Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

(1/133) > >>

Brandon:
It's been approved at the Federal level as well as at the State level.

U.S. OKs turning Elgin-O'Hare Expressway into tollway

--- Quote ---The U.S. Transportation Department approved an agreement allowing the Illinois Tollway to include the existing highway in its $3.6 billion Elgin-O’Hare Western Access Project, according to officials in Washington, D.C., and Illinois.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The Elgin-O’Hare Western Access Project will include construction of a new, all-electronic toll road around the western border of O'Hare International Airport.

The new tollway will link the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) and the Tri-State Tollway (I-294). The existing Elgin-O’Hare Expressway will be turned into a tollway and will be widened and extended east along Thorndale Avenue to O'Hare.
--- End quote ---

nwi_navigator_1181:
This...is interesting.

A bypass inside of a bypass...eliminating the need to kink eastward on I-294 if you wish to access I-90 west toward Rockford, also eliminating the gap between the current east terminus of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway and the junction with I-290. I actually like this.

I know there will be those who will complain about the fact that it's tolled. While I understand that, the fact that the Illinois Tollway Authority is willing to fill a known gap in an expressway that currently serves little functionality is remarkable. The connector between I-294 and I-90 will be great for those who want to quickly access I-90 without dealing with airport traffic.

It will be more than a decade before it comes to fruition, but I like to see what they come up with.

3467:
I hope they make sure they help the 46 displaced business which I suspect are manufacturing or wholesale. The Ohare are is the manufacturing center of Illinois.
I am suprised it needed FHWA approval for tolls because it was primarily a state project. Perhaps any federal money involved requires FHWA approval?
I think the EIS documents are still on IDOTs site

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: 3467 on January 25, 2013, 07:48:43 PM ---I hope they make sure they help the 46 displaced business which I suspect are manufacturing or wholesale. The Ohare are is the manufacturing center of Illinois.
I am suprised it needed FHWA approval for tolls because it was primarily a state project. Perhaps any federal money involved requires FHWA approval?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: 3467 on January 25, 2013, 07:48:43 PM ---I hope they make sure they help the 46 displaced business which I suspect are manufacturing or wholesale. The Ohare are is the manufacturing center of Illinois.

--- End quote ---

I think this was just a formality, but needed b/c the original EOE used some federal funds in its design or construction.  It would be a lot tougher (but not impossible) to toll if it were a current "free" marked interstate route according to the current FHWA policy.

The Tier One and Tier Two EIS's are indeed available at IDOT's website.  Both have received a Record of Decision.

3467:
Illinois did so many routes before(Ike Kennedy) and after(rest of 88.72.155.39) I bet they could get FHWA approval on those too...In realted topic they will try to add IL 53 to the Tollway . Illinois does have untapped assets. Its may have to tap those because it runs a federal type fiscal policy w/o benefit of a printing press

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version