News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: Big John on April 29, 2024, 09:14:19 PMLike Amazon Prime. If you bundle your purchases and are willing to wait a couple days, you can get free shipping without paying the prime fees.
but I want it yesterday!!!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

No one got rich off of rewards points.  Not even the "Pepsi, Where's My Jet?" guy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on April 29, 2024, 08:50:09 PMPeople don't see the light or add figures up.

Some people don't add the figures up, and those people are the unscrupulous business's lawful prey.

roadman65

Some people even drive several miles from home to save money on food or gas, but if you're paying more in gas than you save, it's not worth it. The average person don't figure the math either but drive the extra miles to get a bargain.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

Another strategy mostly C-Stores are doing is the "bulk pricing" deals.  The ones that say MONSTER DRINKS -- 2 FOR $5, then in small print or one at regular price ($3.29)

Or the buy more/save more pricing: 
CANDY BARS
2 for $3.50
3 for $4.00
or one at regular price ($1.99)

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on April 29, 2024, 11:30:40 PMNo one got rich off of rewards points.  Not even the "Pepsi, Where's My Jet?" guy.

Well, only one. (Basically the Legend That Closed Every Loophole.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/pudding.htm

https://www.uselessinformation.org/pudding/index.html

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on April 30, 2024, 09:00:26 AM
Quote from: Rothman on April 29, 2024, 11:30:40 PMNo one got rich off of rewards points.  Not even the "Pepsi, Where's My Jet?" guy.

Well, only one. (Basically the Legend That Closed Every Loophole.)

https://www.flyertalk.com/pudding.htm

https://www.uselessinformation.org/pudding/index.html

Not sure if I'm reading that right.  The value of the points ended up being $25,000?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Some convenience store coffee rewards are worth a free cup if you frequent the store a lot for a caffeine fix to and from work.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mgk920

One that has always bugged me is misuse of the word 'home', used by many as a flowery, positive way of referring to a quaint detached single family house on a lot.  I have always considered 'home' to mean the place, whatever and wherever it is, where you live, reside, are domiciled, whereas 'house' is the physical structure.

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: mgk920 on April 30, 2024, 11:45:32 AM'home', used by many as a flowery, positive way

It's just one of those "code words" used by people selling real estate. Home sounds better than house, because it evokes the thought that you will be at home if you buy that property. A house is just a building. A home is a feeling.

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2024, 03:30:12 AMSome people even drive several miles from home to save money on food or gas, but if you're paying more in gas than you save, it's not worth it. The average person don't figure the math either but drive the extra miles to get a bargain.

And don't forget the wear and depreciation on the car.

kurumi

Quote from: GaryV on April 30, 2024, 12:03:22 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on April 30, 2024, 11:45:32 AM'home', used by many as a flowery, positive way

It's just one of those "code words" used by people selling real estate. Home sounds better than house, because it evokes the thought that you will be at home if you buy that property. A house is just a building. A home is a feeling.

Agreed, "home" should be singular and not allowed for advertising

"luxury townhomes" (condos)
"curb appeal" (if street is not 100% capacity with parked cars, you can see the curb)

and my favorite back in the day, "4 br 2 ba" (3/2 but they put carpet in the garage)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

CNGL-Leudimin

Google translating the reviews by default. C'mon, it's obvious I understand English perfectly, there's no need to translate everything into Spanish.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Rothman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2024, 02:22:09 PMGoogle translating the reviews by default. C'mon, it's obvious I understand English perfectly, there's no need to translate everything into Spanish.

No, es necesario traducirlo todo.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 30, 2024, 02:22:09 PMGoogle translating the reviews by default. C'mon, it's obvious I understand English perfectly, there's no need to translate everything into Spanish.
Related: YouTube forcing subtitles on despite me turning them off in the settings. Oh, and don't get me started on pausing the playlist I'm watching without my consent after a while.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ZLoth

Quote from: kurumi on April 30, 2024, 02:12:34 PM
Quote from: GaryV on April 30, 2024, 12:03:22 PM

Agreed, "home" should be singular and not allowed for advertising

"luxury townhomes" (condos)
"curb appeal" (if street is not 100% capacity with parked cars, you can see the curb)

and my favorite back in the day, "4 br 2 ba" (3/2 but they put carpet in the garage)

That's why you walk through the home prior to placing the offer. My "hardwood floors" is actually laminate that you can purchase from Costco. I still purchased it because it was one of the few available in that neighborhood in January. And, according to the definitions of Merniam-Webster for this context, a "house" is a "a building that serves as living quarters for one or a few families" while a "home" is "one's place of residence". It's those personal touches and adaptions that turns a house into a home.

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

elsmere241

Meanwhile, my wife wants to replace our couch.  Not that it isn't falling apart and hard to climb off of, but I'm not sure we can afford a new one right now.

vdeane

Quote from: vdeane on April 27, 2024, 05:14:03 PMIn a non-money related one, Vivaldi appears to have adopted Chrome's large-text menus rather than using the system menus with no option to change back.  Ugh.  Chrome's are ugly and too big.
To follow up, it appears that Google is forcing this change on all Chromium-based browsers.  Between this and the Chromium adblocker woes (which I had hoped to avoid with Vivaldi, but Vivaldi is no longer able to block ads on YouTube, and paying for YouTube Premium feels like rewarding Google for their bad behavior).

Because of all this, I'm very seriously considering switching to Firefox, but there are a couple problems: Firefox doesn't have a way to block JavaScript on a per-site basis (necessary for getting around some adblock detectors and news paywalls), and doesn't appear to be an equivalent of the reading list (especially not in any way that can be synced between desktop and mobile), a feature I have come to rely on not only for saving pages for later, keeping track of where I am for reading fanfic or online serials, but also in doing all this while switching between my computers and phone.  I can get around the JavaScript problem with extensions (probably, haven't looked into it, but I had with Vivaldi before the one I used stopped working, at which point Vivaldi had the feature so I never found a new one), but the lack of a reading list is a deal-breaker, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about my YouTube problems for now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

I had an appointment to get my new driver's license today, so last night I made sure to take a shower and shave to appear presentable for the photo. And of course I cut myself shaving (which is something I hardly ever do). So my clumsiness will be immortalized in government records for the next eight years.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2024, 03:45:05 AMI had an appointment to get my new driver's license today, so last night I made sure to take a shower and shave to appear presentable for the photo. And of course I cut myself shaving (which is something I hardly ever do). So my clumsiness will be immortalized in government records for the next eight years.

What I take from this is showering is not a routine activity for you. :D

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2024, 07:02:05 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2024, 03:45:05 AMI had an appointment to get my new driver's license today, so last night I made sure to take a shower and shave to appear presentable for the photo. And of course I cut myself shaving (which is something I hardly ever do). So my clumsiness will be immortalized in government records for the next eight years.

What I take from this is showering is not a routine activity for you. :D

And now we have an answer to this discussion about why "full-body deodorant" exists.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

I normally shower every other day because I'd like the lake to keep having water in it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

It gets tough when you can't count on your graywater becoming (after treatment) a downstream user's drinking water.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2024, 05:19:57 PMI normally shower every other day because I'd like the lake to keep having water in it.

Perhaps you should live somewhere where the fluid your life depends on is more dependable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.