News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities that completed their freeway network

Started by Molandfreak, August 15, 2014, 07:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Are there any U.S. cities that successfully managed to avoid massive freeway revolts and lawsuits, resulting in the completion of their entire freeway network as was planned in the '50s in one form or another?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

I believe the entire state of North Dakota is complete, and was so (with some two-lane interstates as planned) by the mid-60s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex4897

There are none if you go by FritzOwl's standards. :sombrero:
👉😎👉

froggie

Possibly some of the smaller cities that didn't have much (any) planned outside of whatever Interstate mileage they received.

But it wasn't just "massive freeway revolts and lawsuits" that killed urban freeways.  Many freeway proposals died simply due to a lack of funding.  Then there were others (such as Olson Hwy or MN 65 North in Minneapolis) that were cancelled because it was later determined that they were not needed.

roadman65

I would imagine that Wyoming is complete.  As it really has no need for a massive road network and its largest city Cheyenne is fine with two interstates (yes I do not consider I-180 an interstate as its not a freeway). 

Then South Dakota I do not think had any other plans for freeways other than its two primaries and the two three digit city routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alex

Pensacola probably. I imagine there are many other smaller sized cities that are deemed complete.

OCGuy81

Houston, perhaps?  Not sure what their 1950s plan(s) entailed, but the hub and spoke system with two, soon three, outer loops seems pretty complete.

agentsteel53

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 15, 2014, 10:43:47 AM
Houston, perhaps?  Not sure what their 1950s plan(s) entailed, but the hub and spoke system with two, soon three, outer loops seems pretty complete.

a related question would be: how many cities have a wholly adequate freeway network?  Houston might; I don't know its traffic patterns, but I do know that the expansion of the Katy Freeway to levels well beyond what the 1950s planners imagined (9 lanes each way, IIRC) really eased the congestion in that part of the city.

jake@aaroads.com

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2014, 10:07:08 AM
But it wasn't just "massive freeway revolts and lawsuits" that killed urban freeways.  Many freeway proposals died simply due to a lack of funding.  Then there were others (such as Olson Hwy or MN 65 North in Minneapolis) that were cancelled because it was later determined that they were not needed.
I know; I imagine folks know what I mean through context. Any reason for canceling at a later date... I don't see why you felt the need to write that.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

People read context differently.  The way I read your post, it looked like you were attributing all of the later freeway cancellations to protests/lawsuits.

1995hoo

I was going to suggest Honolulu, but then I discovered there was a proposed Interstate H-4 once upon a time.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2014, 11:17:50 AM
I was going to suggest Honolulu, but then I discovered there was a proposed Interstate H-4 once upon a time.

wasn't H-4 supposed to be built over the water?  and, if so, was that a serious proposal, or just some bizarre "the future is now!" slideshow presentation by some technology-worshipping madman?

jake@aaroads.com

OCGuy81

Quotewasn't H-4 supposed to be built over the water?  and, if so, was that a serious proposal, or just some bizarre "the future is now!" slideshow presentation by some technology-worshipping madman?

Please tell me it was planned to go over the water to another island that's nothing more than the volcano/base of some evil Bond type villain!

Sorry for getting off topic, but that's exactly what came to mind when you said madman!  :bigass:

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2014, 11:29:18 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2014, 11:17:50 AM

wasn't H-4 supposed to be built over the water?  and, if so, was that a serious proposal, or just some bizarre "the future is now!" slideshow presentation by some technology-worshipping madman?

Oscar's website says this, which at least sounds like a serious proposal:

QuoteShort-lived proposal, prepared by Hawaii DOT in October 1968, to build elevated Interstate freeway along the waterfront south of downtown Honolulu, from Keehi Interchange JN Interstate H-1 Queen Liliuokalani Freeway (H-1 exit 18) to Kapiolani Interchange JN Interstate H-1 Lunalilo Freeway (H-1 exits 25A-B); route would have roughly followed Former state route 90 Dillingham Boulevard, and State route 92 Nimitz Highway and Ala Moana Boulevard, east to Ala Moana Shopping Center, then curved northeast along the Ala Wai Canal to rejoin Interstate H-1; Hawaii DOT considered and rejected putting part of route in submerged tunnel offshore; appears to have been prepared in response to Federal legislation authorizing additional mileage for Interstate system, which gave Hawaii DOT a chance to snag some of the new Interstate miles and the additional Federal funds that would come with them; proposal appears to have died quickly, with no mention in Hawaii DOT annual reports after fiscal year 1969; unclear whether it was killed off by public opposition, or rather (more likely) lost out to various mainland projects in the competition for the new authorized Interstate system mileage

(Source: http://www.hawaiihighways.com/oahu.htm )

If Oscar sees this, maybe he can comment on whether it was really viable or just something they wrote up as a strawman-type thing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TEG24601

Actually, I can only think of Flint, MI, because I have never seen any proposals for additional freeways, even with the wide spot on I-75 near Flushing Rd.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

agentsteel53

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 15, 2014, 11:32:00 AM
Sorry for getting off topic, but that's exactly what came to mind when you said madman!  :bigass:

I was thinking more someone in the Dr. Strangelove vein - not necessarily evil, but someone completely detached from humanity and unable to see the proverbial big picture.

see also: Edward Teller, who was said to be the inspiration for the character.

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Houston is close, except for the canceled Harrisburg Freeway (225 extension west) that was probably the only instance of a freeway revolt in that city.

Are there any major projects that were left unconstructed in Dallas or San Antonio?

Kansas City almost qualifies but for the non-freeway portions of Watkins Drive/US 71.

For California...both San Diego and San Jose have cancelled freeway projects (252, 171, 157, and the 905 extension west of 5 for SD, 87 north of 101 for SJ) but proportionally have 90% of their proposed networks completed.  Fresno might eventually have its network complete to 100% yet it covers only 4 numbered routes total (99, 180, 41, 168).

Las Vegas doesn't seem to have any notable route cancellations yet.

Does Salt Lake City have anything proposed that remains unconstructed?

Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on August 15, 2014, 11:51:58 AM
Las Vegas doesn't seem to have any notable route cancellations yet.

Vegas and Salt Lake City cannot seem to get ahead on widening I-15 before demand is reached.  through both cities, 15 is a perpetual construction zone.

jake@aaroads.com

pianocello

I'm pretty sure all of the freeways that were planned in the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City area were built. I think the same is true for Des Moines.

Was SR-201 ever supposed to be upgraded west to the Salt Lake and signed as part of I-80? I know I remember seeing a proposal like that here in the forum, but I'm not sure if it was the original plan or just someone's idea.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2014, 11:11:44 AM
People read context differently.  The way I read your post, it looked like you were attributing all of the later freeway cancellations to protests/lawsuits.
I guess I was by mistake. I really only meant for it to be an example... ah well

froggie

QuoteI'm pretty sure all of the freeways that were planned in the Cedar Rapids-Iowa City area were built.

IA 100.

Regarding I-H4, yes that was a serious proposal from 1968.  There was a study report submitted, which I have seen at the state archives (when I was on a short Pearl Harbor Navy trip) and also a PDF I have.

DTComposer

For California...both San Diego and San Jose have cancelled freeway projects (252, 171, 157, and the 905 extension west of 5 for SD, 87 north of 101 for SJ) but proportionally have 90% of their proposed networks completed.

However, the Santa Clara County Expressways were all (or mostly) intended to become freeways in a second phase that was lost to funding issues, so it could be argued that San Jose's freeway network is a lot less completed than planned.

Urban Prairie Schooner

I would think all of the freeways ever formally planned for Baton Rouge are complete (considering also that the proposed loop 410 evolved into the spur 110). Of course the freeway system was designed for a much smaller city so that isn't saying much.

Bruce

Seattle never finished their network, which would have ruined it more than I-5 and the Alaskan Way Viaduct did:

Arterial thoroughfare plan, 1957 by Seattle Municipal Archives, on Flickr

Molandfreak

Quote from: roadman65 on August 15, 2014, 10:13:26 AM
Then South Dakota I do not think had any other plans for freeways other than its two primaries and the two three digit city routes.
I think an x90 spur to Pierre was once planned, which resulted in four-laning U.S. 83. I don't know how far the freeway proposal got to reality though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.