AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 03:49:39 PM 
Started by Pete from Boston - Last post by kphoger

I travel with unrestrained 15-pound objects in the car all the time.  Maybe I should start seat-belting my groceries...

Well, usually we put our groceries in the cargo space, so they arenít as dangerous as a cat or dog in the passenger compartment.

Then you apparently drive a vehicle with a trunk.  We don't.

on: Today at 03:48:17 PM 
Started by Desert Man - Last post by webny99
High temps map from yesterday, with about 116 million Americans over 90F:

[img]

Wow, looks like upstate NY and the Pacific Northwest are the only locations that didn't crack 70 degrees!

on: Today at 03:47:59 PM 
Started by tolbs17 - Last post by kphoger
I'm guessing "EXIT ONLY" is only used if there is an auxiliary lane or a really long lane from another interchange. The I-85 section where I-840 exits off doesn't warrant one because there's no lane that comes from another interchange.

EXIT ONLY is only used when that lane must exit.  It's that simple.

on: Today at 03:37:30 PM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by wanderer2575
Narrow residential street, cars parked on one side, oncoming car, approaching a stop sign and corner businesses... 33 mph? Easily driving too fast for conditions. I'd be approaching that cautiously expecting someone to dash out at maybe 20-25 mph.

You get upset with the person... who had limited sight visibility and had no choice. You're speeding down the road and apparently he's at fault. If you were a true, skillful, defensive driver, you'd take account for the conditions around you, slow down, and anticipate someone to jump in front of you.

Speed limit on residential streets in that town is 30mph unless otherwise posted, there was plenty of sight visibility. I've came out onto streets in Chicago with worse visibility without issue (using the reflections in the parked cars as guidance). He didn't even try to look.

Narcissism and total self-assurance that youíre never wrong must be nice.

Point is.. If he looked he would not have jumped out like that either that or he looked and just didn't care. I go down that street all the time and that's one of the first times I've ever had an issue.

That's like saying "I hop the chain-link fence and walk across the freeway all the time, and that's one of the first times someone's almost hit me."

on: Today at 03:31:43 PM 
Started by Wayward Memphian - Last post by edwaleni
U.S. says steel in I-40 bridge prone to crack

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jun/16/us-says-steel-in-i-40-bridge-prone-to-crack/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=morning-6-16-21-nonsubscribers&utm_content=morning-6-16-21-nonsubscribers+CID_62db35dff35db4c0f3f853b5a4c94004&utm_source=Email%20Marketing%20Platform&utm_term=US%20says%20steel%20in%20I-40%20bridge%20prone%20to%20crack

Good write up. This writer actually did some research on the issues with butt welding with T1 steel along with historical data.

on: Today at 03:30:45 PM 
Started by Wayward Memphian - Last post by kalvado
U.S. says steel in I-40 bridge prone to crack

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jun/16/us-says-steel-in-i-40-bridge-prone-to-crack/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=morning-6-16-21-nonsubscribers&utm_content=morning-6-16-21-nonsubscribers+CID_62db35dff35db4c0f3f853b5a4c94004&utm_source=Email%20Marketing%20Platform&utm_term=US%20says%20steel%20in%20I-40%20bridge%20prone%20to%20crack
Not that I am surprised.  Somewhat similar situation in a previous accident of Delaware bridge crack (NJ/PA turnpike):
https://idot.illinois.gov/Assets/uploads/files/Doing-Business/Reports/Highways/Bridges/20170224%20-%20Closure%20of%20I-276%20Delaware%20River%20Bridge%20Event%20Report.pdf
Plans called for the use of A-94 silicon steel; however, shop drawings indicate that a U.S. Steel proprietary alloy called Man-Ten was substituted for A-94 during construction.  At this time we cannot find an ASTM reference for Man-Ten.  Spec sheets from US Steel for Man-Ten indicate it is not suitable for spot welding, with weld locations having markedly lower toughness. 
Causes of the Fracture:
The FHWA believes it is unlikely that a single or satisfying answer will be determined as to the cause of the sudden fracture.

So... Shit happens!

on: Today at 03:30:41 PM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Narrow residential street, cars parked on one side, oncoming car, approaching a stop sign and corner businesses... 33 mph? Easily driving too fast for conditions. I'd be approaching that cautiously expecting someone to dash out at maybe 20-25 mph.

You get upset with the person... who had limited sight visibility and had no choice. You're speeding down the road and apparently he's at fault. If you were a true, skillful, defensive driver, you'd take account for the conditions around you, slow down, and anticipate someone to jump in front of you.

Speed limit on residential streets in that town is 30mph unless otherwise posted, there was plenty of sight visibility. I've came out onto streets in Chicago with worse visibility without issue (using the reflections in the parked cars as guidance). He didn't even try to look.

Point is.. If he looked he would not have jumped out like that either that or he looked and just didn't care. I go down that street all the time and that's one of the first times I've ever had an issue.

Point is, that you were an equal contributor to the incident at hand (as many have pointed out) but youíre incapable of holding yourself accountable.  Thatís a common theme with your threads; you are often equally to blame but canít critique yourself.

on: Today at 03:26:51 PM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by Crash_It

on: Today at 03:23:50 PM 
Started by Avalanchez71 - Last post by renegade
Anybody on US-23 between mile markers 5 & 15 in Michigan is taking their life in their hands.  3 serious accidents yesterday alone.
Was through there on Saturday.  Sure is messed up.  They're supposed to be working on that stretch soon.

on: Today at 03:21:28 PM 
Started by roadwaywiz95 - Last post by signalman
So are we all becoming Mr. Angery now?  I thought that was purely a roadwaywiz creation.
Angry is a state of mind. Not specifically a roadwaywiz thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.