News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Drug Free School Zone

Started by _Simon, July 16, 2013, 12:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on July 17, 2013, 02:58:42 PM
I'm sure I've seen one of those in Connecticut.

EDIT: Okay, it's actually a little different. http://www.flickr.com/photos/13137334@N06/7688327406/

I believe the specific sign in the OP is an NJ spec. But yes, Connecticut does have plenty of signs that say "drug free school zone" in black FHWA text on white background, similar to the one you posted.

As for the question of where the zone ends, it ends nowhere and doesn't begin anywhere either. The sign has no legal meaning, it's just an attempt to prod would be scofflaws into following the law in that particular area by suggesting that it is more heavily watched, kind of like putting "strictly enforced" under a speed limit sign.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kphoger

Quote from: _Simon on July 16, 2013, 12:16:09 AM

I used to see these everywhere in New Jersey, but in talking with a few people, I can't find anyone who acknowledges their existence. 
1.  Were these nationwide?  Even the version in DelDOT's MUTCD is a different design than this.   
2.  When does the drug-free school zone end? There were never any "end" signs.
3.  What's with the font and color?  For a relatively standardized sign (even the yellow variants use that font) it has a very erratic font.

I have never seen a sign like that before.  Maybe I've seen them with black on yellow in a more normal-looking font, but certainly never that hideous sign o' nastiness.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

The original law came about in 1987, so the font used was probably something more typical of the era back then.  And there's nothing in the NJ law books (at least at quick glance) regarding the use or placement of those signs, so it's not like anyone reviewed a MUTCD manual in creating the sign.

jwolfer

Quote from: NE2 on July 16, 2013, 01:41:53 AM
If you want to be a hipster, put an energy drink sticker on it.

Lots of them were stolen I am sure and on dorm walls along with Route 420 signs and "Zero drug tolerance" signs that were popular in rural North Florida 20 years ago.  The irony of smoking a bong under a drug free school zone sign in an on campus dorm is just too good

jwolfer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2013, 01:11:40 PM
pushers are the purest form of capitalists. 

cpzilliacus - LSD is fairly harmless.  it's meth that I'd be the least likely to legalize.  LSD just turns you useless for a half a day; meth makes you a sadistic piece of shit.

Meth became popular after there was a big crackdown on cocaine( pun intended.)  One of the biggest issues now is prescription pain killers being abused... its OK as long as you have a prescription, otherwise it scourge that need to be eliminated. 

Remember that heroine was formulated to get people off of opium.  Cocaine was in lots of stuff even tonics for colicky babies and famously Coca-Cola.  LSD is even being used now to help people with PTSD. 

Prohibition of alcohol gave rise to gangsters like Al Capone.  Prohibition of cocaine is the reason for the mess that is Mexico.  Countries such as the Netherlands where marijuana is legalized has lower rates of usage than we do in the US.

The drug war is just an excuse for government and police excess.  The USA has the highest percentage of the population in prison... and it is worse for minority communities .  Time to rethink the war on drugs. No one wants junkies around but neither do they want drunks....

agentsteel53

Quote from: jwolfer on July 18, 2013, 02:29:17 PMOne of the biggest issues now is prescription pain killers being abused... .

I've always thought of pill poppers as seeing such a stupid high.  alcohol can act as a social lubricant.  marijuana makes one feel mellow and introspective, while still maintaining conversational skills.  mushrooms and LSD are mind-expanding.  hell, even coke can be understood in the context of a nice upbeat party.

meth turns you into a raging asshole if you can't handle it, but I can see people wanting to do it just so they can get a lot of shit done without sleep.  fair enough.  you're an idiot who didn't do the math, but you sought a legitimate experience.

but, seriously, who wants to be a complete societal check-out and just retreat into a world of pills?  same thing with heroin.  fuck opiates.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: jwolfer on July 18, 2013, 02:29:17 PM
Cocaine was in lots of stuff even tonics for colicky babies and famously Coca-Cola.

Coca was in Coca-Cola.  Cocaine never was.

Prohibition of cocaine is the reason for the mess that is Mexico.

Not so much.  The "mess that is Mexico" started about five to seven years ago; it's not like cocaine was legal before that.  In fact, the Mexican government legalized small doses of cocaine and other drugs in 2009 (with a 53-26-1 vote). 
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Quote from: kphoger on July 18, 2013, 02:40:51 PM
Cocaine was in lots of stuff even tonics for colicky babies and famously Coca-Cola.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
QuoteHow much cocaine was in that "mere trace" is impossible to say, but we do know that by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup. Coca-Cola didn't become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there was scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on July 17, 2013, 12:05:57 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 16, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
Wait, are you telling me that this isn't all across the country? I'm so used to these that I'm oblivious to them not existing elsewhere.

I don't see that particular font in use everywhere. And I agree with the comment about it looking like something from out of the 70s.

See the link I posted earlier showing a more normal-looking font.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NJRoadfan

I just found a small sticker of this sign laying around the house. Maybe I should find one of those signs and stick it on next to the energy drink sticker.

_Simon

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 18, 2013, 10:10:30 PM
I just found a small sticker of this sign laying around the house. Maybe I should find one of those signs and stick it on next to the energy drink sticker.

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2013, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 18, 2013, 02:40:51 PM

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/cocaine.asp
QuoteHow much cocaine was in that "mere trace" is impossible to say, but we do know that by 1902 it was as little as 1/400 of a grain of cocaine per ounce of syrup. Coca-Cola didn't become completely cocaine-free until 1929, but there was scarcely any of the drug left in the drink by then:

That snopes seems to use "coca extract" and "cocaine" rather interchangeably.
Male pronouns, please.

ARMOURERERIC

I need some "School Free Drug zone" signs for Los Angeles

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2013, 02:32:53 PM
Quote from: jwolfer on July 18, 2013, 02:29:17 PMOne of the biggest issues now is prescription pain killers being abused... .

I've always thought of pill poppers as seeing such a stupid high.  alcohol can act as a social lubricant.  marijuana makes one feel mellow and introspective, while still maintaining conversational skills.  mushrooms and LSD are mind-expanding.  hell, even coke can be understood in the context of a nice upbeat party.

Opioids make me more talkative and better socially.  Alcohol does not have that effect on me.  It just makes me feel stupid and depressed.  Alcohol is the drug for the numb minded to make themselves even more numb.  It's sad that the two drugs that cause the most harm (nicotine and alcohol) are legal while must less harmful substances are not.

NE2

Religion's also strangely still legal.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

colinstu

Never seen a sign like that before in WI.

Have seen "Smoke Free School" or something to that affect... also "Gun Free" etc too.

But in Milwaukee these are fairly common...

leroys73

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 16, 2013, 12:08:02 PM
Like many states, it is state law in NJ that someone caught with/dealing drugs within 1,000 feet of a school is subjected to mandatory prison time, so almost every school district will have these signs.  In some cases (cities), since there was nearly no area within the city that was further than 1,000 feet from a school, the signs would read 'Drug Free City' or something like that.

The goal was to deter people from selling drugs to kids at/near schools.  The law's effectiveness and punishment has been questioned though. Some states have either done away with the law, or reduced the zone to a few hundred feet.

What about the kids inside the school dealing? When I taught I don't remember any being sent off to jail.  At most they would be sent to the alternative school so their business would be even better. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on July 19, 2013, 01:43:48 AM
Opioids make me more talkative and better socially.  Alcohol does not have that effect on me.  It just makes me feel stupid and depressed.  Alcohol is the drug for the numb minded to make themselves even more numb.  It's sad that the two drugs that cause the most harm (nicotine and alcohol) are legal while must less harmful substances are not.

huh.  you're the first person I've ever heard that from.  it's been generally the opposite in my experience, but we've all got our own biochemistry.

jake@aaroads.com

RoadWarrior56

I always thought the idea of the sign is absurd.  A drug free zone sign implies that drugs are permissible everywhere else.  I always thought there should be a sign leaving the school saying......RESUME SAFE DRUG USE.  BTW, the drug free school zone signs are all over GA.

agentsteel53

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 19, 2013, 12:20:12 PM
I always thought the idea of the sign is absurd.  A drug free zone sign implies that drugs are permissible everywhere else.  I always thought there should be a sign leaving the school saying......RESUME SAFE DRUG USE.  BTW, the drug free school zone signs are all over GA.

Alex might likely remember the photoshopped "BEGIN DANGER CORRIDOR" sign...

jake@aaroads.com

mgk920

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2013, 01:11:40 PM
pushers are the purest form of capitalists. 

cpzilliacus - LSD is fairly harmless.  it's meth that I'd be the least likely to legalize.  LSD just turns you useless for a half a day; meth makes you a sadistic piece of shit.

Meth became popular after there was a big crackdown on cocaine( pun intended.)  One of the biggest issues now is prescription pain killers being abused... its OK as long as you have a prescription, otherwise it scourge that need to be eliminated. 

Remember that heroine was formulated to get people off of opium.  Cocaine was in lots of stuff even tonics for colicky babies and famously Coca-Cola.  LSD is even being used now to help people with PTSD. 

Prohibition of alcohol gave rise to gangsters like Al Capone.  Prohibition of cocaine is the reason for the mess that is Mexico.  Countries such as the Netherlands where marijuana is legalized has lower rates of usage than we do in the US.

The drug war is just an excuse for government and police excess.  The USA has the highest percentage of the population in prison... and it is worse for minority communities .  Time to rethink the war on drugs. No one wants junkies around but neither do they want drunks....

As well as infringements on other basic freedoms:

-That special IRS reporting requirement when you deposit a lot of cash into or withdraw a lot of cash from a bank account (even if it is a commercial account depositing the daily receipts), as well as most of the other hassles of using cash?  Nearly 100% Drug War™ (the rest is attempts at income tax compliance and robbery prevention).

-Most laws restricting firearms in the USA?  They did not exist before the 18th Amendment and the 1920s gangster days and have only gotten worse with the Drug War™.  Example - you could buy a fully-automatic Thompson via mail-order, no questions asked, before the early 1930s (however, they were very expensive!).

-Those annoying checkpoints at both of the USA's land borders?  They did not exist before 1924 (18th Amendment days).

-That ongoing 'DWB' thing?  Drug War™.

-Etc.

:banghead:

Yes, I still see those silly 'Drug free school zone' signs here, too.  I nearly laugh every time I drive by one.  They're about as effective as the 'gun free city' thing in Chicago.

:rolleyes:

Mike

Alps

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on July 19, 2013, 12:20:12 PM
I've started to see DRUNK DRIVING FREE SCHOOL ZONE as a bastardization of this concept. If you want to drive drunk, do it on the freeway!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.