News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

Quote from: jgb191 on November 04, 2022, 01:40:56 AM
If it was your team, you'd be lauding them for that, but because it's the Astros that pulled it off, people just want to refuse to give them credit; I get it.

Please, if it were my team I'd want the manager's head for pulling the starter and denying them a chance at a legitimate no-hitter.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Ironically since the Astros won Game Five, history is against them the rest of the series....they now have the home-field DIS-advantage.  I am lamenting my Astros combined 3 wins and 12 losses in all of their World Series home games.  That has got to change if they want any hope to win it all; this series is still far from over.  Remember this is precisely where the Astros were in 2019:  up 3-2 coming home to Minute Maid Park only to be knocked out by the Washington Nationals; anything can (and probably will) happen.

But this year. the Astros have won a home World Series game. That's an improvement over the 2019 series, where the Astros and the Nats lost every one of their home games (the Nats won the 2019 series, since they had fewer home games).

This year, there have been enough nail-biters (like Game 5, and Game 1) that the Phillies could pull out wins in their remaining games in Houston.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

thspfc

Quote from: Duke87 on November 04, 2022, 12:44:46 AM
Quote from: jgb191 on November 03, 2022, 01:32:30 AM
I don't think I remember seeing the Phillies hit a single ball into fair territory in Game Four, then when I checked the final scoreboard, that confirmed what I suspected -- ZERO hits by the Phillies.  Simple equation: zero hits = zero hits.  Isn't baseball a team-effort sport, or have the rules changed to one-on-one all of the sudden?

A no-hitter traditionally was seen as an individual achievement by the pitcher, credited to the pitcher. Nolan Ryan (a player, not a team!) threw an all-time record of seven of them in his career. It therefore by nature required pitching a complete game to qualify. There's no such thing as throwing 5/9ths of a no-hitter, you either throw one or you don't.

What changed isn't the rules, it was game strategy. Now everyone fusses over pitch counts and often starting pitchers will get voluntarily pulled when they hit their predefined limit no matter what, denying them the opportunity to finish the game. So we've made up this concept of a "combined no-hitter" to compensate for the sacrilegious practice of pulling starting pitchers when they have a no-hitter going.
You're only 34, and still manage to be the THAT kind of baseball fan . . .

This is why the sport is declining . . .

gr8daynegb

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 04, 2022, 12:57:43 AM
I don't think I remember seeing the Phillies hit a single ball into fair territory in Game Four, then when I checked the final scoreboard, that confirmed what I suspected -- ZERO hits by the Phillies.  Simple equation: zero hits = zero hits.  Isn't baseball a team-effort sport, or have the rules changed to one-on-one all of the sudden?

A no-hitter traditionally was seen as an individual achievement by the pitcher, credited to the pitcher. Nolan Ryan (a player, not a team!) threw an all-time record of seven of them in his career. It therefore by nature required pitching a complete game to qualify. There's no such thing as throwing 5/9ths of a no-hitter, you either throw one or you don't.

What changed isn't the rules, it was game strategy. Now everyone fusses over pitch counts and often starting pitchers will get voluntarily pulled when they hit their predefined limit no matter what, denying them the opportunity to finish the game. So we've made up this concept of a "combined no-hitter" to compensate for the sacrilegious practice of pulling starting pitchers when they have a no-hitter going.

Combined no-hitters have always been a thing.

https://www.nonohitters.com/combined-no-hitters/

Granted, they have occurred much more often in the past 20 years than they did the previous 100, but they're still valid.  Pitchers also throw much harder than they did in the past.  Hitting 100 mph on the radar gun almost never happened.  Now it's happened almost every game in the playoffs.

Agreed.....it's just that combine no hitters of 15+ years ago for the most part was starter goes 8 innings, closer finishes.  Now we get 4, 5, 6+ pitcher no hitters that make the accomplishment lose its luster.....along with the fact no hitters have become more common as hitters aren't concerned about their high strikeout numbers compared to older generations
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on November 04, 2022, 07:51:25 AM

You're only 34, and still manage to be the THAT kind of baseball fan . . .

This garbage is why the sport is declining . . .
Do not call other users garbage. Ever. Warning issued. Also you're wrong. Sports fans no longer caring about purity is why.

jgb191

Quote from: oscar on November 04, 2022, 05:52:40 AM
Ironically since the Astros won Game Five, history is against them the rest of the series....they now have the home-field DIS-advantage.  I am lamenting my Astros combined 3 wins and 12 losses in all of their World Series home games.  That has got to change if they want any hope to win it all; this series is still far from over.  Remember this is precisely where the Astros were in 2019:  up 3-2 coming home to Minute Maid Park only to be knocked out by the Washington Nationals; anything can (and probably will) happen.

But this year. the Astros have won a home World Series game. That's an improvement over the 2019 series, where the Astros and the Nats lost every one of their home games (the Nats won the 2019 series, since they had fewer home games).

This year, there have been enough nail-biters (like Game 5, and Game 1) that the Phillies could pull out wins in their remaining games in Houston.

The Astros won a home game last year vs the Braves, so let's see if they can strive for two home wins this fall....anyway they have no choice but to win another home game to win it all....the seemingly "comfort" of being on the road is gone for the season.  Historically, all the World Series the Astros have been in was celebrated by the visitors.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

CoreySamson

Quote from: Duke87 on November 04, 2022, 02:02:42 AM
If it was your team, you'd be lauding them for that, but because it's the Astros that pulled it off, people just want to refuse to give them credit; I get it.

Please, if it were my team I'd want the manager's head for pulling the starter and denying them a chance at a legitimate no-hitter.
I actually think Dusty made the right call removing Javier from the game. Doing so allows the Astros to use him for a Game 7 appearance if necessary.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 05, 2022, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on November 04, 2022, 02:02:42 AM

I actually think Dusty made the right call removing Javier from the game. Doing so allows the Astros to use him for a Game 7 appearance if necessary.
Nah. He should've gambled the series, made a decision that was not in the team's best interest. Unwritten made up rules > trying to win the World Series.

Hunty2022

Yordan Alvarez 3 RUN HOME RUN!!!

Astros winning 3-1
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

therocket

Astros won the World Series :(

Hunty2022

Houston Astros WON THE WORLD SERIES!!!!
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Bruce

Philadelphia seems to be the first city to lose two major league championships on the same day. Tough for them.

jgb191

I think Dusty Baker Jr. has found a permanent home here in Houston.  The underlying theme in this year's World Series was to win it for him.  He is so admired and beloved in this city.  At the age of 73 years, he is also the second-oldest coach/manager to win a World Series, second only behind a man, Jack McKeon (2003 Miami Marlins) who is the oldest to ever win it, that defeated Dusty's Cubs 19 years ago in the NLCS.  He and Rudy T (NBA) will go down as the two greatest coaches in Houston sports history.  For the first time in almost a decade, the World Championship trophy is present to the home team.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Bruce on November 06, 2022, 12:17:39 AM
Philadelphia seems to be the first city to lose two major league championships on the same day. Tough for them.

Probably also the first city to host two major league championships on the same day too.

We, of course, were hoping for a drastically different outcome.  90 seconds away from winning the MLS.  And the Phillies were playing on house money, barely making the playoffs, having a great October, only to suddenly see their offense dry up in November.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Hunty2022 on November 05, 2022, 10:16:14 PM
Yordan Alvarez 3 RUN HOME RUN!!!

Astros winning 3-1

They'll be second-guessing that pitching change for years. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

For the first time since 2013, the home team has clinched a World Series championship. Although I still hate the Astros with a passion, I'm happy that Dusty Baker finally has his ring. But then again, just about every team he's managed has gone on to win without him (with the Reds being the lone exception). This includes the Giants (2010, 2012 and 2014), Cubs (2016) and Nationals (2019).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

therocket

Edwin Diaz signed a 5 year/$102 million deal yesterday, with a $20 million club option for a sixth year. This deal is the biggest given to a reliever in MLB history.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: therocket on November 07, 2022, 01:51:33 PM
Edwin Diaz signed a 5 year/$102 million deal yesterday, with a $20 million club option for a sixth year. This deal is the biggest given to a reliever in MLB history.

Likely to have Josh Hader own that throne soon enough (and then someone will unseat him soon then too)
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on November 07, 2022, 01:44:47 PM
For the first time since 2013, the home team has clinched a World Series championship. Although I still hate the Astros with a passion, I'm happy that Dusty Baker finally has his ring. But then again, just about every team he's managed has gone on to win without him (with the Reds being the lone exception). This includes the Giants (2010, 2012 and 2014), Cubs (2016) and Nationals (2019).
With the Giants and Cubs he was well out of the picture by the time they won.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2022, 11:43:50 AM

A star player on steroids wasn't enough for Dusty to win. He had to go to a team where the entire team was cheating.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 08, 2022, 12:35:00 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 08, 2022, 11:43:50 AM

A star player on steroids wasn't enough for Dusty to win. He had to go to a team where the entire team was cheating.
Yeah and it cracks me up how he's so beloved in Houston all the sudden  That team would have won with Terry Bevington as their manager and then Terry would have been beloved in Houston.

Henry

It's also funny, or ironic (however you want to put it), that in a year where a Black manager won the World Series, neither team had a Black player on its roster. This is a trend that hadn't been seen in 75 years before then.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

The demographic trend for MLB players over the last couple decades as been interesting.  To the point where one doesn't see many African Americans in the league any more.  Seems like the pipelines of talent is diverting that demographic toward basketball and football increasingly.  Meanwhile Latin players are blowing up in the majors.  To the point where I think one team had an entire starting line up of Latino guys this season.  It's impressive, the demographic shift.  One might even argue it's keeping the league afloat.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

Oil Can Boyd of the 80s Red Sox was outspoken about the racism in baseball at that time.

therocket

Free agency deals:
Clayton Kershaw re-signs with the Dodgers on a 1-year, "around" $20 million deal
Rafael Montero re-signs with the Astros on a 3-year, $34.5 million deal
Robert Suárez re-signs with the Padres on a 5-year, $46 million deal with an opt-out after the 2025 season
Nick Anderson signs with the Braves on a 1-year split deal ($875 thousand in the majors, $180 thousand in the minors)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.