AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 08:38:50 PM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by roadman65
https://goo.gl/maps/Hvdok6admkGeDKzBA

What kind of signal is that red x on the two section for?

on: Today at 08:31:33 PM 
Started by andy3175 - Last post by roadman65
My question is why is each tube striped for single lane?Wouldn’t it been more logical to build one tube for two way traffic?  Yes it’s safer but still a waste of money for a state that claims it’s broke.  Or for any state unless they are being proactive for future expansion.

on: Today at 08:27:33 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by pderocco
Nice stitching job on those panos.  :clap: What did you use to do it?

Pano Tools, then cropping and globally adjusting in Photoshop.

on: Today at 08:26:36 PM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by roadman65
Yeah they should have but Orange County had the same issue with CR 527 andCentral Florida Parkway when CR 527 was realigned to cross the CSX on a new bridge. They severed Central Florida Parkway with the bridge incline and extended Zell Drive to meet Central Florida at another location.  All they needed was to build CR 527 over Central Florida as well.

on: Today at 08:25:01 PM 
Started by andy3175 - Last post by pderocco
https://goo.gl/maps/fggewoRNzWc8Sjnr9

Is it me or is the south portal of the Tom Lantos Tunnel larger in diameter than its northbound counterpart?

The Street View imagery clearly shows that in each direction the exit from the tunnel widens on the left side. At the north end, this allows for emergency vehicle turnaround.

on: Today at 08:19:56 PM 
Started by Chris - Last post by US 89
There's nothing like some nostalgia to bring back what used to be prevalent in the area. AFAIK, all the old Series D signs inside the Perimeter have been replaced, right?

No, the ones on I-20 are still there. And it's Series C.

Plenty of old style Georgia signage still alive and kicking on I-85 too, both down by the airport and northeast of the 75 split. There is also some on 400.

on: Today at 08:19:56 PM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by roadman65
Inevitably Stamped by Supertramp had a set of tattooed boobs on it.

on: Today at 08:19:26 PM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by jakeroot
For the record, I don’t believe California has any rules about signal-per-lane. That is a recommendation within the MUTCD, but California has historically had quite a unique set of rules for signal placement and operation. Distinct enough that I doubt they even recognize the MUTCD’s recommendation. Not that they really need to, I prefer California’s strategy ten-fold.

I think Alaska is the same about the signal per lane discussion, they have a table in their own state MUTCD that gives a certain number of overhead signals on an approach that's not one overhead signal per lane, and requires a far right supplemental signal to be mounted.

Very true. For example, I don't think I've seen a double left turn in Alaska that has more than one overhead left turn signal. Every double left turn has a single overhead left turn signal, and a far-left corner left turn signal.

Alaska actually has some of the best signals in the US, and it rarely seems to get much recognition. I know supplemental left corner signals are required for all approaches that don't use fully-permissive phasing, and far-right supplemental signals are mandatory.

on: Today at 08:12:31 PM 
Started by jakeroot - Last post by jakeroot
It hasn't been a month yet since the last post, and I found another example in Salina, Kansas!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7980492,-97.6128301,3a,75y,43.84h,88.65t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spKlT61K6Vt9K3lOmsuW0fg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DpKlT61K6Vt9K3lOmsuW0fg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D14.805189%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Well found.

I wish they would have modified the oncoming left turn to positive-offset alignment (against oncoming traffic instead of against through traffic), as that would have improved visibility for left-turning traffic. But maybe it works okay. I know Tucson swears by some kind of clearance zone between the through lanes and the left turn lanes.

on: Today at 08:07:09 PM 
Started by kernals12 - Last post by kernals12
Cornell University showed off 3D printing robotic arm. They say it eliminates the need for concrete molds. Combined with fiber reinforcement replacing rebar, this would utterly transform civil engineering and make all sorts of projects much less expensive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.