD Mapman

Yeah, because I remember looking on street view in that area and in Brown County, you could see signs. When you crossed the county line, though, they went away.

Alex

Quote from: TCN7JM on October 18, 2013, 02:06:05 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on October 18, 2013, 12:07:00 AM
Although, do you know when SD 134 went away?
Must be pretty recently, Google Maps says it still exists:-D
I have no clue on the exact date, though.

Google maps is notorious for showing dead alignments as still active.

TCN7JM

Quote from: Alex on October 18, 2013, 03:15:01 PM
Quote from: TCN7JM on October 18, 2013, 02:06:05 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on October 18, 2013, 12:07:00 AM
Although, do you know when SD 134 went away?
Must be pretty recently, Google Maps says it still exists:-D
I have no clue on the exact date, though.

Google maps is notorious for showing dead alignments as still active.
Yeah, I know. I've already reported a couple to GMaps and most of the time, they get fixed. However, no matter how many times I report it, they insist SD 11 overlaps SD 48 and I-29 en route to SD 50 and Elk Point when, in reality, it exists in two segments: one from the Minnesota state line south to SD 48 and a shorter one from SD 50 to Elk Point.

Counties

SD Mapman

You know, according to SD law, they(DOT) could extend the signage through the gap. It could happen...

M86

Some of my beef with SD 100 is the lack of signage.  Signage like the "Next Signal" signage I see in Missouri would be great.

And why they decided to keep Arrowhead Parkway (SD 42) & future SD 100 (current SD 11/Powder House Road) as an at grade intersection...  Big flop.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.