News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdunlop

Quote from: RoadPelican on June 27, 2024, 01:59:21 PMOn the flashing red signals, it's a good idea to have signs for awareness.

Kind of like "Left turn must yield on solid green" or "U-turn must yield to right turn"
These signs are only at some intersections, but should be at all.

The best solution is to hook up traffic signals to generators but I guess that would cost to much money.

I wonder if there has been a feasibility study on this?

These intersections have traffic lights for a reason!

The flashing red is only if the signal malfunctions, which is relatively rare; the most common occurrence is probably restarting after a power outage.  Not going to put 10,000 intersections' worth of signs for this very infrequent situation.

The yield on green ball signs are going away with the flashing yellow installations, not that they were frequently needed, either.  The U-turn yields to right turn signs are needed to resolve a conflict; I agree that they are needed at all such conflicts, but will take time for that.  (I've noticed while driving in other states that North Carolina is probably the most aggressive in signaling the right turn movement as an overlap, which creates the conflict.). Fortunately, it hasn't created too many crashes, nor does the yield usually create a capacity problem (U-turn blocking the lefts.)

Generators have become more frequently available for long-term outages as municipalities stockpile them; they weren't a reasonable option say 15 or so years ago.  But still only a relative handful compared to the number of intersections.  For most intersections, portable stop signs (conversion to all-way stop condition) is sufficient.  During Hurricane Florence (IIRC), Wilmington installed what we believe was the first temporary roundabout at one of their major intersection.  That was quickly expanded to other (limited) locations, and is now in the tool box for long-term outages.

PColumbus73

Quote from: jdunlop on June 27, 2024, 09:55:44 PM
Quote from: RoadPelican on June 27, 2024, 01:59:21 PMOn the flashing red signals, it's a good idea to have signs for awareness.

Kind of like "Left turn must yield on solid green" or "U-turn must yield to right turn"
These signs are only at some intersections, but should be at all.

The best solution is to hook up traffic signals to generators but I guess that would cost to much money.

I wonder if there has been a feasibility study on this?

These intersections have traffic lights for a reason!

The flashing red is only if the signal malfunctions, which is relatively rare; the most common occurrence is probably restarting after a power outage.  Not going to put 10,000 intersections' worth of signs for this very infrequent situation.

The yield on green ball signs are going away with the flashing yellow installations, not that they were frequently needed, either.  The U-turn yields to right turn signs are needed to resolve a conflict; I agree that they are needed at all such conflicts, but will take time for that.  (I've noticed while driving in other states that North Carolina is probably the most aggressive in signaling the right turn movement as an overlap, which creates the conflict.). Fortunately, it hasn't created too many crashes, nor does the yield usually create a capacity problem (U-turn blocking the lefts.)

Generators have become more frequently available for long-term outages as municipalities stockpile them; they weren't a reasonable option say 15 or so years ago.  But still only a relative handful compared to the number of intersections.  For most intersections, portable stop signs (conversion to all-way stop condition) is sufficient.  During Hurricane Florence (IIRC), Wilmington installed what we believe was the first temporary roundabout at one of their major intersection.  That was quickly expanded to other (limited) locations, and is now in the tool box for long-term outages.

I think such a sign would be better as a VMS message, or some other safety campaign ad or billboard. Perhaps the latter two would work better than signing every intersection.

Mergingtraffic

Maybe I'll have better luck here, I'll be driving through NC soon. I'm looking to get pics of temp freeway stubs, or completed or almost completed roads not open yet or signs with blank spaces for future interstates.

I'll be driving through from northeast to ATL.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

snowc

Quote from: fillup420 on June 25, 2024, 07:32:28 PMAbout a month ago, NC DOT announced that they would be changing traffic signal programming throughout the state to default to flashing red in all directions during signal issues (power outage, equipment failure, etc). I couldn't find anything yet posted about this decision, and I want to know yall's thoughts.

Personally, while i understand the motivation here is for the safest possible scenario, i don't think it is going to have the effect the NC DOT is anticipating.

There are many intersections where this should definitely be implemented. It is theoretically the safest option during signal issues. However, there are countless major intersections (Capital Blvd or Glenwood Ave come to mind), where traffic volume is consistently high enough that this will likely cause more chaos than it prevents.

Imagine trying to go from central Raleigh to RDU via Glenwood Ave, with every single stoplight as an all-way stop. Even during off-peak times, it would create an absolute slog, with every signalized intersection now a guessing game on who's turn it is to go from all the multi-lane sides.

That doesn't even take into account the drivers that will just ignore or misunderstand the new rules. Today i encountered this situation for the first time, at a medium sized intersection in Pinehurst (3-way, two through lanes each direction, with turn lanes). I saw 4 cars roll right through the flashing red, with one making no indication of stopping. The other three slowed down, then rolled on through.

So what do y'all think? Good idea or nah?
Like this traffic signal?
southeastern road geek since 2001.
here's my clinched counties https://mob-rule.com/user/snowc
and my clinched roads https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=snowc
i'm on kartaview as well https://kartaview.org/user/computer-geek
wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BryceM2001

snowc

Quote from: snowc on July 09, 2024, 10:29:26 AM
Quote from: fillup420 on June 25, 2024, 07:32:28 PMAbout a month ago, NC DOT announced that they would be changing traffic signal programming throughout the state to default to flashing red in all directions during signal issues (power outage, equipment failure, etc). I couldn't find anything yet posted about this decision, and I want to know yall's thoughts.

Personally, while i understand the motivation here is for the safest possible scenario, i don't think it is going to have the effect the NC DOT is anticipating.

There are many intersections where this should definitely be implemented. It is theoretically the safest option during signal issues. However, there are countless major intersections (Capital Blvd or Glenwood Ave come to mind), where traffic volume is consistently high enough that this will likely cause more chaos than it prevents.

Imagine trying to go from central Raleigh to RDU via Glenwood Ave, with every single stoplight as an all-way stop. Even during off-peak times, it would create an absolute slog, with every signalized intersection now a guessing game on who's turn it is to go from all the multi-lane sides.

That doesn't even take into account the drivers that will just ignore or misunderstand the new rules. Today i encountered this situation for the first time, at a medium sized intersection in Pinehurst (3-way, two through lanes each direction, with turn lanes). I saw 4 cars roll right through the flashing red, with one making no indication of stopping. The other three slowed down, then rolled on through.

So what do y'all think? Good idea or nah?
Like this traffic signal?

or even this traffic signal where the poles are attached to a battery backup?
southeastern road geek since 2001.
here's my clinched counties https://mob-rule.com/user/snowc
and my clinched roads https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=snowc
i'm on kartaview as well https://kartaview.org/user/computer-geek
wikipedia too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:BryceM2001

architect77

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 08, 2024, 10:55:26 PMMaybe I'll have better luck here, I'll be driving through NC soon. I'm looking to get pics of temp freeway stubs, or completed or almost completed roads not open yet or signs with blank spaces for future interstates.

I assume you will traverse NC using I-85. The state prioritized it over the last 25 years as it's the most used by residents pay gas taxes their entire lives. It's quite nice especially through Salisbury to Charlotte. If you have the time, turn around and experience I-85 Northbound from Charlotte to Salisbury.---The graceful inclines, nicely-built interchanges, 8-lanes and decent signage all together are perfection. One of the East Coast's finest.

Mapmikey

NC 159 is being shortened/rerouted to the US 64 bypass interchange at Zoo Connector
https://xfer.services.ncdot.gov/gisdot/DOTDELetters/2024/05_May/Div08/HTO_076_05-24.pdf

The change to delete US 1A through Franklinton that was in a recent AASHTO meeting also has gone through

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 08, 2024, 10:55:26 PMMaybe I'll have better luck here, I'll be driving through NC soon. I'm looking to get pics of temp freeway stubs, or completed or almost completed roads not open yet or signs with blank spaces for future interstates.

Can't think of any "spots reserved for interstate shields" you'll find more empty spaces due to removed/relocated routes.  Most of the time the signs just get an overlay here  - 840 being added to 785 being an odd exception.

As for the nearly completed but not open freeway - just spend time in Raleigh or Winston.

As for stubs - check with Bob's work on the latest. 

CanesFan27

It's not only Interstates that we are aggressively expanding.

North Carolina has had a busy 18 months on the rails. Additional services, funding for rail expansion, and the battle between Norfolk Southern and the City of Charlotte is almost resolved.

Read More

https://www.gribblenation.org/2024/07/north-carolina-continues-to-move.html

froggie

^ Nice add of the Can Opener...

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on July 14, 2024, 08:36:56 PM^ Nice add of the Can Opener...

...and reuseable too.

Love2drive

Question for the board.  Why aren't there lane restrictions on tractor-trailers on Interstate 85 between Charlotte and the 85/285 split like they are on 40/85?   I've driven that stretch a few times this week, and have been frustrated by the big rigs slogging down the left lanes.  A few times yesterday they were 4 wide for a period.  :banghead:

sprjus4

Quote from: Love2drive on July 26, 2024, 09:51:12 PMQuestion for the board.  Why aren't there lane restrictions on tractor-trailers on Interstate 85 between Charlotte and the 85/285 split like they are on 40/85?   I've driven that stretch a few times this week, and have been frustrated by the big rigs slogging down the left lanes.  A few times yesterday they were 4 wide for a period.  :banghead:
Given North Carolina is one of the few states that still doesn't require the left lane be reserved for passing only, it doesn't surprise me honestly.

Trucks should be banned in the left lane of any freeway with 3 or more lanes in either direction - urban or rural area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.