News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Towns whose main street has the name of the town itself

Started by KCRoadFan, June 07, 2023, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about how in the St. Louis suburb of Kirkwood, the main street is called...Kirkwood Road.

Throughout the country, what other cities and towns can you think of in which the main street of town has the same name as the town itself? I know that US 20 through Mentor, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, is named Mentor Avenue, while Friendswood Drive is the main street in Friendswood, Texas, a Houston suburb. Meanwhile, the main street of Wendover, Utah/West Wendover, Nevada, is called Wendover Boulevard - and of course, also in Nevada, the predominant north-south road in Vegas, which includes the Strip, is officially named Las Vegas Boulevard.

Aside from the ones mentioned above, what other such examples can you think of? I believe it's a pretty common thing out west, especially.

roadman65

Altamonte Drive in Altamonte Springs, FL.

Though locals call it four thirty-six, that is its route number, nonetheless it's not Semoran Boulevard like the rest of FL SR 436.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

In New England, it's much more common for street names to be of adjacent towns, where the street name tells you which town it goes to.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

zachary_amaryllis

Does South Boulder Road, ever actually touch Boulder?

The highway I live on (CO 14) is also known as Poudre Canyon Highway. so.. sorta close.

What if the reverse were true? Towns named after the road they're on? Nunn, CO could be just as simple as "US85sburg" or something.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Max Rockatansky

Las Vegas Boulevard in Las Vegas.  Similarly Boulder City Parkway/Highway (Old US 93) is the main road through nearby Boulder City. 

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Dough4872

The main street of Rehoboth Beach, DE is called Rehoboth Avenue.

kurumi

Quote from: 1 on June 07, 2023, 06:14:20 AM
In New England, it's much more common for street names to be of adjacent towns, where the street name tells you which town it goes to.

From that perspective, a street named after "yourself", like Fremont Boulevard in Fremont, California, seems a little conceited in comparison
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana, South Bend, Mishawaka and Elkhart all have eponymous streets, but none are really major streets in those cities.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kirbykart

Buffalo Street in Buffalo is a short dead-end residential street.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2023, 08:38:11 AM
Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monica, CA.

Very appropriate that you in particular would get that one given your autosignature!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Twin Cities examples

Minnetonka - Minnetonka Blvd
Chaska - Chaska Blvd
Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center - Brooklyn Blvd
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

zzcarp

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 07, 2023, 07:47:47 AM
Does South Boulder Road, ever actually touch Boulder?

South Boulder Road goes through the Boulder city limits, but I wouldn't consider it Boulder's main street. Broadway and Canyon would be Boulder's main streets.

Here in Westminster, we extended Westminster Boulevard as our "Main Street" through our new "downtown".

I'd say Thornton Parkway counts as well. While there is no real downtown Thornton, city hall is right off of Thornton Parkway.
So many miles and so many roads

jmacswimmer

There is a Baltimore St in Baltimore that is pretty important downtown along with its one-way partner Fayette St, and it also serves as the north-south divide for the city's address system. As Charles St is the east-west divide, the intersection of Charles St & Baltimore St could be considered the "center" of Baltimore. But I don't know if I'd call it the "main" street, as there are plenty of other equally busy streets throughout the area (among others, the Pratt-Lombard & Calvert-St. Paul one-way pairs come to mind).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

gonealookin

Carson Street in Carson City, Nevada, currently Business US 395 and, prior to the construction of the I-580 bypass, the main line of US 395 and (as to South Carson Street) US 50.

We have "Carson" naming after Kit Carson all over the place, including Carson Valley (a bit ironically, Carson City is in Eagle Valley, not Carson Valley) and Carson Pass.

Chris19001

Happens a few times in the Philly area with the various old "pikes" and their associated small towns.
Sumneytown Pike
Dublin Pike
Skippack Pike

pianocello

Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2023, 12:49:50 AM
Altamonte Drive in Altamonte Springs, FL.
Never heard of it.
Though locals call it four thirty-six, that is its route number, nonetheless it's not Semoran Boulevard like the rest of FL SR 436.
Ah, right, I suppose it actually does have a name. (my signature says I lived in Orlando, but my apartment was really in Altamonte Springs)

US 69 in Ankeny, IA is Ankeny Blvd.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Road Hog

This is actually pretty common all across North Texas. One of the big east-west roads in Plano is Plano Parkway. Other suburbs have taken to naming major thoroughfares after themselves. Seems to be the big thing in municipal planning these days.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on June 07, 2023, 06:14:20 AM
Michigan does that too where the name of the road will be the name of a town it goes through. The name usually changes in town though.

Dough4872

Quote from: Chris19001 on June 07, 2023, 04:52:20 PM
Happens a few times in the Philly area with the various old "pikes" and their associated small towns.
Sumneytown Pike
Dublin Pike
Skippack Pike

I know Dublin Pike (PA 313) becomes Main Street in the borough of Dublin but it is called Dublin Pike on both sides outside the borough limits.

Henry

There's also a Chicago Avenue in Chicago that is very important, which serves as the northern boundary of the Magnificent Mile and links the North and West Sides together. As far as being the "main" street of Chicago is concerned, there obviously are several, but the namesake street really isn't one of them. Michigan Avenue, Cermak Road, Archer Avenue and many others are far more important ones.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Revive 755

Best example I can think of in the Chicago suburbs is Palatine Road through Palatine, IL.

Then there are a few where the road with the town name goes through the downtown area but isn't really the "main" street:

* Algonquin Road through Algonquin - the perpendicular Main Street seems to be more of the main street.

* Arlington Heights Road through Arlington Heights - debatable if there is even a main street for Arlington Heights.

* Deerfield Road through Deerfield - the perpendicular IL 43/Waukegan Road seems to be the main street.

* Roselle Road through Roselle - the perpendicular IL 19/Irving Park Road seems more like the main street.

TheCatalyst31

In the Madison, Wisconsin area, the main street in Verona is Verona Avenue, and the main east-west street in Cottage Grove is Cottage Grove Road (though the north-south Main Street is probably more important). Both names come from Madison streets, though Verona Avenue isn't the same street as Verona Road in Madison anymore thanks to the US 18/151 bypass.

Madison does have a Madison Street, but it's a side street on the west side.

lepidopteran

There's Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills, CA.  While the "main" road is arguably Rodeo Dr. or Sunset Blvd., palm-tree-lined Beverly Dr. is often used as an establishing shot for the city in movies.  More famously, it was shown in the opening credits of The Beverly Hillbillies TV series.   (Not to be confused with Beverly Blvd., which only stub-ends into the city. That road might be more familiar as the location of CBS's Television City, and the address if you ever tried to get "The Price is Right" tickets.  The show recently moved to Glendale.)

Bruce

A few Seattle suburbs have a main street or major road with the same name:

Bellevue Way - arguably the most important north-south street in the city
Edmonds Way - carries SR 104 and most highway traffic into downtown Edmonds
Kirkland Way - the old east-west route into downtown
Redmond Way - the same road as above and also the old way into downtown
Everett Avenue - relatively minor but does carry freeway-bound traffic

And beyond the Puget Sound region:

Yakima Avenue
Kennewick Avenue
Burlington Blvd

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.