News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 06, 2019, 11:20:45 AM
TX 93/FM 3527 BGS on the right was added to the gantry circa 2013.

Thus doubling the loading on the structure (cringes).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadman on June 07, 2019, 12:58:14 PMThus doubling the loading on the structure (cringes).

TxDOT sign elevation sheets often have outlines marked "Future Sign."  So it is likely this structure was designed for the load it currently carries even if the sign on left was added later.

As for whether that is the case for this structure--dunno.  I'd have to find the control section before I could consult my TxDOT signing sheet collection (which has well over 20,000 sign panel detail and sign elevation sheets at this point).  It likely won't have documentation that is on point if the signs and structure were erected by state forces rather than through contract.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

TxDOT regularly mounts two signs on cantilever structures, so I'm guessing their standard structure design is built to support that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I am leaning against any part of this cantilever sign assembly having been erected by contract.

StreetView showing it faces southbound traffic on I-369/US 59 north of SH 93 interchange

The relevant state highway control sections in the area are 0218-02, 0218-01, and 2050-03.  Nothing relevant turns up for plan sheets filed under those control sections.  This is all in TxDOT's Atlanta district, numbered 19, so one or both signs could have been erected under a districtwide sign replacement contract with a control section fitting the 0919-XX mask (XX usually 00).  Again, I see no relevant plan sheets.  This leaves two other options:  (1) filed under another control section (likely since the Atlanta district is semi-famous in this community for using oversized independent-mount FM shields as guide sign shields, and none of those plans is filed under an 0919-XX mask--most of them were installed as part of CCSJ 0046-03-031); or (2) I don't have the plans in my TxDOT signing collection because they were not pattern-accurate (happens with TxDOT, though thankfully not often).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

KEVIN_224

D-Dey65

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on June 08, 2019, 07:39:23 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/EJMf48hAkAhjzqXH6

It was still readable in this older shot. :)
I see that. But that's not so good if the lettering can be washed out like that in four months.

TBKS1

Hi, might as well provide this.

Interstate 44 WB in Pacific, MO. Taken on June 2nd, 2019.

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

ipeters61

I've been going through a list of locations today at work and noticed that the "11TH" on this street blade feels off.  Maybe a bit more space between the second "1" and the "T"?  https://goo.gl/maps/Z3FFkuVMWa39CiWv9
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

odditude

Quote from: ipeters61 on June 17, 2019, 01:40:44 PM
I've been going through a list of locations today at work and noticed that the "11TH" on this street blade feels off.  Maybe a bit more space between the second "1" and the "T"?  https://goo.gl/maps/Z3FFkuVMWa39CiWv9
ordinals are normally superscript (e.g. 11TH).

Amtrakprod

Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Bruce

Red street blades at the City of Seattle's Joint Training Facility for police and firefighters.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on June 21, 2019, 02:06:01 AM
Red street blades at the City of Seattle's Joint Training Facility for police and firefighters.

https://i.imgur.com/dIxNJpq.jpg

With complementary fake street names! Nice find.

Jovet

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 27, 2019, 01:22:49 PM
In the northern frontier tier states like Nebraska and South Dakota, there are what are called brand inspection areas.  Cattle based in these areas that are sold or transferred must (with certain exceptions) have their brands inspected by state officials.  There have been state line signs to indicate these requirements but not how to fulfill them, so they constitute classic examples of cryptic signing.
I think it's more of a "if you're in the cattle business you know what it's talking about; otherwise pay no mind."  The obvious goal is to prevent selling or buying stolen ("hot") livestock.
I could have sworn we had a "Entering Brand Inspection Area" sign, but can't I find any evidence of one.  I can only find a "Leaving" sign, which is designated as R19-2.
Leaving:  https://goo.gl/maps/PiBYZxcnun5ppXL58  #2: https://goo.gl/maps/wrwQxtTx1gMBFN718
On a separate note, I've always admired the boldness of this standard Nebraska sign (W25-11):  https://agronomy.unl.edu/faculty/Twidwell/redcedar/rangfiressign.png
The page with that image (it isn't mine) indicates these signs have been removed. That's too bad.  https://agronomy.unl.edu/eastern-redcedar-science-literacy-project/science-literacy-action

Joseph
[Jovet]

D-Dey65

Quote from: Bruce on June 21, 2019, 02:06:01 AM

I saw one of those in a park in Dade City, Florida where they had a Santa Claus shack for Christmas.

1995hoo

Never seen this before. Spotted it this morning at the corner of Spadina Road and MacPherson Avenue in Toronto while we were walking from the subway stop to Casa Loma.

Later in the afternoon I saw this admonition at the corner of Bay and Wellington downtown. The traffic coming the other way gets a green turn arrow before the pedestrian walk signal comes on, so that's probably the reason for the sign. Still not one I'd seen before.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ErmineNotyours

Neon blankout sign, at the west end of the I-90 transit lanes in Seattle, 2014.  The ramp used to be reversible, but Metro wanted all-day access to the Rainier Avenue Freeway Station, and it became two-way transit only.  You can barely see neon elements for "BUS CARPOOL" that used to light up green when it was open as a reversible lane.  The sign and ramp has been and is being removed to convert the lanes to light rail use, and blankout signs continue to be made only in conventional LEDs.

chays

I've never seen this type of arrow before.  This is at the WB SR-408 ramp onto EB I-4 in downtown Orlando.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/GMv7U3L9yHgmqBxQ9
NYSTA signs NY 17 with a directional header, but does not for NY 59.   Yes, I know NJ 17 south departs from another interchange nearby (the same road) so this is to avoid confusion for motorists as its intended for all routes in this normally to be without directions where only one direction heads away from the signed ramp as it really is here too.  However, it still looks interesting here to see it signed this way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MNHighwayMan

The city of Des Moines recently completed a project on E McKinley Ave near SE 14th St. At each end of the redone roadway were one of these signs:

What is it about the new pavement that requires less salt? Also seems a little odd that they're posting signs about road salt, when it's nearly July. :)

Big John

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wanderer2575

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 29, 2019, 01:11:54 PM
The city of Des Moines recently completed a project on E McKinley Ave near SE 14th St. At each end of the redone roadway were one of these signs:

What is it about the new pavement that requires less salt? Also seems a little odd that they're posting signs about road salt, when it's nearly July. :)

I think it's not that it requires less salt but rather the hope to reduce corrosion and failure of the concrete until it's had more time (I'm talking a few years) to continue curing and gaining strength.  That sign could be up for a few years, so might as well post it now as part of the project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.