News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cryptic word messages on traffic signs

Started by J N Winkler, July 02, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on July 08, 2013, 10:24:06 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
Okla. Dept. of Transp.
Pott. Co.
Maint. Hdqrs.

That's cryptic?  My guess would be "Oklahoma Department of Transportation/Pottawatomie County/Maintenance Headquarters" (if I spelled all those right).

Bingo. Not especially cryptic, but having that many abbreviations on one sign is rather sucky.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

doorknob60

Quote from: US71 on June 28, 2013, 07:43:59 AM
I'm not sure if this would qualify, but:  DR MLK JR DR in Greenville, MS
When I was a kid (young, under 10), I always thought this sign (link), "MLK Jr Blvd" in Portland was pronounced "Milk Jar Boulevard". When you're young enough to not know who MLK is, it makes sense.

empirestate

Quote from: doorknob60 on July 12, 2013, 02:16:22 AM
When I was a kid (young, under 10), I always thought this sign (link), "MLK Jr Blvd" in Portland was pronounced "Milk Jar Boulevard". When you're young enough to not know who MLK is, it makes sense.

I distinctly remember asking my kindergarten teacher why he didn't wear a crown.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2013, 06:44:05 PM
These parking signs are all over downtown DC. Lots of people get tickets because they don't understand the message. I'm interested in hearing you folks' interpretations. I know what the sign is intended to mean, but I don't think it conveys it well at all.

Thread bumped because this morning WTOP radio reports the signs shown above are going to be replaced due to rampant confusion as to what they mean. Lots of people have been ticketed for assuming you need not pay the meter after 6:30.

New style sign shown on the left, current style on the right:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

And given the signs, it seems that one can park from 4:30 to 10 pm, without limitation, so long as you pay the meter for the time you use.

Scott5114

What happens after 10p? Free parking?

jeffandnicole

mrsman

I believe the clearest way to get the message across would be as follows:

(2) HOUR LIMIT
PARKING
7 AM - 6:30 PM
MON - SAT
PAY TO PARK
-------------------------
(U)NLIMITED TIME
PARKING
6:30 PM - 10 PM
MON - SAT
PAY TO PARK

To me, the most important part is that both signs mention the need to pay to park.  This is especially important on streets that use the modern pay and display system and don't have meters at every spot.

Then again, the sign saying 3 1/2 Hour Parking is reminiscent of signs that say 12 Hour Parking 7 AM - 7 PM.  The only reason there's a sign at all is to inform you of the need to pay during those times, but if you do pay, you can stay as long as you want.

The thing about DC is that sometimes there is no consistency in the signage.  I remember that about the time they were starting to charge for parking after 6:30 PM, I had met my family for dinner at a restaurant downtown.  The meters had stickers mentioning parking until 10 pm, but the signs had only said till 6:30 PM.  Did we have to pay for parking or not?  Who knows.

And don't get me started on the new handicapped only meters.  On many Downtown blocks the only parking meter you see is at a low height and is reserved for the disabled.  In order to combat disabled placard abuse, DC is requiring all disabled to pay for parking on streets that are metered.  Yet, to comply with federal requirements, the special meters are low enough that they could be reached with a wheelchair and allow "double time".  Hence, if there is a 2 hour limit on the street, a disabled driver can pay for 4 hours at the special meter.

Yet, there is some confusion as to whether these are in force yet.  And furthermore, I'm not aware if the spot is reserved for disabled during hours when meters are not in operation (like nights and Sundays).  No clear answers.

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on October 24, 2014, 02:20:06 PM

The thing about DC is that sometimes there is no consistency in the signage.  I remember that about the time they were starting to charge for parking after 6:30 PM, I had met my family for dinner at a restaurant downtown.  The meters had stickers mentioning parking until 10 pm, but the signs had only said till 6:30 PM.  Did we have to pay for parking or not?  Who knows.

Best rule of thumb: Follow whichever sign is the most restrictive. In the situation you describe, pay so as to protect yourself, even if you think it may be unnecessary. The amount you lose if you pay when you don't need to do so will still be less than the amount you'll have to pay if you get a parking ticket. I follow that rule whenever I think signs might be inconsistent or otherwise confusing.

freebrickproductions

This lovely combo is at my old middle school here in Huntsville:

Handicapped people can and can't park here by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
The "No Parking" sign should say "in front of sign" on it because there's a handicapped parking zone underneath the awning in front of the school. The way it's set-up now makes it seem rather confusing.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bzakharin

In Philadelphia, metered parking signs of the type above often end with "Except Sunday". To those not familiar with the sign it is almost impossible to figure out what exactly Sundays exempt you from. In fact, you don't have to pay at all and there are no restrictions. It is even harder to figure this out with the old-style coin operated meters because it doesn't say "pay to park" anywhere on the sign.

freebrickproductions

Saw this on Tumblr today:

No bikes are allowed on the bike route I guess...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

If you can't bike or take your dog to the park, what on earth are you supposed to do there?

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 06, 2014, 08:40:29 PM
If you can't bike or take your dog to the park, what on earth are you supposed to do there?
Park (in designated lots).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

It doesn't prohibit smoking....

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

It doesn't prohibit smoking....

You have to light up before you enter the park though.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JMoses24

Quote from: NE2 on December 06, 2014, 09:09:55 PM
Park (in designated lots).

Unless you're driving a motor vehicle.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.