Flashing Work Zone Arrows...

Started by thenetwork, July 03, 2012, 02:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

What form of the flashing yellow arrow does your state use on the portable work-zone signs?

a)  The Triple Chevron:  "> to  >> to  >>>" or "< to << to <<<"

b)  The Flashing Long "static" Arrow:   " ------>"  or "<------"

c)  The Sliding/Growing Long Arrow:  "--> to ----> to ------>" or  "<-- to <---- to <------"

Colorado tends to use the 3 chevron arrows, while Ohio mostly uses the long, static arrow.

signalman

New Jersey uses the long, static arrows.

Takumi

I've seen all three in Virginia, but the chevron is less common than the arrows.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brian556

Texas mostly uses the single-flash arrow ----->. The Texas Mutch prohibits using the chevron mode at night; research found that to some drivers it appears as a "big blur" at night.

I personally dislike the --    --  > three phase arrow because it takes three times as long to give motorists the message. When I worked for TxDOT, our arrow boards had that function, but I did not use it for that reason.

I noticed that all the arrow boards in Alabama used the chevron method.

Revive 755

I don't see an option for a center lane closure - at least for flashing static, I've seen <---> or <--- followed by --->

Otherwise:

* Illinois - Flashing long static; think the standard specs specifically forbid the chevron

* Iowa - Chevron

* Nebraska - Chevron

Less sure about the following - going from recent travels

* Utah - Chevron

* Nevada - Chevron

* California - Chevron

agentsteel53

Mexico uses the flashing static arrow.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

nwi_navigator_1181

Here, it varies from zone to zone.

The majority of work zones use the static flashing arrow, however one arrow board near my apartment had the sliding arrow format during pipe repair work.

I personally have not seen any zone in my state that used the chevron format.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Alps

Let's throw one on here - what does your state use for caution?

a) The Flashing Bar: "-------"

b) The Double Diamond: "<>  <>"

c) The Flashing Diamond (rare): "<>     " to "   <>   " to "     <>"

NJ uses a.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Steve on July 03, 2012, 08:18:44 PM

NJ uses a.

Here in Indiana, choice a as well (I know Illinois uses that format often too).
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

DaBigE

Quote from: thenetwork on July 03, 2012, 02:46:13 PM
What form of the flashing yellow arrow does your state use on the portable work-zone signs?

a)  The Triple Chevron:  "> to  >> to  >>>" or "< to << to <<<"

b)  The Flashing Long "static" Arrow:   " ------>"  or "<------"

c)  The Sliding/Growing Long Arrow:  "--> to ----> to ------>" or  "<-- to <---- to <------"

Wisconsin requires the Flashing Long Arrow on all highways state trunk and above. Locals can use whatever they wish, although I have yet to see any of them use the Triple Chevron.

Wisconsin uses the flashing bar.

There also is a fourth option I've seen: Flashing Four Corners, either all at once or side to side (wig-wag).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

I really have no idea.  What I do is...notice the big ol' trailer with a sign on it surrounded by orange cones and heavy equipment, then make the decision to get in the other lane before even looking at the arrow.   :biggrin:  :sombrero:  :bigass:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

I want to say I have even seen one state (WV???) that has a yellow long arrow painted on the board itself, should the lights stop working.  They have moveable flaps on each side of the board to determine which end gets the arrow or just the straight line.

roadfro

The MUTCD governs minimum requirements for these portable work zone warning signs, referred to as "arrow boards", in section 6F.61 (see figure 6F-6). Each board must be able to provide the following modes:

1. Multi-lane roadway merge left/right (at least one of these)

a) Flashing Arrow: "----->"

b) Sequential Arrow: "-->   "  "--->  "  "----->"

c) Sequential Chevron: ">   "  ">>  "  ">>>"

2. Multi-lane roadway, merge left or right

Flashing Double Arrow: "<--->"

3. Caution (at least one of these)

a) Flashing Caution: ":   :"

b) Flashing Caution: " ---- "

c) Alternating Diamond Mode: "<>  "  "   <>"

Modes 1 & 2 are only supposed to be used for lane closures in one direction of a multi-lane roadway. Mode 3 is only supposed to be used for shoulder closures, work near the shoulder, or temporary closures on two-lane roads.

These are minimum MUTCD requirements. There are other variants. For example, I have seen a Sequential Double Arrow used in a couple projects in Reno.

Nevada tends to use Sequential Chevrons for lane closures 99% of the time.

For shoulder closures, Nevada tends to use the Flashing Caution dots; however, they use the Alternating Diamond arrangement at times as well. Nearly any time I have seen mobile maintenance operations (such as a paint truck or street sweeper) on the shoulder, Alternating Diamonds have been used on truck-mounted arrow boards of the maintenance vehicle (and the cushion truck that follows it, where applicable).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Oklahoma arrow boards don't even have the option to do chevrons or sliding arrows. Just blinking arrows. And I've never seen just a caution bar either–work on the shoulder still uses an arrow pointing towards the road, as if the shoulder were a lane that was closing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

Québec and Ontario use flashing static arrows, and a flashing bar for caution.

colinstu

I didn't even know that the "flashing bar" meant anything. lol. Where is this meaning actually written?

I thought it was more along the lines of "Well we have this sign here, but there's no need to merge traffic over so let's just... turn off the arrow part and keep the line."
I've seen the lights in the four corners too... again thought it was just some random temporary signal.

kphoger

Same here, although I would assume more caution with a flashing bar.  Four dots in the corners:  I thought that meant 'no need for caution yet, but we'll light up the sign soon when the need arises'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

deathtopumpkins

At a recent work zone safety seminar I attended, I learned that apparently MassDOT policy prohibits using a line for caution, apparently due to motorist confusion - people think it's a broken arrow. Thus MassDOT uses either X's in the corners for caution (rare) or just uses text.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

WNYroadgeek

New York also uses the flashing long static arrow.

roadman

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 04, 2012, 09:25:50 PM
At a recent work zone safety seminar I attended, I learned that apparently MassDOT policy prohibits using a line for caution, apparently due to motorist confusion - people think it's a broken arrow. Thus MassDOT uses either X's in the corners for caution (rare) or just uses text.

That is correct.  As written into the Massachusetts 2009 MUTCD amendments that were recently issued, MassDOT no longer permits the "flashing solid bar" display to indicate caution on a flashing arrow panel.  My understanding is that the jury is out regarding the use of "double diamond" caution displays, so "four corners" is is for now.

I've heard from my sources that MassDOT will eventually be phasing out the flashing arrow in favor of sequential chevrons as well.  Apparently the issue is that both MassDOT and several of their contractors still have a large number of older arrow panels that can't display sequential chevrons.

One other work zone note for Massachusetts.  Per the 2009 MUTCD requirements, they will begin posting a combined "ROAD WORK ENDS/END DOUBLE FINES" signs for all new work zones on projects that are bid but haven't been awarded to a contractor yet, as well as all projects still under design.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

codyg1985

Quote from: Brian556 on July 03, 2012, 06:35:54 PM
I noticed that all the arrow boards in Alabama used the chevron method.

With very few exceptions that is the case in Alabama. I have seen some instances where the three-phase arrow is used, but it is very rare.

NJ uses a.

I have seen a variation on C around Huntsville, AL where it alternates between "<>    " and "    <>" I think I may have seen C used in Alabama too. I don't think I have ever seen the other two in Alabama.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Compulov

The various "safety patrol" vehicles I've seen in NJ and PA with the VMSes mounted have been using either an animated arrow or the words "SLOW DOWN MOVE OVER" (or some combination of the two in sequence).

Roadsguy

PennDOT typically uses --> and <-- for arrows, and :  : for caution.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.