News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

If you're familiar with US 322 out near Hamilton, Atlantic County, NJ, you've probably seen the kiddie version of the Jersey Barrier.  https://goo.gl/maps/VrdW1kZajJAXuZbQ8  Per NJDOT, it only measures 13" high. And per this Press Release for an upcoming virtual public meeting, it's going to be removed and a standard 32" jersey barrier put in its place. https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/pubmeet/details/Handbook_20200714_111148_FINAL_Virtual_PIC_Bulletin_NJ_Rt_322_Flyer.pdf

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 23, 2020, 03:34:47 PM
If you're familiar with US 322 out near Hamilton, Atlantic County, NJ, you've probably seen the kiddie version of the Jersey Barrier.  https://goo.gl/maps/VrdW1kZajJAXuZbQ8  Per NJDOT, it only measures 13" high. And per this Press Release for an upcoming virtual public meeting, it's going to be removed and a standard 32" jersey barrier put in its place. https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/uploads/comm/pubmeet/details/Handbook_20200714_111148_FINAL_Virtual_PIC_Bulletin_NJ_Rt_322_Flyer.pdf
Any idea why the kiddie barrier was installed? (Sorry if it's in the link, didn't click yet)

Alps

Quote from: famartin on July 23, 2020, 07:26:48 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 23, 2020, 03:34:47 PM
Any idea why the kiddie barrier was installed? (Sorry if it's in the link, didn't click yet)
It was one of the original test subjects for barrier. I made the case to NJDOT to save a piece of it for posterity, since I believe it's the last remaining pre-standardization barrier left, and as far as I know they will.

Alps

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 23, 2020, 01:15:58 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 23, 2020, 12:14:03 PM
Quote from: storm2k on July 23, 2020, 09:08:19 AM
Quote from: Alps on July 22, 2020, 11:30:13 PM
Trying to figure out just what these ubiquitous signs are. Environmental stations?
https://goo.gl/maps/bdhbybEFcpzUeYbk6

Look like some sort of groundwater monitoring thing. Can't tell if it's a NJDEP thing or from one of the private water companies. Maybe both, who knows.
I've seen them in a lot of places, mainly in north Jersey around Morris County.

The sign with the numbered "hat?" I think those are underground telephone lines (One with a similar style outside of a Verizon building, maybe a vestige of Bell, similar style for AT&T).
Thanks!

storm2k

Drove to Hillsborough the other night. Saw some more signs as they get ready for the 206 bypass to open. I'm confused. Are they going to move 206 to the bypass and turn the old road over to the county or give it another route number or something? It looked like there were very new signs that continued to call the bypass 206 bypass and made it look like actual 206 would continue on its original path. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose a bit?

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on July 27, 2020, 02:29:53 AM
Drove to Hillsborough the other night. Saw some more signs as they get ready for the 206 bypass to open. I'm confused. Are they going to move 206 to the bypass and turn the old road over to the county or give it another route number or something? It looked like there were very new signs that continued to call the bypass 206 bypass and made it look like actual 206 would continue on its original path. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose a bit?

In this age of GPS, not likely.

Mr. Matté

Steve already answered the question the first time you asked it. :)

Quote from: Alps on June 01, 2020, 10:11:53 AM
Quote from: storm2k on June 01, 2020, 07:21:31 AM
Drove up 206 through Hillsborough yesterday for the first time in a while. Looks like both ends of the bypass are pretty far along. Northern end was turned into a T with a loop jughandle from the northbound bypass onto southbound 206 so for now traffic has to slow down to about 10mph to make the turn to continue on their trips.

Couple of questions:

1. What's the state's plan for routing once the bypass is complete? In olden times, they would move the US Route off of the bypassed roads and give it a 1xx state route number (e.g., 159, 166, 183, etc.) but I've heard that isn't their procedure anymore? Will they move 206 onto the bypass and then just hand the old road over to Somerset county to sign it as a 6xx county road or nothing at all?

2. Is the southern end of the bypass south of Amwell Road still going to be a divided super 2? That's such a not-Jersey thing. Only other place I know of them really doing that is part of the 33 bypass of Freehold, which always felt like a project wrought with some poorly thought out design choices (as evidenced by it having an exit that was so poorly designed that it never was allowed to open).
1. Going back to town maintenance.
2. The whole thing is a 2 to 4 lane divided expressway, not really a super 2.

In terms of signage, the only ones that would really have to be scrapped are the traffic signal blades and the mileposts. I bet the old road isn't going to be turned over to Hillsborough right away once it fully opens, they can just uncover the greenouts on the directional signs and give them a little bit more use. With the mileposts though, the ones that are currently installed appear to also have a greenout with "Business" [sic] tacked on (kinda can see it here) but if the southern section opens, I wonder if they are going to move all the mileposts down (thus making "Business" US 206 mile 0 at Mountainview Road).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on July 27, 2020, 06:01:32 AM

Route numbers are still changed when necessary. DE does it all the time. NJ and PA did it with 95/295. It's not a transportation department's problem to worry about how a 3rd party program works.

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 27, 2020, 08:18:44 AM
Quote from: famartin on July 27, 2020, 06:01:32 AM

Route numbers are still changed when necessary. DE does it all the time. NJ and PA did it with 95/295. It's not a transportation department's problem to worry about how a 3rd party program works.

What I mean, is that using "Bypass 206" on the new alignment and keeping regular 206 on the old one is not likely to affect travel decisions significantly.

roadman65

The bypass most likely will get the mainline as not many places have a specific bypass with a mainline.   NJ is one that even does not like to designate many business routes hence NJ 183, NJ 166, and NJ 179 as many states do like to. 

I think it was mentioned on here that it was to be local control once done and no state route for Old US 206. 

I am though disappointed that its only two lanes as for decades they were always talking about four laning US 206 through there.  Instead it drops from four to two lanes just south of Duke Gardens Estate as if NJ 92 was ever to be built, NJDOT would have had it four lanes from the proposed ending of the never built freeway to the Somerville Circle (or just south of it as US 206 was always four lanes to the intersection south of the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line overpass) as part of a shortcut to the NJ Turnpike.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 28, 2020, 10:13:08 AM
The bypass most likely will get the mainline as not many places have a specific bypass with a mainline.   NJ is one that even does not like to designate many business routes hence NJ 183, NJ 166, and NJ 179 as many states do like to. 

I think it was mentioned on here that it was to be local control once done and no state route for Old US 206. 

I am though disappointed that its only two lanes as for decades they were always talking about four laning US 206 through there.  Instead it drops from four to two lanes just south of Duke Gardens Estate as if NJ 92 was ever to be built, NJDOT would have had it four lanes from the proposed ending of the never built freeway to the Somerville Circle (or just south of it as US 206 was always four lanes to the intersection south of the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line overpass) as part of a shortcut to the NJ Turnpike.

There are actually plans in the latest STIP for them to upgrade the roadway from Brown Ave to the bypass to four lanes. IIRC, the biggest holdup was the money to rebuild the Conrail overpass so it could have four lanes pass underneath, and it looks like they've worked that out. When done, they'll finally have a full four lane roadway from the circle to the southern end of Hillsborough (where the current bypass goes down to a divided two lane roadway). I would imagine that there'd be a love to eventually upgrade the roadway to four lanes all the way to Princeton, but I'm pretty sure both cost and wealthy NIMBY's will keep that in fictional territory for all time.

famartin

Quote from: storm2k on July 28, 2020, 12:26:22 PM

There are actually plans in the latest STIP for them to upgrade the roadway from Brown Ave to the bypass to four lanes. IIRC, the biggest holdup was the money to rebuild the Conrail overpass so it could have four lanes pass underneath, and it looks like they've worked that out. When done, they'll finally have a full four lane roadway from the circle to the southern end of Hillsborough (where the current bypass goes down to a divided two lane roadway). I would imagine that there'd be a love to eventually upgrade the roadway to four lanes all the way to Princeton, but I'm pretty sure both cost and wealthy NIMBY's will keep that in fictional territory for all time.

Having driven through there enough times, it seems like the mix of local and thru traffic should be eliminated, so perhaps only 2 lanes will suffice for now.

Alps

This leaves a half mile before you get to the next overpass and Great Rd. It would be tremendous if they could four-lane that half mile.

roadman65

Looks like the north end of the bypass will provide a seam less link between existing US 206 and the new bypass with current 206 as a T at the end in the north. 

https://goo.gl/maps/6W5PR7DPhq4WE7jN6

Also I thought that the bypass would remain east of the former Reading Railroad, but I see it crosses back over to the west and will intersect existing US 206 at the Belle Meade Hospital.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 28, 2020, 10:15:37 PM
Looks like the north end of the bypass will provide a seam less link between existing US 206 and the new bypass with current 206 as a T at the end in the north. 

Also I thought that the bypass would remain east of the former Reading Railroad, but I see it crosses back over to the west and will intersect existing US 206 at the Belle Meade Hospital.

That's correct. Currently, you have to make an awkward 90 degree right turn through the construction zone to continue southbound on 206 with a 10mph speed restriction. I believe there will be a second turn lane and maybe some kind of slip ramp once they're done with all the work so traffic continuing straight through onto the bypass won't get stuck behind people slowing down to make the turn.

RE: the southern end, the original plans were to have the bypass run all the way down to the area of Township Line Rd/Pike Run way back when they were developing the bypass, but I believe local opposition and logistics both served to torpedo that idea, so they moved the end of the bypass to where it is now.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on July 28, 2020, 05:24:17 PM

This leaves a half mile before you get to the next overpass and Great Rd. It would be tremendous if they could four-lane that half mile.

Are you referring to the southern bit from where the bypass ends to the rebuilt bridge over the Conrail line that finally eliminated the Z turn the road used to have to take? I've never heard of Great Rd in either Hillsborough or Montgomery.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 29, 2020, 08:51:40 AM

That's correct. Currently, you have to make an awkward 90 degree right turn through the construction zone to continue southbound on 206 with a 10mph speed restriction. I believe there will be a second turn lane and maybe some kind of slip ramp once they're done with all the work so traffic continuing straight through onto the bypass won't get stuck behind people slowing down to make the turn.

RE: the southern end, the original plans were to have the bypass run all the way down to the area of Township Line Rd/Pike Run way back when they were developing the bypass, but I believe local opposition and logistics both served to torpedo that idea, so they moved the end of the bypass to where it is now.

The same NIMBYs who killed the Somerset Freeway and  also is whytook so long to even get US 206 its current 4 lanes south of Raritan.  My former boss from 1988, who lived in Hillsborough at the time, said Doris Duke once used her influence to stop US 206 from being the country road in front of her estate by threatening the area with an AIDS hospital on her estate where as at the time people were paranoid of people with that immune disease, so locals stood forward and Doris Duke got her way.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 29, 2020, 09:14:21 AM

The same NIMBYs who killed the Somerset Freeway and  also is whytook so long to even get US 206 its current 4 lanes south of Raritan.  My former boss from 1988, who lived in Hillsborough at the time, said Doris Duke once used her influence to stop US 206 from being the country road in front of her estate by threatening the area with an AIDS hospital on her estate where as at the time people were paranoid of people with that immune disease, so locals stood forward and Doris Duke got her way.

Yes, I believe her death was one of the main things that allowed the project to get restarted in the mid 90s, as the expansion to Brown Road was finally built in 1999.

civilmaher

Did a "virtual drive-thru" of this since I haven't been down US 206 towards Princeton in a while. Didn't realize that there's a pre-1927 renumbering bridge on this stretch: https://goo.gl/maps/X7uQN2xQsm5RGa5i9

So the section of US 206 being bypassed will have changed four times in numbering: NJ 16 --> NJ 31 --> US 206 --> unnumbered Township roadway?
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

Mr. Matté

Breaking away from one project on the end of Central Jersey to the other side: Two traffic circles' yield signs locations were converted to be more like modern roundabouts: NJ 34 and CR 524 and NJ 35 and CR 524 Spur

civilmaher

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 29, 2020, 02:34:32 PM
Breaking away from one project on the end of Central Jersey to the other side: Two traffic circles' yield signs locations were converted to be more like modern roundabouts: NJ 34 and CR 524 and NJ 35 and CR 524 Spur

That's what happens when you try to sign and stripe a traffic circle like a roundabout.  :-D

Let's see if drivers get used to it.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: civilmaher on July 29, 2020, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 29, 2020, 02:34:32 PM

That's what happens when you try to sign and stripe a traffic circle like a roundabout.  :-D

Let's see if drivers get used to it.

I saw that done in one instance near me.  It's been a few years now, and some drivers still aren't used to it.  The ones that seem to have the biggest issue are those already in the circle, who want to stop for those entering the circle.  They have the right of way now, and should continue going.

NJRoadfan

I kinda wish there was a camera pointed at the circle on NJ-34 right now. The "old" rules had folks in the circle yielding to mainline traffic on NJ-34 (a 55MPH divided highway). It might get a bit ugly out there.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 29, 2020, 07:16:06 PM
I kinda wish there was a camera pointed at the circle on NJ-34 right now. The "old" rules had folks in the circle yielding to mainline traffic on NJ-34 (a 55MPH divided highway). It might get a bit ugly out there.
Yes it will.  I work not far from there and go through that circle all the time.  One of my coworkers almost got taken out by northbound 34 traffic running the new yield.  That circle has always been horrible and needs to just be completely replaced with a light.  Crossing 34 on 524 could take forever at times pre-change.  It also gets very heavy shore traffic coming and going from the Parkway and backed up on the approaches even before the yield (due to traffic stacking to make a left in the circle). The Wall police need to park some patrol cars in the circle for awhile (which they already occasionally did on the nearby 35/Atlantic Ave. circle pre-change...)

storm2k

I'm not really sure why NJDOT hasn't tried to remove either of those circles after all these years. Especially after undoing the Brielle Circle years ago. I'm hard pressed to think that a light and some jughandles wouldn't be better options at this point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.