News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 03:59:20 PM
These Finals went from 0 to 100 real quick, and I am here for it.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Big Island roads
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 03:59:10 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 02:14:46 PMI just finalized a trip to the big Hawaiian island this coming October.  Aside from knocking out a National Park and hiking Waipio Valley Road I don't have much of an itinerary of "must do" road stuff.  Thoughts from the board on what other roads are notable enough to prioritize? 

Worth noting, I'm not looking for a full island clinch.  I "probably" won't have a high clearance rental, but more to come on that.
No Unimogs for rent?

Haven't even looked for a rental in general.  Usually the rental part isn't a big deal for me given I have a family member at Enterprise.  I'm only interested in high clearance if I'm going to actually use it.
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 03:56:37 PM
Does this ever to anyone else or am I crazy? I will walk to my car in a parking lot, someone will be piddling along in their next to me taking their sweet ass time, then when I get in my car and they notice they start moving faster so they can back out of their space faster than I can and now I have to wait for them to get out of the way. Then to top that off they move like a snail.
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 03:51:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 02:14:46 PMI just finalized a trip to the big Hawaiian island this coming October.  Aside from knocking out a National Park and hiking Waipio Valley Road I don't have much of an itinerary of "must do" road stuff.  Thoughts from the board on what other roads are notable enough to prioritize? 

Worth noting, I'm not looking for a full island clinch.  I "probably" won't have a high clearance rental, but more to come on that.
No Unimogs for rent?
Quote from: mgk920 on Today at 11:01:31 AM
Quote from: gonealookin on June 21, 2024, 01:53:15 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on June 21, 2024, 01:38:12 PMAgain, some posters are missing the point of I-11. It's not on politicians' minds because it can somehow connect Reno and Las Vegas with an interstate. It's on their minds because they want trucks to be connected Mexico to Canada.

And as a Nevada taxpayer I really don't give a hoot about trucks going Mexico-Canada.  If that's the rationale for building this thing then somebody else gotta pay for it.

And such a road already passes through LAS, it is called 'I-15'.

Mike
How in the world does I-15 bypass Las Vegas lol? Las Vegas traffic sure flows better for the most part but there are massive housing developments planned and who knows how much longer Vegas traffic will flow at effective LOS levels. Maybe Scott can shed some light since he lives there. I just visit and maybe I get lucky but the only segments of freeway I ever experience "real" big city traffic on is I-15 and I-11(formally I-515) near DTLV. Las Vegas is certainly a big city IMO. Not LA or NYC big but bigger than a lot of cities. I-15 goes straight through. Less than half a mile from it's core. I consider it's core downtown even if the strip is busier.

Given trends of decentralization of cities I still think of their downtowns as the main part of economic activity and vibrancy.
Central States / Re: Proposed US 412 Upgrade
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 03:46:12 PM
I thought the standard was a mile and that's just rural. Older segments seem to have exits closer but I can't recall specific examples. I also don't see an issue of close exits with braided ramps.
Road Trips / Re: Ithaca NY to Washington DC...
Last post by oscar - Today at 03:23:27 PM
Quote from: dzheng35 on Today at 01:35:02 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 01:25:13 PMAs to question 2, where in the DC area is your specific destination?

Either Chinatown, the Zoo, or a hotel that we're staying in Crystal Springs, VA, depending on weather and time.

Crystal Springs seems to be somewhere near the Fair Oaks or Fair Lakes shopping centers, or in the outer reaches of the Dulles Airport area. Either way, it's definitely in the western part of the DC metro area. Probably best to take US 15 to I-270, and then I-495 into northern Virginia. I-495 is notorious for congestion problems (not just during rush hour), but connecting via I-270 rather than Baltimore would reduce your exposure to those problems.

The Zoo and Chinatown are in car-unfriendly D.C. proper, far from your hotel. Are you planning to take Metrorail into D.C.? Getting to a Silver Line or Orange Line Metro station from your hotel depends on the hotel's specific location. The Zoo and Chinatown each have their own Metro stations on the Red Line.
Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by Stephane Dumas - Today at 03:15:37 PM
Sightly an off-topic sidenote, but I saw on an other forum a thread about the 25th anniversary of Brett Hull's "No Goal" incident at the 1999 finals between Buffalo and Dallas.
https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/25-years-ago-no-goal.2969107/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_LRVuhNa4
Last post by Dirt Roads - Today at 03:07:09 PM
Great plans!  We rented a small 4X4 just to get down into Waipio Valley Road, but we loved it so much that my son and I ended up hiking it later the same day.  Note that much of the property in the valley is private, so it generally takes some outside help to get access to Waipio Falls.  We went on the cheap and couldn't go that far.  You might want to take a tour bus. 

The Big Island is really not so big.  If you like to drive all day, the Hawaii Belt Road (H-11/H-19) is only 260 miles all the way around.  We split it up into two trips:  one on the southern part of the Belt and the other on the northern part of the Belt, then returning over Saddle Road (H-200).  I wasn't trying to clinch the Big Island routes, but came very close catching all but H-132, H-137, H-250 and the northeastern spur of H-260.  The new route of Saddle Road bypassing Kaumana Homesteads was under construction, so H-200 is now "unclinched".

If you are into waterfalls, you will want to catch all of the parks that have them.  The one at Akaka Falls State Park requires a 1/2-mile hike; you can drive right up to Rainbow Falls in Hilo, but you'll also want to keep going a couple miles upstream to catch Peʻepeʻe Falls.  The parks often have a small entrance fee, but Rainbow is a freebie.

If you want to catch the local culture and exotic fruits/veggies, make sure you spend time at the "Farmer's Markets" in both Hilo and Kilua-Kona.  I recommend that you try everything you can afford to eat.  The "Farmers Market" in Waimea was more oriented towards transplants and tourists, but had a lot of fancy local arts and crafts.  We're cheap, and didn't get much there (but it was worth the visit, as well). 

Everything at Volcanoes National Park is now gobbled up by Kiluea, and I'm assuming have now been replaced.  But while you are in the area, head down to Punaluʻu Black Beach.  We are not known as good swimmers, but we took swim gear everywhere and went snorkeling everywhere that we could get in the water.
Road Trips / Re: Ithaca NY to Washington DC...
Last post by Menzador - Today at 03:05:01 PM
Quote from: dzheng35 on Today at 12:51:55 PM1. From Ithaca to the Harrisburg, PA area, should I go to Marathon, NY, to get on and take I-81 on the east side, or should I take NY 13 to I-86 to US 15 in Corning on the west side?
The second option is quicker, not to mention it takes you past some gorgeous farm country.

If you go through Marathon, NY 392 will take you past Greek Peak and the lovely mountain country there. At the end of NY 392, turn right onto US 11 south.

Got some extra time? Take NY 34 to Waverly and continue on US 220. Go around Milton, PA on 147 to its southern terminus on US 15.

Any way you slice it, are you using I-83? If you are, don't. Stay on US 15. You'll be far better enriched. You'll go past Gettysburg and the gorgeous Catoctin Furnace area of Maryland. Instead of I-270 in Frederick, gawk at the wonder of the mountains and hop on VA 7 to VA 28 to get to Crystal Springs on I-66.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.