News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Seattle (SR 99 Tunnel) - February 2, 2019

Started by Bruce, September 01, 2018, 02:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compdude787

Best to do it sooner rather than later, and preferably when it's not raining. It's supposed to be partly sunny on Sunday.

jakeroot

I'm going to be in Seattle pretty much all day tomorrow and Friday (driving Lyft, my job). If anyone is in the city and wants to meet up for a drive through or something, definitely send me a message. AARoads PM, Twitter, Facebook, etc. I'm happy to drive through it as much as anyone wants, though the turnaround is all the way down at Diagonal Ave, so it's not a quick drive!

Are we thinking about putting together a Facebook event for this meeting? Or something informal on here? If something on here, we might want to use the chat function the day-of so we can find each other prior to any sort of official meetup, especially if two or more people are on the same schedule (since the itinerary is slightly different for some of us).

If we all want to have a larger meetup, somewhere downtown in the evening might be our best shot. Occidental Park, one of the piers, Victor Steinbrueck Park, Seattle Center, etc. Or since we might all be hungry, we can set up a food location instead (which might make more sense). Since WA has really restrictive rules on alcohol-serving establishments, meeting at a true pub will only work if we're all 21. Doubt that's the case.

If not a restaurant, Occidental Park is great since it's reasonably close to the viaduct/tunnel, 3rd Ave busway, King Street Station, and the Pioneer Square Link station.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2019, 05:07:21 PM
I'm going to be in Seattle pretty much all day tomorrow and Friday (driving Lyft, my job). If anyone is in the city and wants to meet up for a drive through or something, definitely send me a message. AARoads PM, Twitter, Facebook, etc. I'm happy to drive through it as much as anyone wants, though the turnaround is all the way down at Diagonal Ave, so it's not a quick drive!

Are we thinking about putting together a Facebook event for this meeting? Or something informal on here? If something on here, we might want to use the chat function the day-of so we can find each other prior to any sort of official meetup, especially if two or more people are on the same schedule (since the itinerary is slightly different for some of us).

If we all want to have a larger meetup, somewhere downtown in the evening might be our best shot. Occidental Park, one of the piers, Victor Steinbrueck Park, Seattle Center, etc. Or since we might all be hungry, we can set up a food location instead (which might make more sense). Since WA has really restrictive rules on alcohol-serving establishments, meeting at a true pub will only work if we're all 21. Doubt that's the case.

If not a restaurant, Occidental Park is great since it's reasonably close to the viaduct/tunnel, 3rd Ave busway, King Street Station, and the Pioneer Square Link station.
I can meet up for breakfast, but that's it. After the tunnel I head down to Portland.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on January 09, 2019, 05:16:45 PM
I can meet up for breakfast, but that's it. After the tunnel I head down to Portland.

Ahh, that's right. A brunch/breakfast meetup would be a solid plan too. Are you driving or riding transit?

Highway63

I would be up for a brunch/breakfast thing assuming I am back in the area by the morning. But if the ribbon cutting is at 11:30 will there be time to do anything before needing to get to a place to park?

Alps

Quote from: Highway63 on January 16, 2019, 12:48:29 AM
I would be up for a brunch/breakfast thing assuming I am back in the area by the morning. But if the ribbon cutting is at 11:30 will there be time to do anything before needing to get to a place to park?
Park first, eat near the ribbon cutting, walk over. Well, I'm not seeing anything that's normally open that early, so maybe not, unless someone volunteers to cook and we all pay him back.

Alps

There's been talk of an old sign at the ferry terminal just north of the ribbon cutting, so I'll be up there rather early. Also, my flight gets in around 8:30 and I'm just going across the street to the hotel from there, so if anyone wanted to meet Friday night, that can work. If interested, please respond to one of the below:
* Saturday: Planet Java Diner, 72 S Washington St., let's say 9:30 AM and we can walk down from there around 10:45.
* Friday: Mecca Mediterranean, 16324 Intl Blvd., around 9:00 PM (need to get up there from a scheduled landing of 8:25).

If I don't see votes, I may not be at either place, so please speak up!

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on January 30, 2019, 12:30:45 AM
If interested, please respond to one of the below:
* Saturday: Planet Java Diner, 72 S Washington St., let's say 9:30 AM and we can walk down from there around 10:45.
* Friday: Mecca Mediterranean, 16324 Intl Blvd., around 9:00 PM (need to get up there from a scheduled landing of 8:25).

I will definitely plan on that Saturday breakfast.

Friday should work too, as long as I'm in Seattle that night for work. I'll know for sure by tomorrow and will post back here.

ErmineNotyours

The breakfast sounds good.  I have my ticket for the 12:30 entry.

compdude787

Yeah that sounds like a good place for breakfast. I ended up with tickets for the 1:30 timeslot so that I can walk the viaduct and tunnel with everyone in my family. But I will join you guys for breakfast and to see the ribbon cutting.

It looks like the weather is shaping up to be partly sunny with only a 10% chance of rain, so I'm happy about that. I'm really looking forward to this; it's going to be a lot of fun getting to meet you guys!

Alps

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on January 30, 2019, 11:42:57 PM
The breakfast sounds good.  I have my ticket for the 12:30 entry.
I'm also 12:30 but want to catch the ribbon cutting at 11:30. So it sounds like the official meetup will be breakfast.

Bruce

Scratch that, I may be able to make the breakfast...or at least walk through during the earliest tunnel slot with everyone. I do have other obligations that will have to be made later in the day, so I might walk the viaduct with another group.

jakeroot

I am out for dinner Friday. Ended up in Seattle today instead of tomorrow. Dinner with family tomorrow.

Definitely will be great to finally meet some new faces! Saturday should be a blast.

Bruce

We should have a way of coordinating besides this thread. Telegram, Twitter, SMS/MMS...any will do.

Also, if anyone is driving past Marysville to make the breakfast, perhaps you could pick me up? Otherwise I'll be taking a very early bus to be on time.

Alps

compdude787

Alps, jakeroot, Bruce and Erminenotyours: I just sent you a PM with my phone number.

BloonsTDFan360

I am on my way to Seattle right now. I realize I am a bit crunched on time, but the least I'm hoping for is to say hi to you fellow roadgeeks. Where are you guys right now and what medthod of communication are you guys using?

I brought someone along with me so my ticker time is now 1:30.

Alps

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on February 02, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
It is, in fact, Bro-um. Two syllables.

Who confirmed it?

Quote from: BloonsTDFan360 on February 02, 2019, 02:37:56 PM
I am on my way to Seattle right now. I realize I am a bit crunched on time, but the least I'm hoping for is to say hi to you fellow roadgeeks. Where are you guys right now and what medthod of communication are you guys using?

I brought someone along with me so my ticker time is now 1:30.

Awesome! What's your sitrep? (As in, what are you doing right now?)

I am currently riding a bus to the north portal to walk the viaduct. Already walked the tunnel.

Bruce

It was nice putting faces to usernames. It's a bit unfortunate that we had to split up for the actual walk, but I think we'll have plenty of time to chat during our next roadmeet.

My only regret is not being able to snag one of the tote bags with the commemorative logo on them.

jakeroot

Crap, I didn't even know that was a thing. Oh well!

It was indeed great to see everyone, hopefully not for the last time!

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on February 02, 2019, 05:00:07 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 02, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
It is, in fact, Bro-um. Two syllables.

Who confirmed it?
Local police officer who was old enough to know the announcer.

BloonsTDFan360

I am currently riding a bus to the north portal to walk the viaduct. Already walked the tunnel.
Apologies for being late with this post, but at the time you posted, I was at the front of the line at the Seneca Street entrance to the viaduct. I've wanted to do the viaduct first then the tunnel. Ended spending a huge portion of my time at the viaduct (never been on it before) that we only had a little bit of time for the tunnel. It's alright I didn't get to see you guys. Seattle is so beautiful, we'll be back for spring break to check out more of the tunnel.

Alps

Quote from: BloonsTDFan360 on February 04, 2019, 10:12:33 PM

Apologies for being late with this post, but at the time you posted, I was at the front of the line at the Seneca Street entrance to the viaduct. I've wanted to do the viaduct first then the tunnel. Ended spending a huge portion of my time at the viaduct (never been on it before) that we only had a little bit of time for the tunnel. It's alright I didn't get to see you guys. Seattle is so beautiful, we'll be back for spring break to check out more of the tunnel.
I did the opposite - I've driven the viaduct a few times and it's just a big concrete monolith, so I only went as far as the interesting NB signs and then made my way back. Spent a lot more time photoing the tunnel.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.