Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

"Do you/we have enough gas?"

(1/7) > >>

ZLoth:
The current fingernails-on-chalkboard phrase for me is "Do you have enough gas?" with the variant "Do we have enough gas?"

This phrase is driving me up the wall at the moment thanks to my mother. Mind you, both vehicles have an idiot light that comes on as well as a screen message that tells me "Low Fuel" where the estimated fuel range is about 40-45 miles. In addition, the fuel gauge on both vehicles do not go down at a consistent rate, so a half-tank isn't really a half-tank. Yet, my mother keeps asking me "Do you have enough gas?"

Now, this isn't driving eastbound I-70 near Salina, Utah where they have this sign stating "No Service For The Next 110 Miles":

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9166436,-111.8810321,3a,75y,47.34h,100.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sn6Cw67YWI5hpTpPBzGKWYg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu (Replaced Sign)
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9307705,-111.8656125,3a,75y,45.01h,97.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN9BnmZJX86sO3p0K2RukFA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Yeah, I'll be topping off there no matter what since the next services stop is at Green River, Utah. This is the Dallas-Fort Worth, where there is practically a service station at almost every corner. On a Texas Interstate outside a metro area, there is a service once every few miles. She starts driving me up the wall even when the tank is half-full. Her reasoning goes back about fourty years ago when we took a drive up to Yosemite, the pickup was running on fumes, and we happen to catch a gas station just as they were locking their doors. Uh, mom, I'm not dad, and I have this app called GasBuddy which tells me where the nearest stations are and the pricing. Also, it is very unlikely we are driving at 10 PM at night anymore.

Big John:
Waiting for Bandit's response.  :popcorn:

CtrlAltDel:
I think I've been criticized here before for never letting the tank get less than half full, but I never let the tank get less than half full, since my plan in any sort of emergency is to get in the car and drive away.

Max Rockatansky:
Gas Buddy isn’t going to help anyone in Yosemite.  There is two stations in the park and not many anywhere near the exterior of the park boundary.  The station in Wawona (the one I’m certain is being referenced) is often among the highest priced in the country because it is intended to be a last resort

Bruce:
GasBuddy is useless in the rural Northwest since there's no one going around updating stations on a regular basis (and the owners don't bother). Prices are usually days out of date, if present at all, and hours don't often line up with real-world operations.

My rule of thumb is to not cross the mountains with anything less than 2/3rds of my tank. Never know when something could go terribly wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version