News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

Quote from: bzakharin on March 22, 2022, 12:37:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 21, 2022, 11:35:02 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/WwgySQgpbDtkPiCz9
What, out of curiosity, is the purpose of the traffic signal here?
It's apparently standard practice for tunnels in NJ. The lights are meant to turn red if there is an incident inside the tunnel. I'm not clear on whether all lights would turn red or only the one(s) above the lane(s) affected.

I get that point about the tunnel... but how does it qualify as a tunnel? Looks like just a relatively long underpass to me. Is there a length criteria?

jeffandnicole

It's apparently standard practice for tunnels in NJ. The lights are meant to turn red if there is an incident inside the tunnel. I'm not clear on whether all lights would turn red or only the one(s) above the lane(s) affected.

All will turn red if the tunnel needs to be closed.

Similar to the Trenton Tunnel.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZW6HPwqV583CnkeN9 , which I did see red once. They were flashing red. They were also universally ignored, and we all drove thru the tunnel anyway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 22, 2022, 12:50:01 PM

I get that point about the tunnel... but how does it qualify as a tunnel? Looks like just a relatively long underpass to me. Is there a length criteria?

I don't think there's any true guidelines regarding what a tunnel is or what needs to be done, so I guess it's in the mindset of DOT what it is. There's no traffic restrictions here either.

There will also be a longer tunnel for the 295 South to 42 South ramp, which will be a longated curve under 76/42. While a cut and cover tunnel, it will be a more true tunnel in that there will be the need for a pump station and/or ventilation. That's what this building is for, tucked between 76W and the ramp from 76E to 295N:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/wszENLSsSL9a6z1A8 .

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/XJEmAjMkhyvSXZVF8

I take that is the callapsed wall I take slowing the project down in the caption above.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2022, 04:49:54 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/XJEmAjMkhyvSXZVF8

I take that is the callapsed wall I take slowing the project down in the caption above.

At least currently, the wall doesn't have an effect on the timeline. The main reason for the slowdown had been the state needed more land from the cemetery to build the temporary bridge for Browning Road. They only needed 100 more feet or so, but the cemetery apparently was extremely tough in their negotiations, and the state refused to go through an eminent domain process with them.

The wall, no doubt, will eventually cause another delay, but that portion of roadway wasn't due to open for a few years, so they actually do have some time to repair the damage.

roadman65

That cemetery seems to be why the whole project is built the way it is in the first place. All having to be built in a narrow passageway over the existing north-south freeway including a three level crossing at Browning Road.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: famartin on March 22, 2022, 12:50:01 PM

I wanna say 180' equals a tunnel.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on March 22, 2022, 05:18:29 PM
That cemetery seems to be why the whole project is built the way it is in the first place. All having to be built in a narrow passageway over the existing north-south freeway including a three level crossing at Browning Road.

Yep, that cemetery has a lot to do with both the current and future routing. NJDOT was able to purchase some land from the cemetery to help squeeze in the future roadways. A questionably historic house that was taken had been used as the cemeteries' offices. NJDOT also bought land directly behind two mausoleums that the cemetery had plans for 2 additional mausoleum in the future. NJDOT took some housing on the west side of the interchange as well that had some regional significance, in which NJDOT funded new housing on available land in the same area.

BTW, I have 2 grandparents that are buried in this cemetary also.

Quote from: danlb_2000 on March 20, 2022, 07:40:39 AM
Another interesting area is the building at the corner Leaf and Harding Ave. I orginally assumed that they would be demolishing it but it now looks like the ramp will go over the building.

I'm trying to figure that one out myself. Took a ride in this area, and it appears that building is being used by the contractor for the project. Judging by the angles, it appears they can put the bridge piers over what remains of the building...barely! If I were to take a guess, after the contractor is finishing up the project and doesnt need the building anymore, the remainder of the building will be knocked down.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 23, 2022, 08:39:47 AM

I'm trying to figure that one out myself. Took a ride in this area, and it appears that building is being used by the contractor for the project. Judging by the angles, it appears they can put the bridge piers over what remains of the building...barely! If I were to take a guess, after the contractor is finishing up the project and doesnt need the building anymore, the remainder of the building will be knocked down.

That makes sense, especially since the intersection of Harding and Leaf is supposed to be reconfigured into a circle as part of this project.

roadman65

I know final resting places are very sacred. I'm sure people in Newark were in uproar when the Parkway was built dab center of a cemetery on CR 510.

My dad told me that many graves were disturbed to build the freeway then. 

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on March 23, 2022, 12:13:49 PM

That makes sense, especially since the intersection of Harding and Leaf is supposed to be reconfigured into a circle as part of this project.

That roundabout was removed from the final design. The intersection will be basically left as is for now.

jeffandnicole

https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/2022/05/31/nj-department-transportation-says-295-wall-collapse-complex-failure-direct-connection-route-42/7453712001/

QuoteA report prepared for the New Jersey Department of Transportation blames a "complex" failure for the collapse of a retaining wall at a Direct Connection roadway reconstruction site.

Among the failures: heavy rains, but also the wrong type of sand used in the wall's construction and a faulty foundation, said the report by Hardesty and Hanover LLC of New York...

DrSmith

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 31, 2022, 05:30:11 PM
https://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/2022/05/31/nj-department-transportation-says-295-wall-collapse-complex-failure-direct-connection-route-42/7453712001/

QuoteA report prepared for the New Jersey Department of Transportation blames a "complex" failure for the collapse of a retaining wall at a Direct Connection roadway reconstruction site.

Among the failures: heavy rains, but also the wrong type of sand used in the wall's construction and a faulty foundation, said the report by Hardesty and Hanover LLC of New York...

Maybe I am misunderstanding the quote from the article provided above..... It sounds like stating it is a complex failure because 2 different mistakes were made and heavy rain revealed them. If that is the interpretation, that seems amazing.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: DrSmith on May 31, 2022, 07:19:05 PM

Maybe I am misunderstanding the quote from the article provided above..... It sounds like stating it is a complex failure because 2 different mistakes were made and heavy rain revealed them. If that is the interpretation, that seems amazing.

There were more issues mentioned in the article, although not being an engineer, some of the failures weren't really failures.  However, it's like a bridge collapse.  Once one part fails, the other parts will fail with it.

02 Park Ave

Regarding the sections of the project currently in use, is it a certainty that appropriate sand was specified, columns, if used, were adequately designed, and soil was mechanically stabilized properly?
C-o-H

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 01, 2022, 11:59:39 AM

Regarding the sections of the project currently in use, is it a certainty that appropriate sand was specified, columns, if used, were adequately designed, and soil was mechanically stabilized properly?

They've all been up for several years without issue.  This one failed just under its own weight.  That pretty much answers this question.

odditude

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on June 01, 2022, 11:59:39 AM

certainty, no, but i have a feeling all of the submittals were re-reviewed with a fine-toothed comb after the failure.

jeffandnicole

This summary goes into a much greater detail of the collapse, especially in regards to the subsurface that we don't see. Well written summary of the report, with video as well.

https://42freeway.com/roads/direct-connection-wall-collapse-report-video/

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2022, 12:25:14 PM
This summary goes into a much greater detail of the collapse, especially in regards to the subsurface that we don't see. Well written summary of the report, with video as well.

https://42freeway.com/roads/direct-connection-wall-collapse-report-video/

A fascinating video.

My takeaway from it is that the main cause of the failure was the material they used under the wall. They chose sand since it allowed for easy drainage, but the area was wetter than they had anticipated, which apparently weakens the ability of the sand to withstand the weight it was to carry, which led to everything failing.

Past that, I'm amazed at all the engineering that goes into building an embankment like this. I would have thought that you just piled dirt up without really having to think too much about it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 03, 2022, 01:32:37 PM
Past that, I'm amazed at all the engineering that goes into building an embankment like this. I would have thought that you just piled dirt up without really having to think too much about it.

I think that's how most people think. They see the end product.  They don't understand why a project takes multiple years.  The stuff they don't see simply doesn't exist - even the drainage that keeps the water off the road.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 03, 2022, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 03, 2022, 01:32:37 PM

I think that's how most people think. They see the end product.  They don't understand why a project takes multiple years.  The stuff they don't see simply doesn't exist - even the drainage that keeps the water off the road.

Especially when, like in the image on the home page of this web site, it just looks like a pile of dirt with a flat top, much like you'd make in a sandbox.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

danlb_2000

This question has been answered, they did put the overpass over the building.

ekt8750

The new Creek Rd exit on NJ42 North opened this past weekend. Creek Rd has been renumbered to 14B with 14A being the future ramp to I-295 South.

bzakharin

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 25, 2022, 11:06:58 PM
The new Creek Rd exit on NJ42 North opened this past weekend. Creek Rd has been renumbered to 14B with 14A being the future ramp to I-295 South.
It won't be 1A to match the Southbound numbering? Does that mean Exit 1B will be renumbered as well? Will southbound exits be renumbered to match?

NJRoadfan

Southbound is signed Exit 14 currently. Remember this is firmly NJ-42 and uses its mileage for exits.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.