National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

August 5, 2017 Twin Cities meet

(1/19) > >>

froggie:
Eating my own crow regarding planning a meet very early, but I'd like to gauge interest and potentially coordinate since there was some discussion in another thread of timing the Alaska and Twin Cities meets for those who might drive out to Alaska and attend both.

I realize that this is the same timeframe that cl is considering for a Southeast Adirondacks meet, but I am limited in my available time window for heading out to Minnesota.

Itinerary is TBD and may be determined by another poll.  That said, if there is anything those of you interested in a Twin Cities meet would like to see, please share.

EDIT:
Date:  Saturday, August 5, 2017
Time:  12:30pm CDT
Location:  the Parking Ramp (local vernacular for garage) at The Shops at West End, St. Louis Park, MN.  Access it from Duke Dr between Gamble Dr and W 16th St.  We'll meet on the 3rd level of the ramp/garage as close to the 394 end as possible.  This should be a fairly safe place for folks to park as we do the tour, which I've estimated will take about 5 hours total.

We will begin by driving and then seeing the recently completed MN 100 upgrade (last segment of that route to be upgraded from its original 1930s/40s configuration).  We will then drive part of the Minneapolis Chain of Lakes parkway system enroute to the river bridges.  We will begin with the historic (National Register and all) Mendota Bridge near Fort Snelling and work our way up the Mississippi, either driving over or walking onto most of the Mississippi River bridges in Minneapolis, concluding with the newly replaced Lowry Ave Bridge.

Time permitting, we will then do a drive by of the just-completed MN 610 freeway, then head back to the start point.  My 5 hour estimate above includes this MN 610 leg.  For those into that sort of thing, my current plan for MN 610 would net the following clinches:  MN 252, MN 610 west of MN 252, MN 101, and US 169 from US 10/MN 101 to I-394.

There will not be a formal lunch for this meet (hence the 12:30 start).  However, I plan on doing lunch at the nearby Noodles & Co. around 11:30am, and those who would like to join me are more than welcome to do so.

hbelkins:
I've never been there, but I'd be game for anything.

I selected all four options, but I'm curious as to whether any of them are around the time of the Minnesota State Fair. There's an annual event that's usually held in conjunction with the state fair that I'd like to attend if the meet is in the same time frame.

froggie:
Unfortunately, it's not.  Minnesota State Fair is always the 4th Thursday in August through Labor Day.  Because of that timing, we're unable to head west for the fair because our Fall semester has already begun by then.

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: froggie on October 14, 2016, 05:23:33 PM ---Unfortunately, it's not.  Minnesota State Fair is always the 4th Thursday in August through Labor Day.  Because of that timing, we're unable to head west for the fair because our Fall semester has already begun by then.

--- End quote ---

No Cat Vid Festival for me then.  :-D

A.J. Bertin:
I definitely want to attend a Twin Cities meet. I voted for the latter two dates. That means I'll probably cast votes for late July or early August for the Alaska meet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version