News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sign Route Resurrections

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 06, 2023, 11:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

What is examples are there of Sign Routes that went extinct only to make return?  An example of what I'm looking for just occurred in Fresno County with Letter County Route J40.  J40 had not been signed on Mountain View Avenue for at least a decade.  Sometime between 2018-2022 signs began to reappear after Mountain View Avenue was widened to expressway standards. 

Worth noting, for the purposes of making this thread more interesting i'm excluding Historic signage.  There is a lot of Historic Route signage out there for stuff like US 66 and US 99.  I'm interested in the actual return of standard field standard reassurance shields like the example above.

Alex

County Routes in Mobile County, Alabama were vastly unsigned until 2009, when the county decided to start posting most routes. Prior to that, there were next to no route markers, and those that were posted were along state maintained roadways. This resulted in the long time CR 56 for Airport Boulevard and CR 70 for Tanner Williams Road in Mobile, shown for years on the Rand McNally North American Road Atlas - Mobile, Alabama inset, were finally acknowledged (though outside the Mobile city limits only)

Also signs appeared on some roads that I never knew were assigned county route numbers, like CR 74 for the western segment of Howells Ferry Road (the eastern segment is CR 72, with the portion in between submerged by the creation of Big Creek Lake):

US 89

Was Mobile County the only one that didn't sign county routes? Every time I've ever been to Alabama, no matter what part of the state, one of the things I've always noticed is how well county routes are signed (and usually, how well they're kept up).

LilianaUwU

Well, since US 66 was brought up...

This shield was apparently put up in a construction zone in Illinois in 2006.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Big John

^^ And US 66 was not North-South.

Bickendan

Oregon had US 99E along I-5 between Albany and Salem back in the late 90s. Sadly since corrected back to OR 99E.

GaryV

Are you talking about a road that was a highway, was decommissioned, and then recommissioned? 

Because that's what's been happening with M-30 between M-20 and M-46. It was recently recommissioned as M-30. Although no signs have been reported in the field, it does show as such on the state highway map.

https://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/M-030.html

Incidentally, the same thing happened in the 1960's with the portion between US-10 and M-20.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yes, I would be looking for examples of what you describe also. 

Worth noting, despite the J40 signage I referenced above reappearing after a lengthy amount of time the highway designation was never deleted.  Tulare County in particular has the most Letter County Route designations in California.  None have ever been officially deleted but only J37 (Balch Park Road) remains signed from what I can tell in my travels. 

Bruce

Inadvertent one: in 1991, WA 304 (an important connector through Bremerton to the ferry terminal) was removed from the system by the legislature instead of their intended target (WA 306, a short state park spur). This was corrected in 1993.

A longer-term one: WA 113's predecessor (SSH 9A) was removed in 1955, rebuilt by the US Forest Service, and re-added to the system as WA 113 in 1991. It reused the number from an earlier designation for a part of WA 20.

wanderer2575

M-108 in Mackinaw City was designated in 1928, decommissioned in 1957, a portion of it recommissioned in 1960, and that portion decommissioned in 2010.

Some time (~20 years maybe) the Wayne County Road Commission erected M-14 shields along a portion of Plymouth Road, which used to be the route of M-14 until it was rerouted onto a new freeway in 1979.  Plymouth Road is still an unsigned state trunkline, so one day the county arbitrarily decided it needed route shields.  Which is interesting because I can't think of a case where Wayne County has ever replaced a damaged/missing legitimate shield.  (These shields didn't last long before being removed.)

Quillz

CA-7 was revived in 1990. CA-11 was revived a few years ago.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LilianaUwU on August 06, 2023, 01:25:40 PM
Well, since US 66 was brought up...

This shield was apparently put up in a construction zone in Illinois in 2006.

Fresno-Yosemite International Airport (FAT) says "hold my beer..."

99USa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

froggie

Quote from: US 89 on August 06, 2023, 12:01:23 PM
Was Mobile County the only one that didn't sign county routes? Every time I've ever been to Alabama, no matter what part of the state, one of the things I've always noticed is how well county routes are signed (and usually, how well they're kept up).

Unless things have changed, I don't think Jefferson County does either.  And Madison County doesn't have any county routes at all (roads, yes...numbered routes, no).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.