News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2019, 11:34:45 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48630093916/in/dateposted-public/
This one in Atlanta, Texas is interesting as TexDOT uses freeway style (large) shields on a regular arterial.  I think this assembly is cool despite it being ordinary!

The last time (1995) signs were replaced along I-95 between Reading and Lynnfield, the contractor chose to install freeway size shields for the junction markers on secondary roads (despite there being details for smaller shields on the plans and sign summary).  A number of them were immediately removed due to objections from adjacent property owners (one was placed on the lawn of a senior housing center).  Others are still in place, but are now incomplete (missing 'JCT' plates).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Here's a couple of interesting uses of old signs. In Port Chester, New York, there's a custom motorcycle shop that deliberately uses the wrong New York State and US shields. It's US 1 on an NYS shield, and NY 22 on a US shield. NY 22 doesn't go anywhere near Port Chester, but that was still the route they chose for their own sign.

There are also some fake road signs in Downtown DeLand, Florida on US 17/92 that are evidently a form of street art which blocks a parking lot entrance. Google Street View isn't covering it, and I haven't posted my pics of it from the June 2019 daytrip I took yet. So I suppose I'll have to post them in the Wikimedia Commons and deal with the copyvio scrutiny when that time comes.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

KEVIN_224

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 28, 2019, 12:38:56 PM
Here's a couple of interesting uses of old signs. In Port Chester, New York, there's a custom motorcycle shop that deliberately uses the wrong New York State and US shields. It's US 1 on an NYS shield, and NY 22 on a US shield. NY 22 doesn't go anywhere near Port Chester, but that was still the route they chose for their own sign.

They could've used a cutout from Connecticut. The Byram River and state line are immediately behind the building! :)

ErmineNotyours

Neon blankout US 99 shield at 4th & Westlake in Seattle, December 1941.  Normally 99 would go straight (left) through here before the viaduct, when US 10 went north through here.  Perhaps the neon is activated when they want 99 traffic to turn right due to conditions.  Notice the arrow on top.  "Aurora" is on top where "US" should be, and "US" is below where the state should be.  In the background workers are installing an air raid siren.  In the foreground is a drinking fountain with a working dog trough.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48651036797/

Whoever did this sign for adding IH 369 could have also noticed the lettering needs work also.  Part new and definitely mostly old.

Though quite common it's also quite ironic to have an exit sign on an entrance ramp.

Sheryl Crowe

ipeters61

Took a photo of this Maryland custom "WARNING !!" sign as US-220 approaches the stoplight for I-68 from Pennsylvania.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadsguy

Quote from: ipeters61 on September 01, 2019, 10:00:16 PM
Took a photo of this Maryland custom "WARNING !!" sign as US-220 approaches the stoplight for I-68 from Pennsylvania.

I've always liked Maryland's pictures of diamond signs against black backgrounds on signs like that.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/CHy4L2iwXHZSUdcv8
US 15 does not get mentioned going S Bound which is more than strange as it very well does so. 

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 02, 2019, 01:48:32 PM

I've always liked Maryland's pictures of diamond signs against black backgrounds on signs like that.
Better than this.https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48650439118/

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

I think this is an interesting sign, so I'm posting it here.
I noticed the provision for this type of sign in the MUTCD before one was ever put into practice, wondering about the type of scenario that could put one to good use.  This is for eastbound cars on the main east-west street accessing downtown Plainfield, as it rises to pass over I-55.  Immediately after the crest is a right turn onto an eastern frontage road to I-55.  Eastbound cars can have a hard time anticipating traffic coming from the right (GSV).

Hill Blocks View by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

vdeane

Today I discovered that the Little Town of Bethlehem has started using its own design for hamlet signs.  The previous signage was the generic style.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48693222753/in/dateposted-public/
Arkansas across the state line in Texas.  Usually AR uses JCT xx on their guides leading to another route.    Plus IH 30 is over 1.5 miles away and gets the JCT like its right there to the left immediately as is US 82 to the right here at an intersection in Texarkana, TX.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 06, 2019, 12:56:33 PM
I noticed the provision for this type of sign in the MUTCD before one was ever put into practice, wondering about the type of scenario that could put one to good use.  This is for eastbound cars on the main east-west street accessing downtown Plainfield, as it rises to pass over I-55.  Immediately after the crest is a right turn onto an eastern frontage road to I-55.  Eastbound cars can have a hard time anticipating traffic coming from the right (GSV).

We'd need hundreds of those signs in Seattle alone. Lots of weird things happen when you force a grid on a glacier-sculpted hillside.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48698724918/in/dateposted-public/
I found this one here.  If you look on the signal pole there is an unusual sign saying " Train Blocking Richmond Rd. When Flashing."

I am guessing there is a nearby rail crossing and this sign is posted where drivers have access to another route that bypasses the crossing.  We have one now similar in Lakeland, FL where drivers have a neon lit sign (when the train is present) way before the CSX crossing on Florida Avenue saying to use nearby SR 563 which has an underpass at the rail line.  In addition TO US 98 (N Bound) and TO FL 37 (S Bound) are present now beyond the CSX underpass directing you back to Florida Avenue as that particular road is both of them routes on both sides of FL 548 which runs two blocks to the north of the CSX freight line.

Sheryl Crowe

CardInLex

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2019, 10:03:16 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48698724918/in/dateposted-public/
I found this one here.  If you look on the signal pole there is an unusual sign saying " Train Blocking Richmond Rd. When Flashing."

I am guessing there is a nearby rail crossing and this sign is posted where drivers have access to another route that bypasses the crossing.  We have one now similar in Lakeland, FL where drivers have a neon lit sign (when the train is present) way before the CSX crossing on Florida Avenue saying to use nearby SR 563 which has an underpass at the rail line.  In addition TO US 98 (N Bound) and TO FL 37 (S Bound) are present now beyond the CSX underpass directing you back to Florida Avenue as that particular road is both of them routes on both sides of FL 548 which runs two blocks to the north of the CSX freight line.

Similar situation in Louisville on I-265. There are not one but two flashing warning panels to tell traffic to take the next exit when a train is blocking Chamberlain Lane. "Chamberlain Lane Traffic"  is the way to describe the KY Ford Truck Plant (almost 9,000 employees) without putting a specific name on the sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/VivwsBp7mGj3BFFY8

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on September 07, 2019, 05:44:03 PM

We'd need hundreds of those signs in Seattle alone. Lots of weird things happen when you force a grid on a glacier-sculpted hillside.

The worst situation seems to be when driving along single-track neighborhood streets (with parking along either side), and you come to the crest of a hill. Best advice is to roll down the window and listen for other cars. Seems dangerous, but the roads aren't well-trafficked, and the narrowness of the street keeps traffic speeds low.

But you're right. You'd need an insane number of these signs. They're not used already, I suspect, because drivers are expected to watch for this already.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 29, 2019, 11:14:46 PM
Neon blankout US 99 shield at 4th & Westlake in Seattle, December 1941.  Normally 99 would go straight (left) through here before the viaduct, when US 10 went north through here.  Perhaps the neon is activated when they want 99 traffic to turn right due to conditions.  Notice the arrow on top.  "Aurora" is on top where "US" should be, and "US" is below where the state should be.  In the background workers are installing an air raid siren.  In the foreground is a drinking fountain with a working dog trough.

That is an amazing sign. I wonder why it says "Aurora" rather than Washington. 

frankenroad

Quote from: Bruce on September 07, 2019, 05:44:03 PM

We have lots (maybe even hundreds) of them here in and around Cincinnati.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

jeffandnicole

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2019, 05:20:43 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on September 02, 2019, 01:48:32 PM

Better than this.https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48650439118/
Peretty good, but I like the Maryland one better. I forget where, but I've seen that on a lot of other roads within the state.

D-Dey65

jakeroot

Long gone, but similar to other signs I've posted before about "road planned to be extended in the future", used primarily by Pierce County, WA. This sign was in Thurston County, WA (the road was actually "connected"):

https://goo.gl/maps/EJZFH8nisdrF81pc9

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.