Regional Boards > Northeast

I-95/Penna Turnpike Interchange

<< < (3/581) > >>

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: SignBridge on February 27, 2014, 05:07:51 PM ---This long overdue project is not exactly proceeding rapidly. Heck, the whole original New Jersey Turnpike was built in what, 2 years??? 
--- End quote ---

Yes, in the late 40's/early 50's, when the population was a fraction of what it is now and the existing roads would require hours to drive compared to the speed of the turnpike, and when environmental regulations didn't exist, OSHA didn't exist, and a death every few months was considered acceptable, it only took about 2 years to build the turnpike.

Quote tag fix ~S

NE2:

--- Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 27, 2014, 10:04:48 PM ---And yet...look how long it took to get a direct connection between I-87 and I-84! :(

--- End quote ---
lOl I-790

SteveG1988:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2014, 10:22:10 PM ---
--- Quote from: SignBridge on February 27, 2014, 05:07:51 PM ---This long overdue project is not exactly proceeding rapidly. Heck, the whole original New Jersey Turnpike was built in what, 2 years??? 
--- End quote ---

Yes, in the late 40's/early 50's, when the population was a fraction of what it is now and the existing roads would require hours to drive compared to the speed of the turnpike, and when environmental regulations didn't exist, OSHA didn't exist, and a death every few months was considered acceptable, it only took about 2 years to build the turnpike.

Quote tag fix ~S

--- End quote ---

it is also easier to build on a new alignment than to build onto an existing infastructure.

vdeane:
In the case of the I-84 interchange, it looks like the Thruway pre-dated I-84 by several years.  Early topo maps even show a partial trumpet with NY 17K.

--- Quote from: NE2 on February 27, 2014, 10:54:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 27, 2014, 10:04:48 PM ---And yet...look how long it took to get a direct connection between I-87 and I-84! :(

--- End quote ---
lOl I-790

--- End quote ---
I-790 actually did have a direct connection... up until the moment it was upgraded to a freeway.

Henry:
From the PA Turnpike/I-95 Interchange Project website, here are four cool presentations of what the finished product will look like.

Drive-Through West-East: Transition from I-276 East to I-95 North
Drive-Through South-North: Transition from I-95 North to I-195 East
Flyover East-West
Flyover South-North

The buildings, trees and even the high-mast streetlights make it look a lot like the real thing! However, I've read that the "I-195" depicted here may actually become I-395 instead. Here's the completed interchange as it will look below:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version