Regional Boards > Northeast

Massachusetts

<< < (410/419) > >>

Ted$8roadFan:

--- Quote from: shadyjay on November 24, 2022, 12:52:36 PM ---When I first started going into Boston, the loop ramps between I-93 and the Tobin had just opened.  I could only imagine the traffic nightmare of trying to merge the old way, especially if you were trying to stay on US 1 (remember US 1 was routed onto Storrow Drive, so you had to merge over in 1/4 mile to stay on).  One has to wonder if I-95 was still routed through Boston and up the Tobin how different the ramp configuration would be, or whether a future Tobin Bridge replacement would keep the ramps as is, or attempt to straighten out the connection to the northeast.

--- End quote ---

It was indeed a nightmare to merge and to cross over. Not only that, the old ramps were aging and needed to be replaced by the time of the Big Dig. I think 95 was routed through Boston at one point, missing segments and all. At least on maps it was. As for future improvements, I doubt there would be much change from the status quo. The lasting effect of the Big Dig (besides the improved (and imperfect) highway network and bridges) was cost overruns that have significantly reduced the appetite for big projects.

roadman65:
Where is the official end ( southern terminus) of US 3?

The Boston University Bridge or Harvard Bridge?

Ted$8roadFan:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on November 30, 2022, 02:49:30 AM ---Where is the official end ( southern terminus) of US 3?

--- End quote ---

Not surprisingly, thereís a conflict between Internet sources.  Google Maps says itís the BU bridge, whereas Wikipedia states it;s actually at the Longfellow Bridge. Itís probably somewhere in between. The Commonwealth itself isn't clear, at least from the signage on Memorial Drive.

roadman65:
I donít even think MA 2 is even well signed as it does use the BU Bridge and end at some place in Boston.

Thatís the confusing part, is signage in Boston is terrible.

5foot14:

--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on November 30, 2022, 05:33:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on November 30, 2022, 02:49:30 AM ---Where is the official end ( southern terminus) of US 3?

--- End quote ---

Not surprisingly, thereís a conflict between Internet sources.  Google Maps says itís the BU bridge, whereas Wikipedia states it;s actually at the Longfellow Bridge. Itís probably somewhere in between. The Commonwealth itself isn't clear, at least from the signage on Memorial Drive.

--- End quote ---
According to the MassDOT GIS Route Log, it ends (and MA 3 begins) at the Harvard Bridge intersection on Memorial Drive.

Check the logs here
https://gis.massdot.state.ma.us/mrla/

SM-A515U

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version